This isn't a gun, but

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
baldeagle
Posts in topic: 2

This isn't a gun, but

Post by baldeagle »

The possibilities are intriguing to me. Micro-Drone 3.0.

This technology is so small you can fly it insider your house. It includes virtual reality capabilities, so you could fly this drone from your bedroom and travel through your house investigating strange noises without exposing yourself to risk. If your house has been invaded, you can locate the bad guys without them knowing where you are. In a shooting scenario, this would give you a huge advantage and provide an extra margin of safety. And the cost is minimal.

You could even fly it out the window and investigate noises in the back yard, near the garage or anywhere else on your property.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Jago668
Posts in topic: 1

Re: This isn't a gun, but

Post by Jago668 »

Kind of neat. Personally I'd rather just put cameras up. Though the drone has some entertainment uses that the cameras don't
NRA Benefactor Member

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

If I'd worry that much I'd have a few dogs, at least two. Dogs do their job without remote control and surely hear better than I do.

:lol:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Okay, I may have to get one of these. Looking at it, one thing that's unclear is if it has on-board microSD card storage to capture video; I'd need to clarify that. If it can really navigate effectively in a stiff breeze, as they claim, and can store video on-board, it would be nifty for recording sporting events that need only limited spaces...like IDPA, for example.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

We need now that micro drone laser map inside the building and compose a realtime 3D shaded space. Yeah, bring it on!
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

jmra

Post by jmra »

Hopefully they can expand on the 8 min flight time
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

mcscanner

Post by mcscanner »

Skiprr wrote:Okay, I may have to get one of these. Looking at it, one thing that's unclear is if it has on-board microSD card storage to capture video; I'd need to clarify that. If it can really navigate effectively in a stiff breeze, as they claim, and can store video on-board, it would be nifty for recording sporting events that need only limited spaces...like IDPA, for example.

Copy and paste for the Q&A at the bottom of their webpage.

Q: Does Micro Drone 3.0 only stream video or can it also record?

A: Micro Drone 3.0 can both stream video to a smartphone/tablet as well as record onto an onboard Micro SD memory card.
The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

jmra wrote:Hopefully they can expand on the 8 min flight time
:iagree:

That is one big deciding factor when I consider buying one of these. I would like to see it upwards around 30 minutes.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

mcscanner wrote:
Skiprr wrote:Okay, I may have to get one of these. Looking at it, one thing that's unclear is if it has on-board microSD card storage to capture video; I'd need to clarify that. If it can really navigate effectively in a stiff breeze, as they claim, and can store video on-board, it would be nifty for recording sporting events that need only limited spaces...like IDPA, for example.
Copy and paste for the Q&A at the bottom of their webpage.

Q: Does Micro Drone 3.0 only stream video or can it also record?

A: Micro Drone 3.0 can both stream video to a smartphone/tablet as well as record onto an onboard Micro SD memory card.
Thanks. I also didn't see the bit about 8-minute flight time that jmra noted. That's a deal breaker for me. Sigh. I guess I'll wait until the next great new thing.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Topic author
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

In my reading, micro drones average 5 minutes flight time. To get up to 40 minutes you need a much larger and more expensive drone. The problem is batteries. To have a battery last 40 minutes it has to be fairly large. The drone has to be powerful enough to carry that extra weight.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

SATX-Scrub

Post by SATX-Scrub »

What happens if it gets picked up by a migratory swallow. What is the effective range of the controller? I'm speaking about the African swallow, not the European, mind you.

Basically, what is the range?
“He looked like an accountant or a serial-killer type. Definitely one of the service industries.”
― Kinky Friedman, Elvis, Jesus, and Coca-Cola
http://atomicnumber13.blogspot.com/

92f-fan

Post by 92f-fan »

there are already quad copters on the market that have many of these features

Nano QX FPV does most of this
http://www.horizonhobby.com/nano-qx-fpv ... gy-blh7200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It doesnt have the avoidance sensors

The battery life issue will NOT be resolved anytime soon since most of these Nano size quads already weigh an ounce or 2 and half of that is battery ....

I have the Nano QX FPV and its not easy to fly and you put vision limiting googles on to fly it - so in the case of investigating a potential problem in your house you are essentially pulling a hood over your head ...

The ad that suggests that it will fly in 45 mph winds is complete bull .. the props will never have enough bite to resist the drag the BIG body would have in that wind .....
Stated 300 foot range is based on likely using bluetooth to control it - 300 feet will be BEST case - in your house it will be less

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Just don't fly it near a house fire with stressed firemen :mrgreen:

[video][/video]
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”