SB11 & HB910 This week....

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 78

Re: SB11 & HB910 This week....

Post by v7a »

casp625 wrote:In which case, why wouldn't the House just wait to see if the Senate attempts a filibuster and delay their own vote? That way, if a filibuster does occur and time wouldn't allow for passage, they can pull the conference attempt and do a 2nd up/down vote?
They can't discharge the conference committee once an agreement has been reached. Only if the conference committee does not reach an agreement can they be discharged and another concurrence vote take place.
Last edited by v7a on Wed May 27, 2015 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott Farkus
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Scott Farkus »

Can't the Senate invoke cloture and cut off a filibuster? Isn't that why Patrick got some rule changed at the beginning of the session so he didn't have to worry about such things?

I might be mixing the state/federal Senate.

Topic author
safety1
Posts in topic: 114

Post by safety1 »

The way I see it the committee MUST meet tomorrow and have a recommendation back to each chamber by Saturday.
Most likely heard in each chamber by then, if it gets to Sunday we may be hearing Green Eggs & Ham all day.
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 78

Post by v7a »

Another quote from Phillips:

House, Senate disagree on key gun bill
Lawmakers acknowledged that while it landed, the blow was glancing at best. "I have no doubt that at the end of the day there will be an open carry bill passed in the 84th session," said bill sponsor Rep. Larry Phillips, R-Sherman.

Rep. Poncho Nevarez, the only Democrat of the House's conferees, said he thinks there's little he and other open carry opponents can do because the bill itself enjoys such universal support among Republicans. If the 10-member conference committee fails to come to an agreement, he said, the House will accept the Huffines amendment rather than kill the bill all together.

"I wish it was a death knell, but I know differently," said Nevarez, D-Eagle Pass. "I think we're past the ideal outcome."
Well, I for one certainly have had my hope restored! :hurry:

Topic author
safety1

Post by safety1 »

v7a wrote:Another quote from Phillips:

House, Senate disagree on key gun bill
Lawmakers acknowledged that while it landed, the blow was glancing at best. "I have no doubt that at the end of the day there will be an open carry bill passed in the 84th session," said bill sponsor Rep. Larry Phillips, R-Sherman.

Rep. Poncho Nevarez, the only Democrat of the House's conferees, said he thinks there's little he and other open carry opponents can do because the bill itself enjoys such universal support among Republicans. If the 10-member conference committee fails to come to an agreement, he said, the House will accept the Huffines amendment rather than kill the bill all together.

"I wish it was a death knell, but I know differently," said Nevarez, D-Eagle Pass. "I think we're past the ideal outcome."
Well, I for one certainly have had my hope restored! :hurry:
I'm staying positive about this thing....it's not going to do me any good to be mad> This gives me hope as well!!! :hurry:
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

sugar land dave
Posts in topic: 6

Post by sugar land dave »

Have faith, hope, and charity......
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

Topic author
safety1

Post by safety1 »

I think the "in fighting" is over we have the numbers.....I feel confident we get HB910 across the finish line.
NRA - Life Member

Topic author
safety1

Post by safety1 »

safety1 wrote:I think the "in fighting" is over we have the numbers.....I feel confident we get HB910 across the finish line.
I earlier said KISS OC GOODBYE TEXAS. I said that in anger. I'm going to remain optimistic until midnight Sunday.
NRA - Life Member

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Beiruty »

So, I just came in. OC bill is dead, or referred to conference committee?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

PBR
Posts in topic: 5

Post by PBR »

Beiruty wrote:So, I just came in. OC bill is dead, or referred to conference committee?
to conference committee and if cannot come to an agreement it can go up for house vote again -- if agreement is meet then back to senate

sort of hope no agreement can be reached and back to house for vote cause if goes back to senate many done said they would try everything to kill it, only way i can see it passing myself
Last edited by PBR on Wed May 27, 2015 9:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

Topic author
safety1

Post by safety1 »

Beiruty wrote:So, I just came in. OC bill is dead, or referred to conference committee?
sent to conference committee
NRA - Life Member

pdxmale
Posts in topic: 9

Post by pdxmale »

this is what I sent to my rep. FLETCHER........................

"I was very disappointed to see that you voted against this bill for concurrence today. I find this hard to understand when the "amendment" is no different than current Federal Law under the 4th amendment. I assume that your POLICE background was a factor in your reservations.

Please do whatever you can to get this bill through the conference committee and passed on the floor AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, to prevent it from running out of time.

I am counting on you get OC legislation passed in this session, but that will require your help with the above process.

Please keep me posted with whatever actions that you take, as I assure you my vote and efforts to get you reelected are at stake."

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 29

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I'm hopeful, cautiously optimistic, after the last few pages. I had to vent for a bit. I'll be writing some letters tomorrow. SB11 should get a concurrence vote tomorrow as well, hopefully. Even less time for that one, but maybe. Just maybe.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by C-dub »

On the off chance that campus carry does pass and a school does make any of their buildings off limits, how will anyone know a particular building is off limits? Will they have to also post 30.06 sign(s)?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

DevilDawg
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DevilDawg »

C-dub wrote:On the off chance that campus carry does pass and a school does make any of their buildings off limits, how will anyone know a particular building is off limits? Will they have to also post 30.06 sign(s)?
I believe that is correct, I was however puking in a trashcan trying to suffer through the back and forth. The sheer volume of misinformation, ill or uninformed legislators, and just bold face liars speaking without fear of legal ramifications didn't sit well.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”