Texas State Fair Carry Rules

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 15

Re: Texas State Fair Carry Rules

Post by Grayling813 »

chasfm11 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 8:26 am For me, the reductio ad absurdum aspect of this is the degree to which the organization running the State Farm must adhere to ANY of the the rules of the City of Dallas. If they are truly an independent situation, then none of the Dallas specific laws and rules must be adhered to. But I'm wiling to bet that many of Dallas's regulated areas are adhered to and even inspected by Dallas employed people with consequences to the State Fair organization if compliance is not complete and correct. As soon as the organization is under the control of the Dallas government for anything, it is under that control for everything. I would start that argument with the Dallas Police. Dallas PD is there enforcing laws as set by the City of Dallas. I believe food vendors are the same and probably the rides are controlled as well. It might even go as far as livestock. Otherwise, the State Fair organization is half-pregnant.
Good argument. I wonder if the laws specifying that the city has jurisdiction over inspection and licensing of the food booths, rides and other vendors are clearer that the city has the right/responsibility to enforce inspection and licensing of the State Fair vendors.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

carlson1 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 3:27 pm I am not buying the whole “non-profit” status the Fair claims to begin with. They make a profit on just their parking.
Annual report for 2023: https://bigtex.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... t_2024.pdf

I'm not a CPA but it sure looks like the State Fair turned a profit last year. Perhaps another angle for AG Paxton is to review the Fair's tax-exempt status.
StateFairFinancial.png

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

Grayling813 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 10:21 am
carlson1 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 3:27 pm I am not buying the whole “non-profit” status the Fair claims to begin with. They make a profit on just their parking.
Annual report for 2023: https://bigtex.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... t_2024.pdf

I'm not a CPA but it sure looks like the State Fair turned a profit last year. Perhaps another angle for AG Paxton is to review the Fair's tax-exempt status.

StateFairFinancial.png
Just to clarify, a non-profit can make a profit (and should try to have some level of positive revenue to build a reserve fund to ensure sustainability.). They must funnel the money they retain back into their activities. For example, the Plano Balloon Festival I’m involved with is a 501(c)3 non-profit. They put money back to other non-profit and charities in Collin County. They do retain profits for years where they actually fall short of expected revenue intake so they don’t go belly-up if they have a problem. For instance, in 2018 the park flooded from almost 12” of rain opening night and they had to totally cancel the festival at last minute. If they hadn’t had the reserve operating fund, they would not have been able to have resumed the next year. Additionally, most non-profits pay their full-time officers and staff a reasonable salary.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

jmorris
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jmorris »

carlson1 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 3:27 pm
rtschl wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 3:16 pm Attorney General Ken Paxton Files Appeal to Prevent Unlawful State Fair of Texas Firearms Ban From Taking Effect:

https://x.com/TXAG/status/1838308472263447021
I know either way it will be repealed again so there is probably a very slim chance anything changes this year. The only way I see this making a difference is if the state Fair looses money. I am not buying the whole “non-profit” status the Fair claims to begin with. They make a profit on just their parking.
Either Dallas is keeping all parking revenue (para 2) or splitting the $30, taking their $10.
PARKING AND TRAFFIC
1. Events at Fair Park are subject to paid parking at any time. City of Dallas will manage paid parking services through its parking traffic management contractor. You may request to lease trams from the city parking vendor, subject to their availability.
2. City of Dallas will provide traffic control when a parking fee is charged. The City of Dallas retains all parking revenues. The parking rate is $10.00 per car for guests attending a Fair Park Administration during November -April, and $15 per car May - August months.

And being non-profit doesn't mean they don't make money, just means anything over operating expenses has to fund something else.

If it were otherwise I could have declared my business a non-profit in fact, just not in jest.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

rtschl wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 3:16 pm Attorney General Ken Paxton Files Appeal to Prevent Unlawful State Fair of Texas Firearms Ban From Taking Effect:

https://x.com/TXAG/status/1838308472263447021
Appeals court also ruled against law abiding citizens exercising their constitutional rights.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 18

Post by carlson1 »

The Texas Supreme Court Denies AG Paxtons petition for the Stste Fair of Texas. :mad5

https://www.click2houston.com/news/loca ... s-gun-ban/
Speaking for the court in it’s opinion, Justice James D. Blacklock said the state’s presentation to the court took no position on whether the State Fair of Texas, a private entity, has the legal authority to ban guns from the Fair.
“This Court cannot possibly order the State Fair to allow handguns to be carried at this year’s Fair when the party seeking that relief does not even argue that Texas law obligates the Fair to do so,” Blacklock said in the opinion.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Paladin »

Just in case anybody missed this:

Shooting outside State Fair of Texas leaves 1 injured
It happened around 10:30 p.m. on Thursday near the Gurley Avenue gate outside the fairgrounds.
We all know gun bans don't work... but this one failed pretty quickly in just the way we expected.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

I think they would argue that the ban did work since the shooting was “outside” the fair grounds.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

cyphertext wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 7:20 am I think they would argue that the ban did work since the shooting was “outside” the fair grounds.
:iagree:

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

cyphertext wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 7:20 am I think they would argue that the ban did work since the shooting was “outside” the fair grounds.
Sigh. Sadly yes. They still have not explained how an unauthorized person got in last year :mad5

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

I'll add, I do not plan on going to the Fair in the foreseeable future. There was probably a 20 year span I didn't go to the Fair. I only go for the auto show and food.

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 4:01 pm I'll add, I do not plan on going to the Fair in the foreseeable future. There was probably a 20 year span I didn't go to the Fair. I only go for the auto show and food.
Yall should message the East Texas State Fair and let them know that an auto show would greatly increase your interest.... :cheers2:
:tiphat:

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 4:39 pm Yall should message the East Texas State Fair and let them know that an auto show would greatly increase your interest.... :cheers2:
:tiphat:
I think there might be confusion about what you are and are thinking. I'm talking about a manufacturers auto show and not a car show put together with local cars. The auto show that the Texas State Fair is pretty big. I've driven a diesel Nissan Titan on a test track put together by Nissan one year. I was driven around a test track in a Dodge supercharged TRX by a driver. I played around on a Dodge Viper video simulator. Doubt the East Texas State Fair can match this.

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

Yeah, the East Texas State Fair in Tyler is a LOT smaller than the State Fair in Dallas. It would definitely be cool if they had a manufacturer auto show here, but I doubt it will ever happen.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”