Whataburger's Gun Policy (Ugh)..........

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

oljames3
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Whataburger's Gun Policy (Ugh)..........

Post by oljames3 »

Cjwglock19 wrote:Guess I'm in the minority... They are asking you not to carry openly. They are not asking you not to carry. The are respecting your right, just asking you to respect their wish in the process.
:iagree:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 19

Post by Richbirdhunter »

oljames3 wrote:
Cjwglock19 wrote:Guess I'm in the minority... They are asking you not to carry openly. They are not asking you not to carry. The are respecting your right, just asking you to respect their wish in the process.

Is there any other laws that we can think of that can be denied ? It seems that 2A rights are only a right as long as all parties agree. If Whata Burger denied service to the gays, the whole world would come crashing to an crashing to an end. If Whata Burger said we will only serve the gays if they conceal thier homosexuality could you imagine the outcry ? Is it still Whata burgers right? Would the gays be as understanding as we are about denied access ?

This is just an example of politically correct nonsense
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

suthdj
Posts in topic: 6

Post by suthdj »

Richbirdhunter wrote:
oljames3 wrote:

Is there any other laws that we can think of that can be denied ? It seems that 2A rights are only a right as long as all parties agree. If Whata Burger denied service to the gays, the whole world would come crashing to an crashing to an end. If Whata Burger said we will only serve the gays if they conceal thier homosexuality could you imagine the outcry ? Is it still Whata burgers right? Would the gays be as understanding as we are about denied access ?

Well doesn't that depend on weather being gay is a choice. Carrying openly is a choice.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

suthdj wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
oljames3 wrote:

Well doesn't that depend on weather being gay is a choice. Carrying openly is a choice.[/quote

A legal choice, without equal protection under the law
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Dragonfighter wrote:It's been a long time since I have read and posted on this board and it is late. I will try my best to sound coherent. First let me state that because of numerous food allergies my family cannot safely eat out anywhere. Before we knew this, Whataburger was a favorite. So I simply do not have a dog in this particular fight. But I do have an opinion.

First, open carry. I am ecstatic that Texas finally has open carry for several reasons. The biggie for me is taking away the power of an anti LEO trying to make a case if you accidently expose your weapon. Then there is the comfort while doing things like yard work. Sure that is in my own yard but who among us can do their entire yard without stepping into the street to turn the mower around or edge along the curb? And there is convenience. I OC'd in VA last Spring because I had forgotten to pack something and needed to run to a store AFTER I had downgraded my dress. It was nice not to have to dress around the weapon and just clip it on and go. FWIW, no one seemed to notice or care. And finally, OC will allow all of the picnic guns to be displayed without fear of an errant complaint ruining it. So yes, OC is a good thing but not one I will likely employ...at least very often. It just doesn't make good tactical sense to me as a general rule.

Second, private property rights. I am one who believes whole heartedly that there is a difference between private property with limited access and private property open to the general public AND lacking access control. If you allow anyone unfettered access to your property, the ONLY people that are being turned around are the law abiding, trained and licensed. Without access control measures your business is vulnerable to mayhem; the more so if you advertise that no sheep dogs are allowed. So then the argument is, "They don't want your money, go somewhere else." What if there is no where else? As I already said, my family is replete with numerous food allergies and sensitivities. There is simply no way for us to get what we need without having to cross the threshold of a prohibited place at some point. I guess I go unprotected. After all, "their property their rules." Does this have anything to do with Whataburger? Not directly, but since it has been brought up here...

So what about Whataburger? Whataburger has been pressured into declaring some kind policy regarding OC and have done so (Given the antics of OCT & Co. I am a bit surprised we even got OC in Texas). What Whataburger did, as has been hammered to death on this thread, is say they will not welcome open carry in their store. The procedures outlined in the "memo" are not confrontational and more importantly they are NOT forbidding carry. They just don't want us scaring the sheep. Out of sight, out of mind. I believe they have walked the tight rope of compromise very skillfully. I cannot eat there, but if I could I would.

As I have since I was first under arms, I will continue to carry openly where I can, conceal as the situation dictates, and strive to avoid situations in which I must disarm. In all of this, I will continue to diligently obey the law. I expect the same diligence of business owners.

I have carried openly in OK, CO, and NM without incident and hardly any notice. I'll be in Arizona next week, carrying openly. I am confident that most Texans will adjust, just as have citizens of the other open carry states. I am making decisions for myself and mine. I am not out to modify anyone else's behavior. If this describes an "OC activist", then I wear that sobriquet proudly. I think it describes a reasonable man. YMMV
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 32

Post by cyphertext »

Richbirdhunter wrote: Is there any other laws that we can think of that can be denied ? It seems that 2A rights are only a right as long as all parties agree. If Whata Burger denied service to the gays, the whole world would come crashing to an crashing to an end. If Whata Burger said we will only serve the gays if they conceal thier homosexuality could you imagine the outcry ? Is it still Whata burgers right? Would the gays be as understanding as we are about denied access ?

This is a poor analogy. A coworker of mine is gay, and unless you get to know him on a personal level outside of the office, you would not know it. When someone finds out and make a comment like "I never knew you were gay", his response is that he "doesn't come to work to be gay, he comes to work to work". Same thing would apply at Whataburger... He doesn't go there to be gay, he goes there to eat a hamburger.

So, in a sense, unless they are making out on a table, you probably won't know their sexuality. Sure, you may suspect, you might see something that makes you think they are, but you won't know 100%... kinda like printing when carrying concealed.

If you are going to Whataburger to eat a hamburger, conceal your firearm and enjoy. It is pretty simple. You already have the permit and have been carrying concealed for years... once you walk out, you can tuck your shirt back in and be on your way. You have not been denied access.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 33

Post by mojo84 »

cyphertext wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote: Is there any other laws that we can think of that can be denied ? It seems that 2A rights are only a right as long as all parties agree. If Whata Burger denied service to the gays, the whole world would come crashing to an crashing to an end. If Whata Burger said we will only serve the gays if they conceal thier homosexuality could you imagine the outcry ? Is it still Whata burgers right? Would the gays be as understanding as we are about denied access ?

This is a poor analogy. A coworker of mine is gay, and unless you get to know him on a personal level outside of the office, you would not know it. When someone finds out and make a comment like "I never knew you were gay", his response is that he "doesn't come to work to be gay, he comes to work to work". Same thing would apply at Whataburger... He doesn't go there to be gay, he goes there to eat a hamburger.

So, in a sense, unless they are making out on a table, you probably won't know their sexuality. Sure, you may suspect, you might see something that makes you think they are, but you won't know 100%... kinda like printing when carrying concealed.

If you are going to Whataburger to eat a hamburger, conceal your firearm and enjoy. It is pretty simple. You already have the permit and have been carrying concealed for years... once you walk out, you can tuck your shirt back in and be on your way. You have not been denied access.

Hit the nail squarely on the head.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

jmra
Posts in topic: 40

Post by jmra »

People are making a lot of noise about nothing. WB has not banned carrying a firearm in their stores! Stop trying to claim that they are denying you're right to OC because you do not now nor have you ever had the right to OC or CC on private property that you do not own or control.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

oljames3 wrote: :iagree:

As I have since I was first under arms, I will continue to carry openly where I can, conceal as the situation dictates, and strive to avoid situations in which I must disarm. In all of this, I will continue to diligently obey the law. I expect the same diligence of business owners.

I have carried openly in OK, CO, and NM without incident and hardly any notice. I'll be in Arizona next week, carrying openly. I am confident that most Texans will adjust, just as have citizens of the other open carry states. I am making decisions for myself and mine. I am not out to modify anyone else's behavior. If this describes an "OC activist", then I wear that sobriquet proudly. I think it describes a reasonable man. YMMV
You really can't compare TX to NM, AZ, or even OK... AZ and NM have had open carry for a long time, OK is much more recent, but none of these states had a movement like OCT running around with long guns stirring folks up. And even in NM when I lived there 15 years ago, OC in the urban areas was not the social norm and you would be asked to leave businesses if you were carrying openly.

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

cyphertext wrote:

You and your gay friend have missed my point. I'm looking for equal protection under the law. In the end I've never been inside a Whata Burger and I don't plan on going inside, I use the drive thru like all good Americans.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

We have a handful of militants OC types here, most of them new to the board stirring the OC pot.

They unfailingly reject the very reasonable, thoughtful responses in regard to OC.

They're like constantly complaining, colicky babies

From this point on, I plan to ignore their militant OC posts and hope others do to.

Perhaps, eventually they'll catch on that this forum, by and large rejects their militancy.

Perhaps, (I've never searched) there other forums that welcome their views.

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Richbirdhunter wrote:
cyphertext wrote:

You and your gay friend have missed my point. I'm looking for equal protection under the law. In the end I've never been inside a Whata Burger and I don't plan on going inside, I use the drive thru like all good Americans.
You have equal protection under the law. Whataburger, the property owner, is not allowing OC on their property by anyone. If they were allowing whites but no other races to OC, you would have an argument. You could always go into business for yourself and decide to allow OC or not. Sounds like there is a market for a hamburger joint that welcomes open carriers.

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

Abraham wrote:We have a handful of militants OC types here, most of them new to the board stirring the OC pot.

They unfailingly reject the very reasonable, thoughtful responses in regard to OC.

From this point on, I plan to ignore their militant OC posts and hope others do to.

Perhaps, eventually they'll catch on that this forum, by and large rejects their militancy.

I'm sorry, I'll tow the company line. OC is bad and if you have an opinion different then that you are militant and that is bad.

jmra

Post by jmra »

Abraham wrote:We have a handful of militants OC types here, most of them new to the board stirring the OC pot.

John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

jmra

Post by jmra »

Richbirdhunter wrote:
cyphertext wrote:

So now people who go inside instead of using the drive thru are not "good Americans"?
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”