Need a new Bank..

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Need a new Bank..

Post by RoyGBiv »

My bank recently sold/closed all operations in Texas and failed to tell me.
I found out when I went to deposit a check and the bank had been re-branded. :mad5

I decided to move my business to Capital One 360. Entirely online, BUT, I can use Capital One branches for some transactions.
Capital One and Capital One 360 are not the same institution. They are related, but not the same.

Here's what works for me.

1. I can deposit even large checks via their smart phone app. My old bank had a $1,000 limit on mobile deposits.
2. The ATM network is HUGE. All the piddly little ATM's in CVS and Walgreens, 7-11, grocery stores, etc seem to be on the FREE list.
3. All their online accounts are FREE, earn interest (even checking earns interest) and have no minimum balance requirements (as far as I can tell so far, please reconfirm)
4. I hate debit cards. While I did get some resistance and had to write an email to corporate management (my only gripe so far), they did eventually set my debit purchase limit permanently to zero $0. I can still use the ATM, but nobody can steal my card number and make debit purchases.
5. Their online bill pay is much easier / intuitive to use than any of my previous experiences, and I'm fairly tech savvy.
6. Phone support has been very good, and the wait times have been short. Phones have always been answered by an American voice (as far as I can tell).

I have always valued having a local banking relationship. In the past few years, even my business accounts have switched managers several times. I've given up on local relationships with banks, since they seem to have given up on having an handshake relationship with me.

YMMV.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Funny story...

As I was leaving my old bank, I realized they had awarded me "points" for my patronage. I had never used any of those points. As I was looking through the list of items I could buy with my points I saw a microwave oven that was pretty nice. Just so happens that our microwave was on the fritz and in need of replacement. I "bought" a new microwave with my points.

Aren't you supposed to get a toaster oven for OPENING an account? :lol:

/story

(well... it was funny to me anyway) :mrgreen:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Post by anygunanywhere »

Get cash at the grocery store. Or post office. or anywhere else. Don't need an ATM to get cash.

You can use your phone to deposit a check.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I use USAA for everything, and we do everything online, deposit checks by smartphone, pay bills, mortgage, etc. Since USAA does not have brick & mortar, they reimburse all ATM fees.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

I've been tempted recently to use these guys, but haven't pulled the trigger, yet.

http://www.ally.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Online only, no branches. You can use ANY ATM nationwide without fees (Ally doesn't charge, and reimburses fees charged by others).
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I like Legacy Texas Bank (formerly Viewpoint Bank), and their interest-bearing checking, and their lack of 30.06 signage.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

There are lots of good suggestions here, but to answer the OP's question:
TxLobo wrote:To you, is this a big deal? ..
Yes. It is a big deal.

I carry in my bank, and would close my accounts and move to another if they posted. After doing so, I would politely let them know why I did so.
Last edited by Vol Texan on Thu May 07, 2015 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Mel

Post by Mel »

I left Viewpoint Bank because of their anti-gun policy. Found a great bank right here in Farmersville that is very gun friendly.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

stash

Post by stash »

I have several accounts at Prosperity and have had for about 7-8 years. There service is good and their people are real customer friendly and no 30.06 at the one I bank at.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Let me second USAA. They have worked very well for me and my family. I really appreciate their reimbursing me for any ATM fees from other banks. Their phone app works very well too, even for depositing checks by phone. I guess you might have a problem if you still deal with cash and need to make a deposit, but that is the only flaw I know of. If you are in the San Antonio area, they do have some branches with ATMs. I don't know where else, but I think they plan on having them in major cities soon.

And you do not need to be a vet to us them as a bank or investment service, it is only required for the insurance part.
Steve Rothstein

Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

I second Capital One 360 (formerly ING Direct). No fees and decent interest rates compared to others.

In addition to the great information provided by RGB, you can use all Capital One bank ATMs for transactions (withdrawals and deposits). May not be relevant if you don't have a location nearby.

There were some issues with their linking with Mint, but that has been resolved.
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

TomV

Post by TomV »

I love my Capital One 360. I was worried when they made the switch, but it has been easy. One of the best interest rates on a savings account out there.

My wife has USAA, there are some tradeoffs to both, but I would recommend either.
http://www.3atatraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Mel wrote:I left Viewpoint Bank because of their anti-gun policy. Found a great bank right here in Farmersville that is very gun friendly.
My branch never cared about guns, so I'm not sure what anti-gun policy you mean. They had a small gunbusters sign on the power part of the door, but that doesn't mean anything.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

rotor

Post by rotor »

Consider it a blessing to be away from BOA. Long story but be glad to be away from them.
I like Capital One 360. Great bank.
I love USAA and if you are military (or ex-military) you must switch all of your insurance to them. You just can't believe how much you will save and they set up an investor account for you that ends up being worth thousands over the years so you share in the savings. Great company.
Locally though I like to have a bank that I can just walk into though that does not have a 30.06 and cash checks, deal locally, pay my bills through the internet, etc. I like to to that with the local account as if there is a problem ( and there eventually will be) you can find someone to talk to locally.
So, it is not a question of what bank account you have but how many and I believe more than one is a good idea if you have the resources to set them up. All of the listed banks are good although I have not tried Ally but have heard good things about them.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”