Whataburger's Gun Policy (Ugh)..........

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 53

Re: Whataburger's Gun Policy (Ugh)..........

Post by Taypo »

jmra wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote: My hope is not to call anyone a Pelosi, but when my opinion is minimized by labeling me militant or some other endearing term it's frustrating to say the least.
Are people really minimizing your opinion, or are you frustrated because the majority on this board simply do not agree with it, and tend to believe the property owner is within their right to not allow OC?

I'm from California, I haven't ever had the majority opinion on any gun issue. Any business can operate how ever they see fit, however I don't have to like it.
I just never thought I'd be to conservative for a Texas gun website
I would argue that the belief in property rights is also a conservative value. I would say that allowing the market to decide if the business made a sound decision is also extremely conservative... and in this case, it appears that the market is fine with WB's decision. Again, with only 3% of Texans being CHL holders, to have WB state that they are still going to allow CHL is still a win. They very easily could have "asked" us to leave all guns at home, or even go as far as legally posting.
Those are valid points, and I appreciate them. So let me ask this, do we know of any hamburger joints that will allow OC? That way we all win!
How I wear my firearm will not be the determining factor in where I buy a burger. The burger itself will be the determining factor. I don't go out to eat to make a political statement, I go out to eat because I enjoy the food.
:iagree: The voice of reason

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 32

Post by cyphertext »

Richbirdhunter wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote: My hope is not to call anyone a Pelosi, but when my opinion is minimized by labeling me militant or some other endearing term it's frustrating to say the least.
Are people really minimizing your opinion, or are you frustrated because the majority on this board simply do not agree with it, and tend to believe the property owner is within their right to not allow OC?

I'm from California, I haven't ever had the majority opinion on any gun issue. Any business can operate how ever they see fit, however I don't have to like it.
I would argue that the belief in property rights is also a conservative value. I would say that allowing the market to decide if the business made a sound decision is also extremely conservative... and in this case, it appears that the market is fine with WB's decision. Again, with only 3% of Texans being CHL holders, to have WB state that they are still going to allow CHL is still a win. They very easily could have "asked" us to leave all guns at home, or even go as far as legally posting.
Those are valid points, and I appreciate them. So let me ask this, do we know of any hamburger joints that will allow OC? That way we all win!
Hopefully other businesses will take the wait and see approach, and see how many of their customers actually OC, and if they get any complaints. I suspect we will see quite a bit of OC at first, and then less after the novelty dies down... even with OC, a sidearm is still somewhat uncomfortable and heavy, and many still will not carry. The further you get away from the big cities, the more OC will be accepted.

McDonald's, Dunkin Donuts, and Baskin Robbins have previously stated that they expect their stores to follow local, state, and federal laws regarding open carry. I take that to mean that it would not be an issue there... but I don't like McDonald's. :cheers2:

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

jmra wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
cyphertext wrote:

How I wear my firearm will not be the determining factor in where I buy a burger. The burger itself will be the determining factor. I don't go out to eat to make a political statement, I go out to eat because I enjoy the food.
Would you eat at a restaurant that was posted 30.06?

Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 19

Post by Richbirdhunter »

cyphertext wrote:
jmra wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
cyphertext wrote:

I don't, I don't go to AMC theaters or most places that choose to be gun free zones.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

cyphertext wrote:
jmra wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
cyphertext wrote:

Im a member at a posted gym and I buy groceries at a posted grocery store, because the service and the food is worth it. If that makes me anti-gun, so be it.

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

Taypo wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
jmra wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
cyphertext wrote:

Im a member at a posted gym and I buy groceries at a posted grocery store, because the service and the food is worth it. If that makes me anti-gun, so be it.
I shop at Kroger, great service, friendly staff they make a point to hire handicapped employees and they are not a gun free zone
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

Richbirdhunter wrote:
Taypo wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
jmra wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
cyphertext wrote:

I shop at Kroger, great service, friendly staff they make a point to hire handicapped employees and they are not a gun free zone
Congratulations?

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Taypo wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
I don't think that makes you anti gun... It just means that you have other priorities that override the inability to carry your firearm at those particular locations. I can respect that, not that you asked for my approval or anything! :cool:

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Richbirdhunter wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
I don't, I don't go to AMC theaters or most places that choose to be gun free zones.
I can respect this view as well. Since AMC posted, I have avoided them too... more out of my convenience though than a purposeful boycott. Usually we go to the movies on a whim, and I don't like to leave a firearm in my vehicle when parked at a theater or a mall, so if we are out and about and I am carrying we find a different theater than AMC.

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

cyphertext wrote:
Taypo wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
I don't think that makes you anti gun... It just means that you have other priorities that override the inability to carry your firearm at those particular locations. I can respect that, not that you asked for my approval or anything! :cool:
Lol. Approval is always welcome amongst peers. To be honest, Ive got a Kroger 3 minutes from my house that I do most of my shopping at but I love Sprouts, especially when I'm trying to stay on the healthy train.

I respect the principals involved, but my CHL doesn't override the rest of my life. If I want to go into a posted location, I will. Obviously I'd prefer they weren't but I'm not going to drive 30 minutes further and pay an extra $4 a pound for trail mix at Central Market just so I can carry for the 5 minutes it takes to buy it. No disrespect to those of you who do. Just not gonna be that guy.

The theater I go to isn't posted, luckily.

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

Taypo wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
Taypo wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
jmra wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
cyphertext wrote:

Congratulations?
Thank you!

jmra
Posts in topic: 40

Post by jmra »

cyphertext wrote:
jmra wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
cyphertext wrote:

No, I said "how I wear my firearm", I can't wear my firearm at a place posted 30.06.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

WinoVeritas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WinoVeritas »

I will eat, shop, do any business any where that I wish regardless of their gun stance or politics. I always CC except where not allowed.

VMI77
Posts in topic: 15

Post by VMI77 »

Massad Ayoob on open carry: http://dailycaller.com/2015/07/14/massa ... led-carry/
Concealed Means Concealed

If your local license requires concealed carry, keep the gun truly concealed. The revealing of a concealed handgun is seen in many quarters as a threat, which can result in charges of criminal threatening, brandishing and more. A malevolent person who wants to falsely accuse you of threatening them with a gun will have their wrongful accusation bolstered if the police find you with a gun where they said it was. Yes, that happens. Some jurisdictions allow “open carry.” I support the right to open carry, in the proper time and place, but I have found over the decades that there are relatively few ideal times or places where the practice won’t unnecessarily and predictably frighten someone the carrier had no reason to scare.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

TXBO
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by TXBO »

VMI77 wrote:Massad Ayoob on open carry: http://dailycaller.com/2015/07/14/massa ... led-carry/
Concealed Means Concealed

If your local license requires concealed carry, keep the gun truly concealed. The revealing of a concealed handgun is seen in many quarters as a threat, which can result in charges of criminal threatening, brandishing and more. A malevolent person who wants to falsely accuse you of threatening them with a gun will have their wrongful accusation bolstered if the police find you with a gun where they said it was. Yes, that happens. Some jurisdictions allow “open carry.” I support the right to open carry, in the proper time and place, but I have found over the decades that there are relatively few ideal times or places where the practice won’t unnecessarily and predictably frighten someone the carrier had no reason to scare.
Well articulated point by Ayoob.... once again. The rest of his ten commandments are just as compelling if anyone hasn't read them.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”