Whataburger's Gun Policy (Ugh)..........

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 19

Re: Whataburger's Gun Policy (Ugh)..........

Post by Richbirdhunter »

G.A. Heath wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:I love the names for the OCT crowd, militants, not normal, and a few other endearing names. Is everybody ok with calling non-militants, Pelosi's? As long as it's with the same love and respect as the otherside has been using?
I love the names that the OCT crowd applies to gun owners who don't agree 100% with their position and methods: Butters, Anti-gun (I have been called this), Anti-Constitution[al] (I have been called this as well), Hater[s] (I have been called this also), Turncoats, and more than a few other endearing names. The funny thing is OCT along with other groups have done, and continue to do, more damage than the anti-gunners could by themselves. So exactly who do you want to call a Pelosi, other progun activists who are getting their legislation passed without having to try and claim credit for a bill they called on their membership to oppose?
Just because we don't agree on tactics doesn't mean that we are not on the same side, but I've been referred to as all kinds of things none of them kind. I was even told I haven't been long enough to have an opinion. When a man has been denied a God given right for his whole life, he gets excited when he sees the light at the end of the tunnel. He is overjoyed when he realizes that the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a train.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 32

Post by cyphertext »

Richbirdhunter wrote:I love the names for the OCT crowd, militants, not normal, and a few other endearing names. Is everybody ok with calling non-militants, Pelosi's? As long as it's with the same love and respect as the otherside has been using?
Obviously you have never tried to have a discussion with OCT folks where you both agree on the message, but not the delivery. Simply because I thought there were other ways to promote open carry that may be more productive than walking into private businesses with an AR slung at the low ready, I was called names and ridiculed... I was called a "butter" and had my service and loyalty to my country questioned. So "militant" is fairly respectful based on my interaction with the open carry crowd. Militant is defined as "combative and aggressive in support of a political or social cause, and typically favoring extreme, violent, or confrontational methods." Is OCT not aggressive? Do they not use extreme, confrontational methods"?

See, you just fell into their same trap... if someone does not agree with you 100%, they must be the enemy... Suggesting that those of us who think Whataburger has a right to deny OC in their establishment must somehow have the same views on gun control as Nancy Pelosi... basically you are just lashing out, trying to cause confrontation... so yes, I would label you as being "militant".

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 6

Post by G.A. Heath »

Richbirdhunter wrote:
G.A. Heath wrote:
I love the names that the OCT crowd applies to gun owners who don't agree 100% with their position and methods: Butters, Anti-gun (I have been called this), Anti-Constitution[al] (I have been called this as well), Hater[s] (I have been called this also), Turncoats, and more than a few other endearing names. The funny thing is OCT along with other groups have done, and continue to do, more damage than the anti-gunners could by themselves. So exactly who do you want to call a Pelosi, other progun activists who are getting their legislation passed without having to try and claim credit for a bill they called on their membership to oppose?
Just because we don't agree on tactics doesn't mean that we are not on the same side, but I've been referred to as all kinds of things none of them kind. I was even told I haven't been long enough to have an opinion. When a man has been denied a God given right for his whole life, he gets excited when he sees the light at the end of the tunnel. He is overjoyed when he realizes that the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a train.
you say you have been told "Haven't been long enough to have an opinion..." Who said told you this and been what long enough? Everyone has a right to an opinion, they may not have enough experience to form an a valid one by the reckoning of other folks but they can have that opinion. Again who do you want to call a "Pelosi?"
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

G.A. Heath wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
G.A. Heath wrote:
you say you have been told "Haven't been long enough to have an opinion..." Who said told you this and been what long enough? Everyone has a right to an opinion, they may not have enough experience to form an a valid one by the reckoning of other folks but they can have that opinion. Again who do you want to call a "Pelosi?"

My hope is not to call anyone a Pelosi, but when my opinion is minimized by labeling me militant or some other endearing term it's frustrating to say the least.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 33

Post by mojo84 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Why don't you give it a try and find out?

Chas.
And not from behind a keyboard and monitor.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 6

Post by G.A. Heath »

Richbirdhunter wrote:
G.A. Heath wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
G.A. Heath wrote:

My hope is not to call anyone a Pelosi, but when my opinion is minimized by labeling me militant or some other endearing term it's frustrating to say the least.
I know where you are coming from in a way. I publicly insisted CJ prove he had a license to carry when he Open Carried in Oklahoma or that he step down from OCT. His response, as well as others in OCT, was to call me anti-gun and to insist that he had a license. I then pointed out that CJ himself said he didn't have a license on Guns over Texas radio when he called in while Charles Cotton was a guest. The response I got to that was that I was anti-constitutional, and that the gun may or may not have been real. I then insisted CJ answer the first question which and not play word games like Bill Clinton, I was then called anti-constitution and a hater. The incident in Oklahoma and CJ's refusal to clarify if he was legally carrying DID come back to bite us during the legislative session. The Dutton/Huffines Amendment was killed in no small part because of this, and the attempts to castrate reciprocity came about in part because CJ claimed that he may have a non-resident license. Now that I have demonstrated that I feel your pain (yet another Clinton reference), how about answering the questions about who told you that you can't have an opinion, and haven't been what long enough?
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Richbirdhunter wrote:
G.A. Heath wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
G.A. Heath wrote:

Are you an OCT member who has demonstrated with long guns? Are you an OCT member who has claimed that anyone and everyone who does not agree 100% with everything that CJ Grisham desires is an anti-gunner?

If the answer to these questions is "no," then I seriously doubt you've been called a militant here on the Forum. If your conduct yourself as does Grisham, then you certainly fit that description, but that's not the same as calling you a militant. If a post denounces a thief and you feel targeted by that post, then you have labeled yourself.

BTW, call anyone a Pelosi here and you'll be gone in a heartbeat. We've had enough of OCT types calling anyone and everyone who calls their tactics into question anti-gun and other things and we stopped tolerating that crap long ago.

Chas.

canvasbck
Posts in topic: 7

Post by canvasbck »

mojo84 wrote:
canvasbck wrote:
Taypo wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
oljames3 wrote:
mojo84 wrote:Why not just lay low until after January 1? The business owners will see it isn't a big deal and the OC proponents will see not that many companies will make a big deal of it.

If OC proponents keep pushing for a decision before 1/1, the results will not be in our favor. Once 1/1 comes and there is an issue, we can deal with it then in an appropriate manner.
Please clarify what you mean by "OC proponent".

Thanks.
People that support open carry.
That is most of the people on this board. Are you meaning the people pushing "Constitutional Carry" and won't settle for anything else?
I'd be real careful with the term "most" in this context. Most of us are 2a supporters and of the belief that any progress is a win for gun rights, but there may not be as many people jumping on the OC bandwagon as you think. Honestly, the more certain people rail on it, the more people are realizing they don't want to be in that particular demographic. Keep forcing our favorite restaurants and businesses to make decisions about guns and there will be even less than there are now.
And there in lies the rub. If "resonable and responsible" gun owners shun OC because they are afraid of being associated with the fringe fanatics, then the only time the public will see someone carrying a firearm, it will by by the fringe fanatics. This would lead to the fringe representing/defining the entire community.
Actually,the rub comes from people trying to force a business to accept open carry in their place of business. No one is advocating normal people going about their normal activities shunning open carry. If you read through the thread, you'll see there are a few that are wanting to punish WB into allowing open carry by threatening boycott or by uncovering their gun for spite after they've been served.

I think what is actually being shunned are inappropriate tactics and actions that do more damage than good.
I was referencing the portion in red.

I have read the thread and I have been one of the ones defending WB. They were forced into this stance by (pardon the term) militants insisting that they publicly state their stance on OC.

I intend to OC occasionally, not for political reasons but for convenience. I refuse to be forced into the closet (or under the shirt if you will) by the fringe element.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 53

Post by Taypo »

Good! I'm glad that there are still moderates out there that will take advantage of the right. Perhaps once the dust settles after 1/1, I'll reconsider myself.

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Richbirdhunter wrote: My hope is not to call anyone a Pelosi, but when my opinion is minimized by labeling me militant or some other endearing term it's frustrating to say the least.
Are people really minimizing your opinion, or are you frustrated because the majority on this board simply do not agree with it, and tend to believe the property owner is within their right to not allow OC?

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

cyphertext wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote: My hope is not to call anyone a Pelosi, but when my opinion is minimized by labeling me militant or some other endearing term it's frustrating to say the least.
Are people really minimizing your opinion, or are you frustrated because the majority on this board simply do not agree with it, and tend to believe the property owner is within their right to not allow OC?

I'm from California, I haven't ever had the majority opinion on any gun issue. Any business can operate how ever they see fit, however I don't have to like it.
I just never thought I'd be to conservative for a Texas gun website

winters
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by winters »

Seems like we have just worn this topic out. Even I think its time for it to be closed.

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Richbirdhunter wrote:
cyphertext wrote:

I'm from California, I haven't ever had the majority opinion on any gun issue. Any business can operate how ever they see fit, however I don't have to like it.
I would argue that the belief in property rights is also a conservative value. I would say that allowing the market to decide if the business made a sound decision is also extremely conservative... and in this case, it appears that the market is fine with WB's decision. Again, with only 3% of Texans being CHL holders, to have WB state that they are still going to allow CHL is still a win. They very easily could have "asked" us to leave all guns at home, or even go as far as legally posting.

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

cyphertext wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
cyphertext wrote:

I would argue that the belief in property rights is also a conservative value. I would say that allowing the market to decide if the business made a sound decision is also extremely conservative... and in this case, it appears that the market is fine with WB's decision. Again, with only 3% of Texans being CHL holders, to have WB state that they are still going to allow CHL is still a win. They very easily could have "asked" us to leave all guns at home, or even go as far as legally posting.
Those are valid points, and I appreciate them. So let me ask this, do we know of any hamburger joints that will allow OC? That way we all win!

jmra
Posts in topic: 40

Post by jmra »

Richbirdhunter wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
cyphertext wrote:

Those are valid points, and I appreciate them. So let me ask this, do we know of any hamburger joints that will allow OC? That way we all win!
How I wear my firearm will not be the determining factor in where I buy a burger. The burger itself will be the determining factor. I don't go out to eat to make a political statement, I go out to eat because I enjoy the food.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”