Whataburger's Gun Policy (Ugh)..........

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

mojo84
Posts in topic: 33

Re: Whataburger's Gun Policy (Ugh)..........

Post by mojo84 »

MeMelYup wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
oljames3 wrote:
mojo84 wrote:Why not just lay low until after January 1? The business owners will see it isn't a big deal and the OC proponents will see not that many companies will make a big deal of it.

If OC proponents keep pushing for a decision before 1/1, the results will not be in our favor. Once 1/1 comes and there is an issue, we can deal with it then in an appropriate manner.
Please clarify what you mean by "OC proponent".

Thanks.
People that support open carry.
That is most of the people on this board. Are you meaning the people pushing "Constitutional Carry" and won't settle for anything else?
It's clear what I meant.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 53

Post by Taypo »

MeMelYup wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
oljames3 wrote:
mojo84 wrote:Why not just lay low until after January 1? The business owners will see it isn't a big deal and the OC proponents will see not that many companies will make a big deal of it.

If OC proponents keep pushing for a decision before 1/1, the results will not be in our favor. Once 1/1 comes and there is an issue, we can deal with it then in an appropriate manner.

Thanks.
That is most of the people on this board. Are you meaning the people pushing "Constitutional Carry" and won't settle for anything else?
I'd be real careful with the term "most" in this context. Most of us are 2a supporters and of the belief that any progress is a win for gun rights, but there may not be as many people jumping on the OC bandwagon as you think. Honestly, the more certain people rail on it, the more people are realizing they don't want to be in that particular demographic. Keep forcing our favorite restaurants and businesses to make decisions about guns and there will be even less than there are now.

jmra
Posts in topic: 40

Post by jmra »

Taypo wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
oljames3 wrote:

Thanks.
I'd be real careful with the term "most" in this context. Most of us are 2a supporters and of the belief that any progress is a win for gun rights, but there may not be as many people jumping on the OC bandwagon as you think. Honestly, the more certain people rail on it, the more people are realizing they don't want to be in that particular demographic. Keep forcing our favorite restaurants and businesses to make decisions about guns and there will be even less than there are now.
I support OC - I don't support people who demonize private businesses who determine that its in their company's best interest that guns are carried concealed. The idea that a company is anti 2A because an individual can't carry in the exact manner they wish is asinine.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

jmra wrote:
Taypo wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
oljames3 wrote:

Thanks.
I support OC - I don't support people who demonize private businesses who determine that its in their company's best interest that guns are carried concealed. The idea that a company is anti 2A because an individual can't carry in the exact manner they wish is asinine.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Therein lies the rub. Take a gander at the Whataburger Facebook page and the stuff getting spewed in here. Every time one of the militants opens his/her mouth to talk about how badly they're being treated and what a horrible business WB is, those of us trying to ride the fence are being pushed further over it.

A month ago i was excited about the prospect of OC, two weeks ago I was on the fence and today I'm completely over it. I'm embarrassed to be associated with people like that and will probably never OC for fear of being mistaken for one of them.

Am I taking it to an extreme? Maybe, but being a gun owner an a CHL holder doesn't mean that I have to tolerate that nonsense.

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 10

Post by EEllis »

AggieDad15 wrote:
EEllis wrote:
AggieDad15 wrote:Lots of beating dead horses here on all sides. I think everyone who disagrees will always disagree.

I think what POed most people the most about Whataburger's decision, was their decision to politicize it - to pander to the liberal Mommies and leftists with this announcement - but yet trying to play both sides of the fence by saying CHL was OK.

I don't know about you guys and gals, but I don't much like politics, especially when it comes from a two-faced corporation who is trying to have it both ways or entertainers like the Dixie Chicks who bash our president in Europe.

This letter, as posted by ziravan on FreeRepublic, pretty much sums up my feelings on this.

My letter to Whataburger:

I normally eat at least one meal a week at one of your locations. I will not patronize Whataburger again until you officially cease your attack on gun rights in Texas.

You made a political statement with your announcement on open carry. I will make mine and exclude you from the list of businesses where I spend my hard earned money.

In some ways, I might even agree with you. I conceal carry and would not think to open carry, even after it becomes legal. I can see from where your concerns come. Nevertheless, timing is everything and by being first, loudest, and uniquely Texan, you are trading off your business model to send a political message.

Whether I agree that open carry is right for me or your business, I support it politically. The timing and nature of your statement on open carry goes beyond your private property rights; you’ve sent a political message and one where we disagree.

So, because you unilaterally decided to place politics between us, I have no choice but to respond in kind. Until you remove the politics you placed between us, we are opponents and I can no longer financially support a business who doesn’t see the common sense in keeping politics from ruining our relationship.

80 posted on 7/13/2015, 2:39:21 PM by ziravan (Choose Sides.)

As for me, their decision to announce this to the world in a patronizing move to the liberals, instead of just quietly posting a 3007 on January 1, will lose my life-long business forever. If they had been quiet and just posted a 3007 on Jan 1, but no 3006, I probably wouldn't have objected much. As for you, you can do whatever you please.
Wow, just Wow. Someone leaked a document then they were badgered from all sides and reluctantly they reaffirmed their position which most likely was more about CJ than MDA and you blame them? And by the way people can make decisions you don't like for reasons that have nothing to do with them being cowards or folding under pressure. That comments seems to just be you lashing out having no real evidence that I've seen. Honestly it was seemingly just you being unpleasant to someone who you disagree with. It's unseemly.
What do you care? Lots of other business did NOT cave in such as KROGER. What ax have you got to grind? s I said if you bothered to READ my post: YOU can do as you please. But stop whining about what **I** do. You're acting like your a WB employee or something LOL. To each his own.
Whining? There was nothing whining at all in what I said. I am a bit incredulous, not in the fact that you are up in arms about Whataburgers stance, but because of how badly you twist facts to support your narrative. So be I'm done before I say something I shouldn't.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Stop the back and forth banter on the Forum. Take to it emails and you two can do whatever you like.

Chas.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Oldgringo »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Stop the back and forth banter on the Forum. Take to it emails and you two can do whatever you like.

Chas.
:iagree:, if a Whataburger burger is good enough to generate 21 pages of er, uh....discussion, I must try one.

jmra
Posts in topic: 40

Post by jmra »

Oldgringo wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Stop the back and forth banter on the Forum. Take to it emails and you two can do whatever you like.

Chas.
:iagree:, if a Whataburger burger is good enough to generate 21 pages of er, uh....discussion, I must try one.
They're pretty darn good.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

jmra wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:

Chas.
They're pretty darn good.
Yep. Had no idea how good they really were until recently. I'm a hardcore In N Out burger kinda guy, but if I'm looking for something other than a cheeseburger, its my go to.

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

I pocket carry. I can't take the heat to belt carry with an extra cover layer. I might open carry sometimes or might not. I'd like that option any time anywhere. I wish there was some differentiation between long guns and handguns. I can see not wanting a dozen assorted long guns in one's business but handguns would likely go unnoticed by many. I really despise the nut gang for all their foolishness in the media that did nothing but damage.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

Taypo wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
oljames3 wrote:

Thanks.
And there in lies the rub. If "resonable and responsible" gun owners shun OC because they are afraid of being associated with the fringe fanatics, then the only time the public will see someone carrying a firearm, it will by by the fringe fanatics. This would lead to the fringe representing/defining the entire community.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

mojo84
Posts in topic: 33

Post by mojo84 »

canvasbck wrote:
Taypo wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
oljames3 wrote:

Thanks.
And there in lies the rub. If "resonable and responsible" gun owners shun OC because they are afraid of being associated with the fringe fanatics, then the only time the public will see someone carrying a firearm, it will by by the fringe fanatics. This would lead to the fringe representing/defining the entire community.
Actually,the rub comes from people trying to force a business to accept open carry in their place of business. No one is advocating normal people going about their normal activities shunning open carry. If you read through the thread, you'll see there are a few that are wanting to punish WB into allowing open carry by threatening boycott or by uncovering their gun for spite after they've been served.

I think what is actually being shunned are inappropriate tactics and actions that do more damage than good.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 19

Post by Richbirdhunter »

I love the names for the OCT crowd, militants, not normal, and a few other endearing names. Is everybody ok with calling non-militants, Pelosi's? As long as it's with the same love and respect as the otherside has been using?
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 6

Post by G.A. Heath »

Richbirdhunter wrote:I love the names for the OCT crowd, militants, not normal, and a few other endearing names. Is everybody ok with calling non-militants, Pelosi's? As long as it's with the same love and respect as the otherside has been using?
I love the names that the OCT crowd applies to gun owners who don't agree 100% with their position and methods: Butters, Anti-gun (I have been called this), Anti-Constitution[al] (I have been called this as well), Hater[s] (I have been called this also), Turncoats, and more than a few other endearing names. The funny thing is OCT along with other groups have done, and continue to do, more damage than the anti-gunners could by themselves. So exactly who do you want to call a Pelosi, other progun activists who are getting their legislation passed without having to try and claim credit for a bill they called on their membership to oppose?
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Richbirdhunter wrote:I love the names for the OCT crowd, militants, not normal, and a few other endearing names. Is everybody ok with calling non-militants, Pelosi's? As long as it's with the same love and respect as the otherside has been using?
Why don't you give it a try and find out?

Chas.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”