Texas State Fair Carry Rules

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Rex B
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Texas State Fair Carry Rules

Post by Rex B »

Thanks SRothstein. I have replied to the writer with all the above.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

ajwakeboarder
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ajwakeboarder »

Rex B wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 8:49 am I am in an email discussion with the KERA reporter who wrote their story on this. Can anyone help me find the stature that prohibits firearms bans on govt/publicly owned property, regardless of what organization is using it at the time?
I believe it’s 411.209 of the Texas Government code
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

ajwakeboarder wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 10:43 am I believe it’s 411.209 of the Texas Government code
Thanks for that.

Now who wants to head over there and be video'd while being turned away?
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Paladin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Paladin »

Some important facts came out in this recent article: Guns banned, security increased at State Fair following last year’s shooting
Officials said the suspect didn’t have a valid license to carry a gun.
So it was illegal for last years shooter to have a gun and that fact and security did not stop him from having a gun. But now they are stopping people who are properly licensed and did not commit any crime from carrying guns.
The fair will continue to use an open gate system for weapon detection. The fair used the system for the first time last year. The technology, which is provided by the weapon detection company GXC, detects dense metal like knives or guns as people walk past. It doesn’t require guests to empty their pockets or take off their bags.

It’s still unknown how last year’s gunman got a firearm past the open gate system, officials said.

“We unfortunately may never know how he got the gun inside,” Condoianis said. “After the investigation was completed, that has not been determined.”

...The suit by Araujo and her husband, Pedro Ortega, alleges the companies failed to enforce policies and procedures and were negligent in their hiring and supervision. It alleges Turner passed directly through security with a semi-automatic pistol, according to the couple’s attorney.

The filing said that security guard company Andy Frain Services had no video surveillance at the fair’s entrance and may have failed to stop Turner when it knew he had a weapon. It alleges that GXC Inc. may have failed to detect the gun and alert personnel.
They clearly have not identified or solved the problems that allowed last years shooting, but instead are creating a bigger problem preventing law abiding licensed carriers, in violation of the law. This is clownworld at its absurdest.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Paladin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Paladin »

No info on the criminal history of the shooter Cameron Turner who was 22 at the time. I have to imagine our Soros DA was intentionally letting Turner have the run of the city.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

JRG

Post by JRG »

Well, if I cannot carry, I shall NOT attend!

Joe

Mel
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mel »

Ditto!
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

RottenApple
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RottenApple »

JRG wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 8:37 pm Well, if I cannot carry, I shall NOT attend!

Joe
Same. Which is a shame. We had wanted to take our granddaughter there. She turns 5 this month and would probably love it (though not the heat). But if I can't keep her and my wife safe, and my wife can't cover me if needed, then no thanks.

I wonder how many potential patrons don't go because of this policy...

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

This reporter has responded with a letter from the OAG regarding the Fort Worth Zoo where we had the same issue.
It states the OAG has determined the Zoo can post legal 30.06 signs because they operate the zoo and the city has no part in that.

The situation seems identical to the State Fair case. What am I missing?
-----------

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Grayling813 »

Rex B wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 3:23 pm This reporter has responded with a letter from the OAG regarding the Fort Worth Zoo where we had the same issue.
It states the OAG has determined the Zoo can post legal 30.06 signs because they operate the zoo and the city has no part in that.

The situation seems identical to the State Fair case. What am I missing?
That the Attorney General’s Office has made no such determination regarding the State Fair?

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

Here is the letter he linked to:

https://www2.texasattorneygeneral.gov/f ... th_Zoo.pdf

This is news to me.

Is the State Fair of Texas a registered non-profit?
And why does this make a difference?
-----------

srothstein
Posts in topic: 6

Post by srothstein »

Rex B wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 10:46 pm Here is the letter he linked to:

This is news to me.

Read the letter carefully. It does not say the signs can be enforced, just that they are not illegally posted. The loophole which they crawl through is that the law making it illegal to post 30.06 signs only applies to the government agency (in this case, the City of Dallas) and not to any other person or organization. If I go post a big 30.06 sign on the fence around the Capitol in Austin, I am not violating the law that says the state cannot post. Of course, my sign has no legal bearing on whether you can carry inside the Capitol or not. This is what the State Fair Association is saying they did.

Obviously, my analogy is slightly flawed because DPS would take down my sign as soon as they saw I posted it, but the legal principal is the same. The State Fair Association can post any sign they want because they are not the government. It doesn't mean that 30.06 applies to anyone because the law is still the same and says it does not apply on state owned land.
Steve Rothstein

carlson1
Posts in topic: 18

Post by carlson1 »

srothstein wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 11:31 pm

This is news to me.

Read the letter carefully. It does not say the signs can be enforced, just that they are not illegally posted. The loophole which they crawl through is that the law making it illegal to post 30.06 signs only applies to the government agency (in this case, the City of Dallas) and not to any other person or organization. If I go post a big 30.06 sign on the fence around the Capitol in Austin, I am not violating the law that says the state cannot post. Of course, my sign has no legal bearing on whether you can carry inside the Capitol or not. This is what the State Fair Association is saying they did.

Obviously, my analogy is slightly flawed because DPS would take down my sign as soon as they saw I posted it, but the legal principal is the same. The State Fair Association can post any sign they want because they are not the government. It doesn't mean that 30.06 applies to anyone because the law is still the same and says it does not apply on state owned land.
So you go to the gate at the fair as always and tell the security guard you need to see the police officer. You show the officer your LTC and he says, “you are not allowed to carry here.” Worse he climbs down and places you in handcuffs for walking past the sign. Then what?

JRG

Post by JRG »

RottenApple wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 9:19 am
JRG wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 8:37 pm Well, if I cannot carry, I shall NOT attend!

Joe
Same. Which is a shame. We had wanted to take our granddaughter there. She turns 5 this month and would probably love it (though not the heat). But if I can't keep her and my wife safe, and my wife can't cover me if needed, then no thanks.

I wonder how many potential patrons don't go because of this policy...
Yep! With the fair being in East Dallas, which is a bad area anyway, I do not want to be unprotected. I used to try to go often, but have not been in several years. Now, it appears, it may be several more years until I am able to attend.

Joe

JRG

Post by JRG »

carlson1 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 11:44 pm
srothstein wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 11:31 pm

This is news to me.

So you go to the gate at the fair as always and tell the security guard you need to see the police officer. You show the officer your LTC and he says, “you are not allowed to carry here.” Worse he climbs down and places you in handcuffs for walking past the sign. Then what?
Very true Carl. I do not go where I am not wanted.

Joe

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”