Whataburger's Gun Policy (Ugh)..........

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jmra
Posts in topic: 40

Re: Whataburger's Gun Policy (Ugh)..........

Post by jmra »

F350-6 wrote:So walking into a place that is not posted and then leaving when being asked to leave and letting them know you won't spend money there is a bad tactic? Should we be obeying the gunbuster signs too?

I remember when 30.06 was new and all the places that posted signs for fear of all the massacres. Many of those signs came down when management was informed about lost customers and the big shoot outs never came to be.

I've never slung a rifle and walked into any business. Don't agree with what OCT did. But if, (big if) the story is true, Whataburger needs to pick a side. Either post the proper sign or keep their mouth shut. The law is clearly spelled out for them.
If you know that a business has published a statement that they do not want OC and you go there and OC for the purpose of being told to leave, yes that is a bad tactic.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

John Galt
Posts in topic: 6

Post by John Galt »

Javier730 wrote:I don't see a problem. Telling people they can not walk in with AR15s infringes on peoples second amendment rights about as much as telling people they can not shout profanities or racial slurs infringes on the first amendment. It doesn't. Their property, their rules.

Unless a 30.06 sign is posted, I will not be affected. No one other than my wife and son will know that I am carrying because my firearm will remain concealed unless of course someone puts my family and/or I in danger of bodily harm.
:iagree:

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Post by anygunanywhere »

The Whataburger in La Grange is the sorriest excuse for a Whataburger I have ever seen. They have yet to get an order of mine correct. Sometimes they are the only option when I am jonesin for a burger and I always drive through. I will never go inside.

Old Gringo, I will let you know about the La Grange DQ. I loves me a blizzard now and then.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Oldgringo »

jmra wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
jmra wrote:
F350-6 wrote:If this turns out to be true, then I will open carry into Whataburger just to be told to leave so I can remind them of the money they are losing. I don't plan on ever open carrying anywhere else. Concealed is what I will continue to do, but if they don't want open carry, post the required sign on the door as the law says. Otherwise expect the protests and headaches.

It's pretty simple. Just choose a side. Krogers did and it didn't seem to hurt them. Sad to think a Texas icon burger joint would possibly do this.
Sounds like an OCT tactic.

And will cause more harm than good.
:iagree: 100%
Agreed! What was it Dale Carneghie taught, "You attract more bees with honey than with vinegar"?

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Jim Beaux »

jmra wrote:
F350-6 wrote:So walking into a place that is not posted and then leaving when being asked to leave and letting them know you won't spend money there is a bad tactic? Should we be obeying the gunbuster signs too?

I remember when 30.06 was new and all the places that posted signs for fear of all the massacres. Many of those signs came down when management was informed about lost customers and the big shoot outs never came to be.

I've never slung a rifle and walked into any business. Don't agree with what OCT did. But if, (big if) the story is true, Whataburger needs to pick a side. Either post the proper sign or keep their mouth shut. The law is clearly spelled out for them.
If you know that a business has published a statement that they do not want OC and you go there and OC for the purpose of being told to leave, yes that is a bad tactic.
Could be a good tactic.

I see no advantage to OC and dont plan to do so - but this could be a good opportunity to change minds about gun owners.

If it were me being told to leave I would be courteous & make it obvious that I was leaving - but would ask the employee if he happened to be the manager (probably would be). I would then introduce myself, shake hands & explain I was a long time customer and was disappointed that the company didnt want my business. I would wish him/her a good day & leave. (I wouldnt be surprised if I was offered a gift card or something, that I would politely decline)

After bouncing several courteous and well mannered customers I think there would be a reconsideration - especially after the furor dies down.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

o b juan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by o b juan »

F350-6
you have just shown up and have 15 posts ..

You might want to discuss this with a friend who is not involved with OCT

conflict and dispute resolution does not call for escalation :roll: :roll:
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

jmra

Post by jmra »

Jim Beaux wrote:
jmra wrote:

Could be a good tactic.

I see no advantage to OC and dont plan to do so - but this could be a good opportunity to change minds about gun owners.

If it were me being told to leave I would be courteous & make it obvious that I was leaving - but would ask the employee if he happened to be the manager (probably would be). I would then introduce myself, shake hands & explain I was a long time customer and was disappointed that the company didnt want my business. I would wish him/her a good day & leave. (I wouldnt be surprised if I was offered a gift card or something, that I would politely decline)

After bouncing several courteous and well mannered customers I think there would be a reconsideration - especially after the furor dies down.
I don't believe someone who entered an establishment for the sole purpose of being kicked out of it understands the concept of courteous and well mannered.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 3

Post by E.Marquez »

Jim Beaux wrote: I dont appreciate your condescension, & your assumptions are baseless in regards to what I understand.
To each his own, I have an opinion about your position, I supported mine and I stand by it.

You can disagree with mine, as i do with yours.
I do so without malice or personal attack to the person, but disagreement with the opinion.
My opinion stated as my own is just that, a personal opinion. I neither intended, nor imply, nor desire anything negative to you as a person.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 4

Post by SewTexas »

mojo84 wrote:
jmra wrote:
F350-6 wrote:If this turns out to be true, then I will open carry into Whataburger just to be told to leave so I can remind them of the money they are losing. I don't plan on ever open carrying anywhere else. Concealed is what I will continue to do, but if they don't want open carry, post the required sign on the door as the law says. Otherwise expect the protests and headaches.

It's pretty simple. Just choose a side. Krogers did and it didn't seem to hurt them. Sad to think a Texas icon burger joint would possibly do this.
Sounds like an OCT tactic.

And will cause more harm than good.

why, on God's great green Earth would you put a teenager, most likely, in that kind of a situation?! :banghead:

They haven't posted a sign, same as Target, $B's and several others, carry concealed. Just wait and see what happens when the OC law goes into affect.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 53

Post by Taypo »

So you're going to OC into a location that you KNOW doesn't allow it with the expectation of forcing an employee to 86 you...and you think this is somehow going to convince them that they're making a bad decision? That's pretty irresponsible and reeks of YouTube theatrics. Way to throw the other 99% of us that care abou our image under the OCT bus.

As far as a sign being "required", you're wrong there too but that's another argument.

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Jim Beaux »

jmra wrote:
Jim Beaux wrote:
jmra wrote:

Could be a good tactic.

I don't believe someone who entered an establishment for the sole purpose of being kicked out of it understands the concept of courteous and well mannered.
Worked for MLK!

:lol: I get a rash when some here just has to have the last word, but I just couldnt resist this. I think both sides have a legitimate point. Personally I dont like hassling those who are trying to make a living & wouldnt be comfortable going to a place where Im not wanted. :cheers2:
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I have zero problem with a place not wanting people walking around with firearms in a suburban area. I will continue to go to Whataburger as long as they do not post a 30.06 then the drive threw will be fine. Their properties their rules.

I will not have OC at my place either.

jmra

Post by jmra »

Jim Beaux wrote:
jmra wrote:
Jim Beaux wrote:
jmra wrote:

Could be a good tactic.

Worked for MLK!

:lol: I get a rash when some here just has to have the last word, but I just couldnt resist this. I think both sides have a legitimate point. Personally I dont like hassling those who are trying to make a living & wouldnt be comfortable going to a place where Im not wanted. :cheers2:
Where you're not wanted? They welcome you and your concealed firearm. They just prefer you keep it concealed. How does that equate to them not wanting you? Please reply as I am not one who must have the last word. :mrgreen:
BTW, I don't think things turned out that well for MLK. I really hope we aren't trying to compare the treatment black people received at that time in history with the current "persecution" of OCers...because, that would just be wrong.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 53

Post by Taypo »

jmra wrote: Where you're not wanted? They welcome you and your concealed firearm. They just prefer you keep it concealed. How does that equate to them not wanting you? Please reply as I am not one who must have the last word. :mrgreen:
BTW, I don't think things turned out that well for MLK. I really hope we aren't trying to compare the treatment black people received at that time in history with the current "persecution" of OCers...because, that would just be wrong.
Maybe the current hip causes can all hold a rally together. It'll be Open Carry While Stepping On The Confederate Flag During a Gay Wedding day

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

I really don't expect to open carry - much - but one of my reasons for wanting OC is my tendency to work around the house carrying and I hate to have to make the extra effort to conceal in order to make a quick run to the hardware store, or even for my wife's request that I make a "drive by dining" lunch run. I don't tend to use drive through anywhere, because they frequently are in too much of a hurry to get my order right, so even if my bride requests McDonalds I go inside to order. I am considering OCing on January 1st 2016 just for the sake of it.

I think it looks exceedingly strange to be wandering into McD's or Home Depot in a Hawaiian shirt over a sweat soaked t-shirt and jeans, so I would find it convenient to OC. If my bride wants Whataburger (I can take it or leave it, nothing that special about them) I want to be able to walk in with my .45 on my hip, place my order, pick it up, and leave without someone telling me I have to put my gun in my car before I get service.

If that happens, I will ask to escalate to management, card them (no argument, just statement), and never go back. There are several stores in the DFW metromess that I have carded due to their 30.06 signage (valid or not) that I have never gone back to and I have never missed them.

OTOH, Bass Pro, which seems to be the only place around to buy REAL black powder, wrote me a real nice letter and took down their (non-compliant) signage after I carded them.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”