SB11 & HB910 This week....

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

boomstick
Posts in topic: 2

Re: SB11 & HB910 This week....

Post by boomstick »

When I called the Lt. Gov's office to register my CTA for movement on HB910, I was informed that the bill could not move forward until after a 2nd full day on the Calendar and was told that there would be no movement on the bill today.

I thought she might be mistaken or confused but she was very insistent that the rule is that the bill has to be on the Intent Calendar for 2 days before movement is possible and that there would be no movement on HB 910 today.
SSGT, USAF Security Police (1975-1981)
NORAD Cheyenne Mountain, Osan AB Korea, Ellsworth AFB S.D.
TX CHL/LTC Instructor (2011-2017)
NRA Pistol Instructor (2015-2017)

CJD
Posts in topic: 26

Post by CJD »

From http://www.tlc.state.tx.us/gtli/legproc ... genda.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guide to Texas Legislative Information

"No bill or resolution may be considered on its first day on the Intent Calendar."

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 78

Post by v7a »

I was told the same thing when I called (that it needs to sit for 2 days). That we may run out of time because Patrick's team is confused about the rules is highly disappointing.

Dates of Interest - 84th Legislature
Friday, May 22, 2015 (130th day)

Last day for house to consider local house bills on second and third reading
[House Rule 8, Sec. 13(a)]

First day senate can consider bills and resolutions the first day they are posted on the Senate Intent Calendar
[Senate Rule 5.14(b)]
When you call and email make sure to push back and say that according to Senate Rule 5.14(b) HB910 is eligible to considered on the Senate floor TODAY.

joelamosobadiah
Posts in topic: 9

Post by joelamosobadiah »

v7a wrote:I was told the same thing when I called (that it needs to sit for 2 days). That we may run out of time because Patrick's team is confused about the rules is highly disappointing.

Dates of Interest - 84th Legislature
Friday, May 22, 2015 (130th day)

Last day for house to consider local house bills on second and third reading
[House Rule 8, Sec. 13(a)]

First day senate can consider bills and resolutions the first day they are posted on the Senate Intent Calendar
[Senate Rule 5.14(b)]
When you call and email make sure to push back and say that according to Senate Rule 5.14(b) HB910 is eligible to considered on the Senate floor TODAY.
I looked up the rule and it appears that as of today the rules can be suspended on the first day, but you still have to suspend the rules. They may not have the votes required to do so.

Edited to add rule:
(Senate Rules 5.14) (b) Before the 130th calendar day of the regular session, the Senate may
not suspend the regular order of business and take up a bill, joint resolution, or
resolution until the second day the bill, joint resolution, or resolution has been
posted on the Intent Calendar.

K5GU
Posts in topic: 52

Post by K5GU »

In the Senate, I think if the bill is on the "Notice of Intent" calendar it can be considered that day. Also, the Senate uses the Intent Calendar as an agenda, but there's no requirement for them to follow it in the order bills are listed.
Life is good.

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Papa_Tiger »

Suspending the Regular order of Business only takes an affirmative by 3/5 of the members:
Senate Rules - 84th Legislature wrote:SUSPENSION OF THE REGULAR ORDER OF BUSINESS
Rule 5.13.
No bill, joint resolution, or resolution affecting state policy may be considered out of its regular calendar order unless the regular order is suspended by a vote of three-fifths of the members present.

K5GU
Posts in topic: 52

Post by K5GU »

See pages 5 and 6.
http://www.tlc.state.tx.us/pubslegref/gtli.pdf#page=5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Life is good.

Bladed
Posts in topic: 18

Post by Bladed »

boomstick wrote:When I called the Lt. Gov's office to register my CTA for movement on HB910, I was informed that the bill could not move forward until after a 2nd full day on the Calendar and was told that there would be no movement on the bill today.

I thought she might be mistaken or confused but she was very insistent that the rule is that the bill has to be on the Intent Calendar for 2 days before movement is possible and that there would be no movement on HB 910 today.
This is incorrect for two reasons:

1) A bill is typically prohibited from being heard during its FIRST day on the Intent Calendar. This is HB 910's SECOND day on the Intent Calendar.

2) As of the 130th day of the session (today), a bill CAN be heard on its first day on the Intent Calendar.

Either way, there is no reason HB 910 can't be heard today.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 63

Post by mojo84 »

Bladed wrote:
boomstick wrote:When I called the Lt. Gov's office to register my CTA for movement on HB910, I was informed that the bill could not move forward until after a 2nd full day on the Calendar and was told that there would be no movement on the bill today.

This is incorrect for two reasons:

1) A bill is typically prohibited from being heard during its FIRST day on the Intent Calendar. This is HB 910's SECOND day on the Intent Calendar.

2) As of the 130th day of the session (today), a bill CAN be heard on its first day on the Intent Calendar.

Either way, there is no reason HB 910 can't be heard today.
Will you call to correct Patrick's staff?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

That's great. I've actually learned so much from watching this and other bills going through the house and senate this session. Nice to be able to see some of the inner workings of our government. Some of what I've learned will also help with how I vote in future elections also.

Tracker
Posts in topic: 22

Post by Tracker »

Whooo Hoow.....We just go a vote making shrimp the official crustacean of Texas

joe817
Posts in topic: 31

Post by joe817 »

I noticed that HB 910 has authorized a co-sponsor today. Bettencourt jumped on the band wagon. I have no idea if this has any significance what so ever, but I thought it interesting that he became a co-sponsor today.

Anybody watching the Senate live broadcast? Looks like they are going through the Intent Calendar rather quickly. They should! They have a lot on their plate today.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Robert91RS
Posts in topic: 27

Post by Robert91RS »

joe817 wrote:I noticed that HB 910 has authorized a co-sponsor today. Bettencourt jumped on the band wagon. I have no idea if this has any significance what so ever, but I thought it interesting that he became a co-sponsor today.

Anybody watching the Senate live broadcast? Looks like they are going through the Intent Calendar rather quickly. They should! They have a lot on their plate today.
I'm watching with you. How do you know it was Bettencourt who was added today?

CJD

Post by CJD »

Robert91RS wrote:
joe817 wrote:I noticed that HB 910 has authorized a co-sponsor today. Bettencourt jumped on the band wagon. I have no idea if this has any significance what so ever, but I thought it interesting that he became a co-sponsor today.

Listed here:
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... Bill=HB910" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 30

Post by TVGuy »

Robert91RS wrote:

It's in the actions list on the bill.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”