SB11 & HB910 This week....

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 53

Re: SB11 & HB910 This week....

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

ELB wrote:So it seems we are not worse off, but the only "advance" is that public universities and schools have to jump through some bureaucratic hoops to ban concealed carry?
That, plus the reporting requirement for public schools is significant for future use.

Chas.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 35

Post by RoyGBiv »

Senator Birdwell is doing an excellent job explaining things.

I'm finding the "legislative intent" discussion very useful.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

JollyHappyDad
Posts in topic: 27

Post by JollyHappyDad »

Did Garcia just use the same 10 states twice to make it sound like 20?

She realizes that the fragile 18 year old freshmen can't legally possess a handgun?
Last edited by JollyHappyDad on Sat May 30, 2015 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ruark
Posts in topic: 34

Post by Ruark »

Birdwell is very eloquent. Now this woman's talking about freshmen being "at a tender age." Cripes. I agree with the other poster, somebody needs to stand up and yell "ONLY STUDENTS OVER 21 and with a CHL!!!!!!"
-Ruark

TrueFlog
Posts in topic: 9

Post by TrueFlog »

If a school declares an area off-limits that is not considered reasonable within legislative intent, what recourse is there? For example, if they declare all common areas with TV's off-limits, is there a way for the students to challenge that? How are the schools be held accountable for making "reasonable" decisions?

JollyHappyDad
Posts in topic: 27

Post by JollyHappyDad »

What if the university has an alien landing port, and some galaxy traveling aliens show up, can the university ban guns on the teleporter? :banghead:

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Why is it that the default assumption is that licensed concealed carry in a daycare is a bad idea?

IMO, schools and daycare are among the most important places where I want law abiding people to carry.
Last edited by RoyGBiv on Sat May 30, 2015 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 17

Post by Vol Texan »

RoyGBiv wrote:Why is it that the default assumption is that licensed concealed carry in a daycare is a bad idea?

IMO, schools and daycare are among the most important places where I want licensed CHL's to carry.
But the children!!!!!

:banghead: :banghead:
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

TrueFlog
Posts in topic: 9

Post by TrueFlog »

TrueFlog wrote:If a school declares an area off-limits that is not considered reasonable within legislative intent, what recourse is there? For example, if they declare all common areas with TV's off-limits, is there a way for the students to challenge that? How are the schools be held accountable for making "reasonable" decisions?
Nevermind: Birdwell just answered my question. Nothing can be done until the next time the legislature meets as which point they can decide to modify or clarify the law.

jmra
Posts in topic: 78

Post by jmra »

Do the legislative members actually read the bills before they ask questions?
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

So...the community colleges are not covered by this law until after then NEXT legislative session is over?

I'll take anything we can get...and I'm willing to wait a bit longer, if need be.

------------------------

Side topic:

Garcia thinks guns and kids are not a good mix. Good thing this bill only applies to ADULT CHL holders. (At least Birdwell called her out on it.)
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

TrueFlog wrote:
TrueFlog wrote:If a school declares an area off-limits that is not considered reasonable within legislative intent, what recourse is there? For example, if they declare all common areas with TV's off-limits, is there a way for the students to challenge that? How are the schools be held accountable for making "reasonable" decisions?
Nevermind: Birdwell just answered my question. Nothing can be done until the next time the legislature meets as which point they can decide to modify or clarify the law.
It will be interesting to see how long it takes for the dust to settle on this.
Certainly some universities will push the envelope..... The question will be whether and how hard the legislature will push back.

It may take a few cycles for the legislature to establish boundaries. I have zero faith in any Board of Regents to police themselves within "legislative intent" acceptable boundaries on gun issues.

chuck j
Posts in topic: 1

Post by chuck j »

I'm 63 I'd like to see change before dementia sets in .

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

chuck j wrote:I'm 63 I'd like to see change before dementia sets in .

I'm pretty sure it has already set in...at least in Austin. :hurry: :hurry:

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Sen Huffman did a great job propping this up, reminding them that CHL is already legal on campus.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”