Whataburger's Gun Policy (Ugh)..........

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 53

Re: Whataburger's Gun Policy (Ugh)..........

Post by Taypo »

Abraham wrote:We have a handful of militants OC types here, most of them new to the board stirring the OC pot.

They unfailingly reject the very reasonable, thoughtful responses in regard to OC.

They're like constantly complaining, colicky babies

From this point on, I plan to ignore their militant OC posts and hope others do to.

Perhaps, eventually they'll catch on that this forum, by and large rejects their militancy.

Perhaps, (I've never searched) there other forums that welcome their views.
:iagree:

AggieDad15
Posts in topic: 5

Post by AggieDad15 »

cyphertext wrote:
canvasbck wrote:
AggieDad15 wrote:Lots of beating dead horses here on all sides. I think everyone who disagrees will always disagree.

I think what POed most people the most about Whataburger's decision, was their decision to politicize it - to pander to the liberal Mommies and leftists with this announcement - but yet trying to play both sides of the fence by saying CHL was OK.

I don't know about you guys and gals, but I don't much like politics, especially when it comes from a two-faced corporation who is trying to have it both ways or entertainers like the Dixie Chicks who bash our president in Europe.

This letter, as posted by ziravan on FreeRepublic, pretty much sums up my feelings on this.

My letter to Whataburger:

I normally eat at least one meal a week at one of your locations. I will not patronize Whataburger again until you officially cease your attack on gun rights in Texas.

You made a political statement with your announcement on open carry. I will make mine and exclude you from the list of businesses where I spend my hard earned money.

In some ways, I might even agree with you. I conceal carry and would not think to open carry, even after it becomes legal. I can see from where your concerns come. Nevertheless, timing is everything and by being first, loudest, and uniquely Texan, you are trading off your business model to send a political message.

Whether I agree that open carry is right for me or your business, I support it politically. The timing and nature of your statement on open carry goes beyond your private property rights; you’ve sent a political message and one where we disagree.

So, because you unilaterally decided to place politics between us, I have no choice but to respond in kind. Until you remove the politics you placed between us, we are opponents and I can no longer financially support a business who doesn’t see the common sense in keeping politics from ruining our relationship.

80 posted on 7/13/2015, 2:39:21 PM by ziravan (Choose Sides.)

As for me, their decision to announce this to the world in a patronizing move to the liberals, instead of just quietly posting a 3007 on January 1, will lose my life-long business forever. If they had been quiet and just posted a 3007 on Jan 1, but no 3006, I probably wouldn't have objected much. As for you, you can do whatever you please.
This was NOT a case of WB politicizing and choosing to take a public stand. This was a continuous campaign by some of the OCT type folks to pressure WB into making a public statement. The WB main office was getting daily phone calls demanding that they publicly state their policy after an internal WB document was leaked. The tactics employed following this leaked memo were identical to the methods employed by MDA. These tactics have even been denounced by Terry Holcolmb, someone who has definitely been in the OCT camp.
Agree... the CEO didn't wake up one morning and decide to take a public stand on OC. He was forced to make a statement by one of two groups, either anti gun groups or open carry groups. Whataburger has locations in other states that have OC, such as OK, and they never felt the need to make a statement like this.
You're not going to get me to change my mind. The same pressure was applied to KROGER and they will abide by state law> WB are cowards. My post stands. And if you bothered to read it, I am not militant OC. IN fact, I will probably never do it. You guys do what you want, but I won't be giving them my money so no use arguing the point with me or belittling me with snarky lines like "good shorter lines." Have it it.

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

AggieDad15 wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
canvasbck wrote:
AggieDad15 wrote:Lots of beating dead horses here on all sides. I think everyone who disagrees will always disagree.

I think what POed most people the most about Whataburger's decision, was their decision to politicize it - to pander to the liberal Mommies and leftists with this announcement - but yet trying to play both sides of the fence by saying CHL was OK.

I don't know about you guys and gals, but I don't much like politics, especially when it comes from a two-faced corporation who is trying to have it both ways or entertainers like the Dixie Chicks who bash our president in Europe.

This letter, as posted by ziravan on FreeRepublic, pretty much sums up my feelings on this.

I normally eat at least one meal a week at one of your locations. I will not patronize Whataburger again until you officially cease your attack on gun rights in Texas.

You made a political statement with your announcement on open carry. I will make mine and exclude you from the list of businesses where I spend my hard earned money.

In some ways, I might even agree with you. I conceal carry and would not think to open carry, even after it becomes legal. I can see from where your concerns come. Nevertheless, timing is everything and by being first, loudest, and uniquely Texan, you are trading off your business model to send a political message.

Whether I agree that open carry is right for me or your business, I support it politically. The timing and nature of your statement on open carry goes beyond your private property rights; you’ve sent a political message and one where we disagree.

So, because you unilaterally decided to place politics between us, I have no choice but to respond in kind. Until you remove the politics you placed between us, we are opponents and I can no longer financially support a business who doesn’t see the common sense in keeping politics from ruining our relationship.

As for me, their decision to announce this to the world in a patronizing move to the liberals, instead of just quietly posting a 3007 on January 1, will lose my life-long business forever. If they had been quiet and just posted a 3007 on Jan 1, but no 3006, I probably wouldn't have objected much. As for you, you can do whatever you please.
This was NOT a case of WB politicizing and choosing to take a public stand. This was a continuous campaign by some of the OCT type folks to pressure WB into making a public statement. The WB main office was getting daily phone calls demanding that they publicly state their policy after an internal WB document was leaked. The tactics employed following this leaked memo were identical to the methods employed by MDA. These tactics have even been denounced by Terry Holcolmb, someone who has definitely been in the OCT camp.
Agree... the CEO didn't wake up one morning and decide to take a public stand on OC. He was forced to make a statement by one of two groups, either anti gun groups or open carry groups. Whataburger has locations in other states that have OC, such as OK, and they never felt the need to make a statement like this.
You're not going to get me to change my mind. The same pressure was applied to KROGER and they will abide by state law> WB are cowards. My post stands. And if you bothered to read it, I am not militant OC. IN fact, I will probably never do it. You guys do what you want, but I won't be giving them my money so no use arguing the point with me or belittling me with snarky lines like "good shorter lines." Have it it.
Good, shorter lines for me ;-)

If you want to boycott a business for banning something that you're not doing, then more power to you. Way to stick to your principals. As more and more businesses jump on the 30.07 train in the next 5+ months, I sincerely hope you're able to continue your stand.

I'm going to stick to my stand and continue to eat at Whataburger with a concealed weapon, the same way I'm doing it now.

dawgfishboy

Post by dawgfishboy »

AggieDad15 wrote:If they had been quiet and just posted a 3007 on Jan 1, but no 3006, I probably wouldn't have objected much.
But until they post it or give proper notice, I will not avoid WB when OC'ing (which will probably be rare).

Like others, I'm guessing it won't be much of an issue anyways.

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

dawgfishboy wrote:
AggieDad15 wrote:If they had been quiet and just posted a 3007 on Jan 1, but no 3006, I probably wouldn't have objected much.
But until they post it or give proper notice, I will not avoid WB when OC'ing (which will probably be rare).

So you know they don't allow it, but you'll do it anyway? They've told you they don't want your money, why do you people insist on forcing the issue?

dawgfishboy

Post by dawgfishboy »

Taypo wrote:
dawgfishboy wrote:

So you know they don't allow it, but you'll do it anyway? They've told you they don't want your money, why do you people insist on forcing the issue?
You people?

"They've" not told me anything. I'll let the local franchises that I patronize make that decision.

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

dawgfishboy wrote:
Taypo wrote:
dawgfishboy wrote:

You people?

"They've" not told me anything. I'll let the local franchises that I patronize make that decision.
Yep. You people. As in you people who insist that no matter how many posts, how much chest beating and how much negative press, you're still gonna exercise that 2nd amendment right (the one that trumps property rights and gves you the right to force your will on a group of people don't want to look at your gun) come hell or high water.

The CEO of the company just told you not to carry openly, but you've decided that he doesn't speak for your store. You're the same type of person that's not going to let a store employee tell you to leave unless you hear it from a manager, and when the manager tells you you'll ask for an owner. You people are no different than petulant little children that run to Mommy when Daddy tells you that you can't have a cookie.

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Right2Carry »

I can just imagine what this topic would look like if Whataburger had chosen to allow open carry but posted a 30.06 sign? I can hear it now.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

Right2Carry wrote:I can just imagine what this topic would look like if Whataburger had chosen to allow open carry but posted a 30.06 sign? I can hear it now.
I suspect you'd hear a lot of people griping and taking their business elsewhere, just like every other 30.06 posted location. Unlike the militants, some of us recognize where we're not welcome and move on.

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 32

Post by cyphertext »

Right2Carry wrote:I can just imagine what this topic would look like if Whataburger had chosen to allow open carry but posted a 30.06 sign? I can hear it now.
I'd be better dressed when I went to Whataburger... I would at least have my shirt tucked in! :lol:

dawgfishboy

Post by dawgfishboy »

Taypo wrote:
dawgfishboy wrote:
Taypo wrote:
dawgfishboy wrote:

You people?

Yep. You people. As in you people who insist that no matter how many posts, how much chest beating and how much negative press, you're still gonna exercise that 2nd amendment right (the one that trumps property rights and gives you the right to force your will on a group of people don't want to look at your gun) come heck or high water.

The CEO of the company just told you not to carry openly, but you've decided that he doesn't speak for your store. You're the same type of person that's not going to let a store employee tell you to leave unless you hear it from a manager, and when the manager tells you you'll ask for an owner. You people are no different than petulant little children that run to Mommy when Daddy tells you that you can't have a cookie.
You couldn't be more wrong...Daddy always let me have the cookie.
Have a great day.

jmra
Posts in topic: 40

Post by jmra »

What difference would it make as long as you were still able to defend yourself and your family?
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 32

Post by cyphertext »

AggieDad15 wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
canvasbck wrote:

Whataburger is abiding by state law. State law gives them the option of posting, or giving verbal notice if they do not want firearms. Every business is free to make their decision... Kroger says you can open carry, Whataburger says you can conceal carry, Sprouts says no guns and is properly posted... guess which of the 3 I don't go to.

With your logic, the whole state is infringing on your right... when are you leaving? :txflag:

dawgfishboy

Post by dawgfishboy »

cyphertext wrote:With your logic, the whole state is infringing on your right... when are you leaving? :txflag:
this is just sad.

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Right2Carry »

jmra wrote:
What difference would it make as long as you were still able to defend yourself and your family?
I am sure we would be having the same discussion just in reverse. There would be unhappy campers.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”