EDC a BUG

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

joe817
Posts in topic: 1

Re: EDC a BUG

Post by joe817 »

My EDC is a bug. It's my avatar. And, for the present, the only gun I own. :frown5: In fact, it's been my only carry gun. Carried AIWB in an inexpensive Don Hume holster that I love.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

I have rethought my position on BUG's. I started to carry one. Not because of failure of my primary or because I plan on getting in big gun fight (although it could happen).

The single best reason to carry a BUG IMHO is to arm friendlies if possible when/where/whatever reason trouble finds you. It's a force multiplier option.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

PaJ
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PaJ »

LSUTiger wrote:I have rethought my position on BUG's. I started to carry one. Not because of failure of my primary or because I plan on getting in big gun fight (although it could happen).

The single best reason to carry a BUG IMHO is to arm friendlies if possible when/where/whatever reason trouble finds you. It's a force multiplier option.
Another excellent reason! My wife is often unarmed, so I might as well carry one for her (or some other friendly that could be nearby).

p.s. Geaux Tigers!

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

HadEmAll wrote:I always have a .380 or .38 snub in my left front pocket (my weakside) in addition to whatever larger handgun I'm carrying that day.

I can have my hand on, and draw very quickly from the pocket while standing or walking, if the situation warrants.

I've been carrying under CHL for 19 years, and have only adapted this two gun carry for the last 5 or so. It makes a lot of sense. A gun available to either hand.

I guess what drove it was my lifestyle change after retirement. I do a lot of walking now in remote, but urban settings. I come in proximity to a lot more unsavory types as I walk and explore my city and others.
Off topic:
I walk several miles a day as well and my record is 31 miles / day (14 h).
It would be nice if you would share your holster choice. I have literally destroyed 2 high dollar leather holsters with sweat and wear in 2 years. At this point I have a kydex holster ehich is not bad but also not nearly as comfortable as leather.

THX
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Kkpsiknl

Post by Kkpsiknl »

I plan on having a bug as soon as my plastic gets here. My wife likes to leave her purse and only carry a small wallet when we are out together, if I carry a bug I can give it to her should the need arise.

HadEmAll

Post by HadEmAll »

bmwrdr wrote:
HadEmAll wrote:I always have a .380 or .38 snub in my left front pocket (my weakside) in addition to whatever larger handgun I'm carrying that day.

I can have my hand on, and draw very quickly from the pocket while standing or walking, if the situation warrants.

I've been carrying under CHL for 19 years, and have only adapted this two gun carry for the last 5 or so. It makes a lot of sense. A gun available to either hand.

I guess what drove it was my lifestyle change after retirement. I do a lot of walking now in remote, but urban settings. I come in proximity to a lot more unsavory types as I walk and explore my city and others.
Off topic:
It would be nice if you would share your holster choice. I have literally destroyed 2 high dollar leather holsters with sweat and wear in 2 years. At this point I have a kydex holster ehich is not bad but also not nearly as comfortable as leather.

THX
Man, that's serious walking. Mine is an hour, sometimes two, on varying sections of the San Antonio River Walk. There's many miles of it, from very urban to very rural.

My BUG, either a Ruger LCP, Ruger LCR, or Beretta Pico is carried in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holder in the left front pocket. Different Nemesis holsters for each of course.

My "big" pistol, one of many, is carried in a Tommy's Original Gunpack, large or medium, at 12 o'clock. Right hand draw. I've got about 20 of them in various sizes and colors.

No IWB or OWB for me. Gave it up years ago. When the Tommy's develop wear inside, usually around where the rear sights are, I have a local cobbler who sews thin leather patches to cover that area. Makes them better than new.

I use the same carry method in Big Bend National Park and Padre Island National Seashore as well.

The gunpack keeps the pistol nicely protected from windborn sand and orher elemental hazards.

Topic author
BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

It would be nice if you would share your holster choice. I have literally destroyed 2 high dollar leather holsters with sweat and wear in 2 years. At this point I have a kydex holster which is not bad but also not nearly as comfortable as leather.

I walk 5-6 miles with my dog each day (36.7 miles last week), you walked 31/day? That is incredible! I carry a Glock 27 in my fanny pack along with water bottles. FYI, I had a local seamstress sewed a cheap Uncle Mike's holster inside of the fanny pack.
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

BCGlocker wrote:
It would be nice if you would share your holster choice. I have literally destroyed 2 high dollar leather holsters with sweat and wear in 2 years. At this point I have a kydex holster which is not bad but also not nearly as comfortable as leather.

I walk 5-6 miles with my dog each day (36.7 miles last week), you walked 31/day? That is incredible! I carry a Glock 27 in my fanny pack along with water bottles. FYI, I had a local seamstress sewed a cheap Uncle Mike's holster inside of the fanny pack.
Thanks for the tip, I'll look into that. And yes, I had 31.43 miles on my pedometer app on my Android phone by the time I was back home that day. It was in January of 2013 when I wanted to find out if it is possible to walk from Carrollton to Dallas downtown. I started out at in Carrollton all the way to the hospital complex on Harry Hines and back. It is actually not difficult terrain but occasionally I had to cut through grass. Traffic was the dangerous part of the whole trip. I had a tad over 14 hours on my clock and it was a sunny but brisk day. BTW, a few miles on the horse trail by lake Ray Roberts were more challenging.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

BCGlocker wrote:First, can a Texas CHL holder carries a primary and a BUG? Any non-leo EDC a Bug? Leos, do you carry a Bug when off duty?
Yup, a gun is a mechanical device and like any mechanical device, it can fail. Carry a bug. Plus, carrying a loaded ruger lcp is lighter than carrying a loaded full size glock magazine. It makes more sense to carry a bug rather than a spare mag because a bug means you'll be prepared for a quicker reload or a gun jam.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I should know the answer to this question, but it's never occurred to me: In a defense shooting situation is it legal to hand off a pistol to so-called "friendlies" if they don't have a CHL?

Also, you better be certain the "friendlies" aren't felons or some other category disallowing a pistol to be in their possession.

I had a long time friend I didn't know had served time in his distant past i.e., he is a felon.

He didn't disclose this bit of information after my knowing him for over ten years. Yes, he straightened up his act once released from prison, but he was still a felon.

So, there's that type consideration to be observed when arming a "friendly felon" and if said "friendly" shoots someone and you're the culprit that armed them, you may be in a world of legal trouble even if the shoot was a good one.

Yes, I'm speculating, but I wouldn't arm anyone without knowing their full background.

You might not only lose your CHL, you may possibly go to jail.

Be VERY certain if you ever arm someone, you positively know their background.

jmra

Post by jmra »

Abraham wrote:I should know the answer to this question, but it's never occurred to me: In a defense shooting situation is it legal to hand off a pistol to so-called "friendlies" if they don't have a CHL?

Also, you better be certain the "friendlies" aren't felons or some other category disallowing a pistol to be in their possession.

I had a long time friend I didn't know had served time in his distant past i.e., he is a felon.

He didn't disclose this bit of information after my knowing him for over ten years. Yes, he straightened up his act once released from prison, but he was still a felon.

So, there's that type consideration to be observed when arming a "friendly felon" and if said "friendly" shoots someone and you're the culprit that armed them, you may be in a world of legal trouble even if the shoot was a good one.

Yes, I'm speculating, but I wouldn't arm anyone without knowing their full background.

You might not only lose your CHL, you may possibly go to jail.

Be VERY certain if you ever arm someone, you positively know their background.
I don't know the legalities of arming someone with your bug during a shoot out, but as to the whole giving a firearm to a felon thing - I thought it was only illegal if you knowingly provided a firearm to a felon (you know that the individual can not have a handgun).
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

jmra,

I hear ya!

Handing a loaded pistol to a felon (even if you didn't know they were a felon) seems rather dicey to me. Are their exceptions i.e., helping LEO's pinned down by a shooter or ... I don't know.

Perhaps, someone with greater knowledge could chime in...?

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

I've seen court decisions regarding a felon in possession in the past where the issue of immediate need for self defense was pertinent.

For example, a assume a third party aggressor and a felon uses a gun in self defense. A felon who uses a gun that he had ready at hand would still be convicted of felon in possession. However, there were cases were a felon did not have a gun before the confrontation started, picked up or was handed a gun during the confrontation, and was not charged. The legal reasoning was he had no intent to violate felony possession laws, but was faced with NECESSITY.

I believe the case of legitimate self defense with an immediate need, the necessity defense would apply also to giving your BUG to a felon, even if you alreay knew he was a felon:
Sec. 9.22. NECESSITY. Conduct is justified if:

(1) the actor reasonably believes the conduct is immediately necessary to avoid imminent harm;

(2) the desirability and urgency of avoiding the harm clearly outweigh, according to ordinary standards of reasonableness, the harm sought to be prevented by the law proscribing the conduct; and

(3) a legislative purpose to exclude the justification claimed for the conduct does not otherwise plainly appear.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”