CITY: 2 GUNMEN KILLED OUTSIDE MUHAMMAD CARTOON CONTEST

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

myntalfloss
Posts in topic: 1

Re: CITY: 2 GUNMEN KILLED OUTSIDE MUHAMMAD CARTOON CONTEST

Post by myntalfloss »

:iagree:
talltex wrote:
ScooterSissy wrote: In this case, they were indeed making a political statement, and I agree it was a controversial statement. However, it is their statement to make; and it was done in direct response to the previous actions taken at the same location.
I understand that they had previously allowed the center to be used for a "muslim" assembly of some kind. In spite of that, I believe it is foolish to allow the use of a public facility for an event that they KNOW is likely to elicit a negative response, and possibly a violent one, which it did. I also don't think it should ever have been approved for ANY "religious" meeting in the first place. There are plenty of private facilities that any type of religious group can use to hold an assembly. If anyone wants to hold a Muslim, Hindu, Christian or whatever assembly let them go to a Mosque, Temple, or Church and do so to their hearts content, but the government owned facilities should not be used...maintain the separation between church and state. The city of Garland was obviously anticipating problems given the uniformed and SWAT officers posted on the scene...thankfully. It's a case of "if you allow one group access, then you have no grounds to deny any other group the same access". The city council needs to look at setting a policy to avoid the issue.
:iagree:

Seemed like shooting in a baited field. Be glad when everyone gets it sorted as to who has the bestest religion so we can get on with civilization.

ScooterSissy
Posts in topic: 12

Post by ScooterSissy »

XnTx wrote:Someone said we should have a cartoon contest once a quarter. Kind of like moths to a light.
I have mixed feelings about this whole episode. Before I make my main point, I want to make a few things clear though.
  • I believe 100% that the folks that held the cartoon contest were within "their rights" to do so.
  • I believe 100% that no one should feel compelled to cease their normal activities because of threats of violence by a group that disagrees with those activities (as long as their legal)
  • I believe 100% that the reaction of terrorists to these types of events are pure evil, and they deserve what they get.
  • I believe 100% that the off-duty Garland officer is a hero
But here's the "but"...

I ride with the Patriot Guard Riders. The idiots from Kansas that "inspired" that group are exercising their "rights" when they stage the offensive protests at military (and other) funerals. In the process of their "protest", they are offending people that are totally innocent in all of this, and what they are doing is just wrong.

The folks that staged the "cartoon contest" were deliberately poking at evil people that meet civil disagreement with terror; however, at the same time they are offending many more totally innocent people of the Muslim faith that are not terrorists.

I don't see how they are any "less wrong" than the Westboro fools.

rotor
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rotor »

ScooterSissy wrote:
XnTx wrote:Someone said we should have a cartoon contest once a quarter. Kind of like moths to a light.
I have mixed feelings about this whole episode. Before I make my main point, I want to make a few things clear though.
  • I believe 100% that the folks that held the cartoon contest were within "their rights" to do so.
  • I believe 100% that no one should feel compelled to cease their normal activities because of threats of violence by a group that disagrees with those activities (as long as their legal)
  • I believe 100% that the reaction of terrorists to these types of events are pure evil, and they deserve what they get.
But here's the "but"...

I ride with the Patriot Guard Riders. The idiots from Kansas that "inspired" that group are exercising their "rights" when they stage the offensive protests at military (and other) funerals. In the process of their "protest", they are offending people that are totally innocent in all of this, and what they are doing is just wrong.

The folks that staged the "cartoon contest" were deliberately poking at evil people that meet civil disagreement with terror; however, at the same time they are offending many more totally innocent people of the Muslim faith that are not terrorists.

I don't understand how there can be a "but".
This was a private group holding a meeting about a cartoon contest in the USA. They don't have to refrain from holding the contest in the USA. This is not a Muslim country. As far as I am concerned, every newspaper in the country could have run the same cartoon on the front page. As far as the Westboro fools, we don't agree with them but we don't kill them. The supreme court has said they have the right to do what they do. We let them do it. I just don't agree with your "but". We need more brave people standing up for the first amendment. Our press has become a bunch of cowards. How many posted the picture that ran in Charlie Hebdo? Pamella Geller, the lady that set up the event has been threatened with a fatwa- is this the new law in the USA? Something is major wrong in this country when people are afraid to speak because it may "upset" some group.

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

rotor wrote:
ScooterSissy wrote:
But here's the "but"...

This was a private group holding a meeting about a cartoon contest in the USA. They don't have to refrain from holding the contest in the USA. This is not a Muslim country. As far as I am concerned, every newspaper in the country could have run the same cartoon on the front page. As far as the Westboro fools, we don't agree with them but we don't kill them. The supreme court has said they have the right to do what they do. We let them do it. I just don't agree with your "but". We need more brave people standing up for the first amendment. Our press has become a bunch of cowards. How many posted the picture that ran in Charlie Hebdo? Pamella Geller, the lady that set up the event has been threatened with a fatwa- is this the new law in the USA? Something is major wrong in this country when people are afraid to speak because it may "upset" some group.
Nowhere in what I said did I even remotely imply that we kill those with whom we disagree.

However, at least in the Westboro case, we call them all sorts of names, and look at them with disgust. The folks that held this venue were doing more than simply standing up for their rights; they were deliberately insulting the faith of millions of people that never did that group wrong.

Your response ran down areas that I didn't touch on, so I'll repeat; how are the folks that held this venue any different than the Westboro folks in what they are doing.

Both were exercising their 1st amendment rights. Both doing it as a protest. Both were being deliberately insulting to millions who had nothing to do with the "cause".

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

ScooterSissy wrote:
rotor wrote:
ScooterSissy wrote:
But here's the "but"...

Nowhere in what I said did I even remotely imply that we kill those with whom we disagree.

However, at least in the Westboro case, we call them all sorts of names, and look at them with disgust. The folks that held this venue were doing more than simply standing up for their rights; they were deliberately insulting the faith of millions of people that never did that group wrong.

Your response ran down areas that I didn't touch on, so I'll repeat; how are the folks that held this venue any different than the Westboro folks in what they are doing.

Both were exercising their 1st amendment rights. Both doing it as a protest. Both were being deliberately insulting to millions who had nothing to do with the "cause".
I personally see a huge difference - the cartoon movement is designed to strike back at Islamic extremist faction who have murdered untold numbers of people and forcibly imposed their will on 10s of millions giving them the option of converting or facing death. If you can't see the difference between the battle these people are fighting and the tactics used by the Westboro folks...I believe I could draw more correlation between the tactics used by Westboro and the Islamic extremists than could be drawn between Westboro and the cartoon activists.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Sometimes one needs to poke with every fiber of ones being in these United States. If foreigners wish to come to America for a better life they should live under our Laws and shut up. If they wish to transform America to some "Sharia Law don't offend Mohamed or I'll kill you crap" they need to be poked at every turn and exterminated when they become violent. Bring the whackos out in the light of day and take care of business the Texas way. Poke away Americans, poke away! Just a cartoon right?

We can always take the Neville Chamberlain route. Ban anything offense to muslims so we can all have peace in our time...

III

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

ScooterSissy wrote:
rotor wrote:
ScooterSissy wrote:
But here's the "but"...

When the Muslims held their event millions of Americans were insulted, when AFDI held their event millions of Muslims were insulted.

When the Muslims held their event AFDI protested, when AFDI held their event Muslims attacked it.

A comparison with Westboro is not even in the same realm.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Pam Geller is very easy to avoid. Don't attend her event.
The Westboro miscreants come find you and exploit your suffering when you're most vulnerable.

Huge, huge difference.
Sad that it had to be explained here.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

ScooterSissy wrote: The folks that staged the "cartoon contest" were deliberately poking at evil people that meet civil disagreement with terror; however, at the same time they are offending many more totally innocent people of the Muslim faith that are not terrorists.
You do realise, you, I, and the majority of the US citizens, simply drawing breath offends millions of Muslims.. YES?
You do realise, you, I, and the majority of the US citizens who do not require of and discipline our women IAW Muslim ways offends millions of Muslims..
You do realise when millions of American males refuse to kill their wife and daughters when they offend Allah by acting inappropriately IAW Muslim ways those americans are offending millions of Muslim males.

Why again am I concerned that our freedom of speech is offending millions of Muslims?
I can not control who is offended in another country in reference to how Americans live.
Last edited by E.Marquez on Fri May 08, 2015 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

C-dub
Posts in topic: 6

Post by C-dub »

The Westboro mob wasn't just offensive. They were disruptive and in your face.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

philip964
Posts in topic: 10

Post by philip964 »

Christ was dipped in urine in an exhibit funded by the federal government. No protests. No one was killed.

The Book of Mormon is a Broadway play that is satirical treatment of the Mormon religion and its followers, it won 9 Tony awards. No protests. No one was killed. Mormons have tried to use the satire on their religion to get people to learn more about being Mormon with lines like "The book is better". The writers even expected no protests saying "the Mormons will be cool about it".

Holy Virgin Mary was a painting of the Virgin Mary with elephant dung spread on it. It was exhibited in Boston with financial support from both Boston and New York City. Although there were complaints. No protests. No one was killed. and the exhibit ran its full length despite the complaints.

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

ScooterSissy wrote:Your response ran down areas that I didn't touch on, so I'll repeat; how are the folks that held this venue any different than the Westboro folks in what they are doing.
For one thing, it was held at this venue, indoors, away from the general public and the people it was likely to offend. Anyone wishing to experience their form of expression would have to go out of their way to do so. That's a lot different from crashing a funeral with a loud protest march.

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

RoyGBiv wrote:Pam Geller is very easy to avoid. Don't attend her event.
The Westboro miscreants come find you and exploit your suffering when you're most vulnerable.

Huge, huge difference.
Sad that it had to be explained here.
Agreed. I think that's the first valid "there is a difference" that I've seen. Thank you.
Sorry to the other folks - the intended target of the protests does not suddenly make the tactics appropriate. That falls under "the ends justify the means".

As far as the cartoon contest being targeted at those who would promote violence, or even simply Sharia law - the problem is that may have been who it was aimed at, but there were millions of Muslim believers who also had their religion besmirched who have not done anything wrong.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

ScooterSissy wrote:As far as the cartoon contest being targeted at those who would promote violence, or even simply Sharia law - the problem is that may have been who it was aimed at, but there were millions of Muslim believers who also had their religion besmirched who have not done anything wrong.
Sticks and stones.

Like we learned in 2nd grade.

My convictions get besmirched all the time. I manage not to kill anybody over it. Haven't even considered it.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

bilgerat57
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bilgerat57 »

Islamic law forbids depiction of any living thing by painting, sculpture or any other means. When the creator of an image goes before God he/she will be challenged to bring the image to life. If they cannot then they will be cast into hades for trying to imitate God as a creator of life. Most muslims are content to allow God to settle the issue in his own time. There's no way will I allow those few intolerant radicals to dictate my art by their faith through intimidation and fear. We, as a society, have rejected the idea of violence as an accepted response to differing opinions. If violence as an answer to insult were permitted, I could fulfill my dream of shooting flag stompers in their feet.........I won't do it, but the idea is entertaining.
As a side note, someone noted that the city of Garland must have been expecting trouble since they had such a heavy security presence. In fact, the event organizers paid in excess of $10,000.00 for security at that event. :tiphat:
A Gun in the hands of a bad man is a dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good man is a danger only to the bad man - Charlton Heston
The only time a Texan has a pinky out is to see if the chamber is empty in the dark. - SFC M. Merino US Army

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”