CC at private residence

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

RJGold
Posts in topic: 1

Re: CC at private residence

Post by RJGold »

BlueMerle wrote:
ScooterSissy wrote:I guess I'm a little surprised at some of the responses here. Some feel no one should come in their homes without first telling whether or not they're armed; do those folks also feel that permission should be granted by a business owner before someone carries? Why should a business have to post, but not a homeowner? To me, it's the same concept, if you don't want someone to carry in your home, post it.

As far as carrying in other folks homes, I carry just about anytime I leave the house. I'm not going to disarm just because I"m going to someone's home that i know (unless I see a sign on the door). I'm typically not going to leave it at home (unless they tell me to ahead of time). I've never had either happen.

Most of those that know me well know that if I come over, there's a good chance I'm armed. Those that don't know, I'm not likely to tell them one way or another.

I never said that in any way shape or form. You don't need to tell me anything, but you'd better not carry in my home without my permission.
Of course, it's your home so do what you want to do, but...

How is someone supposed to know how you feel about legally carrying in your home unless you notify them (30.06 or other means of legal notification)?

I often carry into homes where I don't know the people well (just as I do into businesses not posted by 30.06). I doubt any of the homeowners know I'm armed and I also have never received notification that they don't want me carrying there.

I'm just curious how someone is supposed to know that "they'd better not carry in your home without your permission"?

Again, it's your home so you make the rules. I just wonder how you enforce them?
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Oldgringo »

jmra wrote:
suthdj wrote:If I trust someone enough to come into my home I trust them enough to carry.
:iagree:
There it is! (That's kinda' what I was sayin' earlier.)

BlueMerle
Posts in topic: 9

Post by BlueMerle »

ScottDLS wrote:
BlueMerle wrote:
jmra wrote:
BlueMerle wrote:
ScooterSissy wrote:I guess I'm a little surprised at some of the responses here. Some feel no one should come in their homes without first telling whether or not they're armed; do those folks also feel that permission should be granted by a business owner before someone carries? Why should a business have to post, but not a homeowner? To me, it's the same concept, if you don't want someone to carry in your home, post it.

As far as carrying in other folks homes, I carry just about anytime I leave the house. I'm not going to disarm just because I"m going to someone's home that i know (unless I see a sign on the door). I'm typically not going to leave it at home (unless they tell me to ahead of time). I've never had either happen.

Most of those that know me well know that if I come over, there's a good chance I'm armed. Those that don't know, I'm not likely to tell them one way or another.

I never said that in any way shape or form. You don't need to tell me anything, but you'd better not carry in my home without my permission.
Just curious, if your home isn't posted how is someone supposed to know they "better not carry in my home without my permission"?
They won't and I'll never post my home either. Perhaps I, and many I know, just see the issue differently. A persons home is sacrosanct imo. It's nothing more than common courtesy.

Now to be clear, I'm not going to cause a scene if I happen to find that someone is carrying in my home but I will have a private talk with them and explain that I find it rude and may ask them to put it in their vehicle.... may. (this assumes they have a chl, if not they'll be asked to leave immediately.)
While I don't agree with you on this point, I believe we may have a way to handle this if open carry passes. If you're entering the home of someone where you don't know how they feel on CC, you open carry and point to it before you enter thereby seeking permission (as suggested by somebody earlier above).

And by the way if you do feel so strongly, it's kind of rude not to post a sign or tell the person in advance how you feel before inviting them.
I understand your point regarding the bolded. Perhaps it's just that we run in different circles. Not that that makes either one right or wrong.

I'm simply saying that it's rude, imo, to enter someone's home while carrying, without their permission. Would you openly pass gas at a friends house during a social or business gathering? Not the best analogy, I admit. But hopefully it gets the point across. There are some things, that while perfectly legal, are just plain rude.

As for open carry, I can assure you that none of the CHL friends I have would consider OC in someone's house during a business or social event unless the invitation specifically said "Got Guns?.. Show Em!" And they apply the same towards CC.

I'm strongly supportive of 2A and individual rights to both own and carry a gun. I just place the sanctity of the home above that.

Some may, and clearly do, disagree. That's you're right. You're not breaking any laws. Just don't forget that I'm the King of my Castle, and I'll make the final decision, regardless of the law. Show me the courtesy of not carrying in my home without my permission, just as you would not openly pass gas in my crowded living room.

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

BlueMerle wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
BlueMerle wrote:
jmra wrote:
BlueMerle wrote:

Just curious, if your home isn't posted how is someone supposed to know they "better not carry in my home without my permission"?
They won't and I'll never post my home either. Perhaps I, and many I know, just see the issue differently. A persons home is sacrosanct imo. It's nothing more than common courtesy.

Now to be clear, I'm not going to cause a scene if I happen to find that someone is carrying in my home but I will have a private talk with them and explain that I find it rude and may ask them to put it in their vehicle.... may. (this assumes they have a chl, if not they'll be asked to leave immediately.)
While I don't agree with you on this point, I believe we may have a way to handle this if open carry passes. If you're entering the home of someone where you don't know how they feel on CC, you open carry and point to it before you enter thereby seeking permission (as suggested by somebody earlier above).

And by the way if you do feel so strongly, it's kind of rude not to post a sign or tell the person in advance how you feel before inviting them.
I understand your point regarding the bolded. Perhaps it's just that we run in different circles. Not that that makes either one right or wrong.

I'm simply saying that it's rude, imo, to enter someone's home while carrying, without their permission. Would you openly pass gas at a friends house during a social or business gathering? Not the best analogy, I admit. But hopefully it gets the point across. There are some things, that while perfectly legal, are just plain rude.

As for open carry, I can assure you that none of the CHL friends I have would consider OC in someone's house during a business or social event unless the invitation specifically said "Got Guns?.. Show Em!" And they apply the same towards CC.

I'm strongly supportive of 2A and individual rights to both own and carry a gun. I just place the sanctity of the home above that.

Some may, and clearly do, disagree. That's you're right. You're not breaking any laws. Just don't forget that I'm the King of my Castle, and I'll make the final decision, regardless of the law. Show me the courtesy of not carrying in my home without my permission, just as you would not openly pass gas in my crowded living room.
If you know me well enough to invite me over to your house you will know that I carry all the time that I am awake, including Church. If you do not want me to carry at your house you need to specify that carry is not allowed and I will comply by not darkening your doorstep. I am not being sarcastic, if you come to my house I will expect you to act proper and curiously, but would not ask you to disarm. Asking a person to disarm that you have invited to your house is showing a lack of faith in that persons morals and intentions and you should not have invited them. Your carrying a firearm is hopefully for the same reasons that I carry mine.

pebblebeachkid

Post by pebblebeachkid »

If you know me well enough to invite me over to your house you will know that I carry all the time that I am awake, including Church. If you do not want me to carry at your house you need to specify that carry is not allowed and I will comply by not darkening your doorstep. I am not being sarcastic, if you come to my house I will expect you to act proper and curiously, but would not ask you to disarm. Asking a person to disarm that you have invited to your house is showing a lack of faith in that persons morals and intentions and you should not have invited them. Your carrying a firearm is hopefully for the same reasons that I carry mine.

bravo well said

BlueMerle

Post by BlueMerle »

MeMelYup wrote:
BlueMerle wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
BlueMerle wrote:
jmra wrote:
BlueMerle wrote:

You clearly haven't read all of my posts or don't understand that there are circumstances where someone you've never met is going to come over to your house. So please, take the time to read and then get back with me because the bolded above is not a reasonable argument.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ScottDLS »

MeMelYup

I think MMY's post might have been better if said something more along the lines of what I was saying earlier. Hospitality goes both ways...if you have criteria for guests in your home that they may not know like no CC or "take your shoes off at the door" then you ought to communicate them in advance , or at least upon arrival of the guest. Just so your guest has the opportunity to comply, or choose not to visit you...if he has a CCW or stinky feet. I think a reasonably noticeable NO SOLICITORS, NO GUNS, CIRCLE "/" SHOES on you door would do. :lol:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

BlueMerle wrote:

I didn't point to any particular person, and summarized what I read.

But, how is one to know they need your permission, unless you either tell them personally ahead of time, or post it? BTW, were it me entering your home, just as I would probably not know your feelings, you would probably never know I was carrying.

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

BlueMerle wrote:...

Passing gas has other side effects, that's what makes it rude. Concealed carry has not effects, unless it becomes unconcealed. If the person did so without cause, that would be rude. If they did it for good cause, they may have been doing you and your other guests a service.

Is it your position that anyone entering another person's home should tell that person they're armed (you seemed to take umbrage when I suggested that). If not, how is the carrier expected to know your views?

Do you similarly believe that one should get permission from a business owner before carrying on to their property? If not, why do you think a business owner should have fewer property rights than a homeowner?

Please don't get me wrong, I agree that home ownership (actually property ownership in general) should be avove 2A rights. Businesses, and individuals, should be free to tell someone to leave if they're armed. I guess where we part ways is the presumption that it's "rude" to carry onto another's property without their permission.

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

You clearly haven't read all of my posts or don't understand that there are circumstances where someone you've never met is going to come over to your house. So please, take the time to read and then get back with me because the bolded above is not a reasonable argument.
I have read all of your posts in this thread, and still don't understand how you think a person who doesn't know you well would 1) Know that you expect a person to have permission and 2) get permission without informing you they're armed.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

ScooterSissy wrote:
I have read all of your posts in this thread, and still don't understand how you think a person who doesn't know you well would 1) Know that you expect a person to have permission and 2) get permission without informing you they're armed.
I always thought it was women who expected me to read their minds. "rlol" "rlol"
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

BlueMerle

Post by BlueMerle »

ScooterSissy wrote:

Ok, I'm about done with this.

I don't expect anyone to read my mind, as the somewhat snarky post above suggests. I expect a level of civility that understands that it's rude to bring a weapon into anyone's HOME without prior permission. The law is not the be all and end all when it comes to a private residence.

It's really that simple.

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

BlueMerle wrote:
ScooterSissy wrote:

Ok, I'm about done with this.

I don't expect anyone to read my mind, as the somewhat snarky post above suggests. I expect a level of civility that understands that it's rude to bring a weapon into anyone's HOME without prior permission. The law is not the be all and end all when it comes to a private residence.

It's really that simple.
Then I'm back to where I was before. If you expect that it's rude to bring a weapon to ANYONE's home, then it follows that you expect an armed person to tell homeowners they're armed (so they can get permission), or simply to disarm.

I disagree with your premise. I no more think it's rude to carry armed (and concealed) than I consider it rude to wear briefs instead of boxers. Concealed means concealed, and that means I don't tell people about it, unless there's a very good reason. Coming into their home, or their business, is not a "good reason" to inform them, unless they've indicated they don't want weapons.

Then, I have a decision to make.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

BlueMerle wrote:I don't expect anyone to read my mind, as the somewhat snarky post above suggests. I expect a level of civility that understands that it's rude to bring a weapon into anyone's HOME without prior permission.
I disagree with your premise as well. I think it is rude to expect people to magically know you do not want a concealed carrier in your house.

Comparing concealed carry to passing gas in public is a telling analogy, as they simply aren't even comparable. I put my gun on the in the morning at the same time I am putting my wallet, keys, pocket knife, and cell phone in my pockets. My concealed carry handgun has as much external impact on anybody as the fact I have those other items in my pocket. I consider what is in my pockets to be nobody's business.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Interesting. As a matter of philosophical consistency, if I want to be tolerated while armed, I think I should tolerate others who are armed.

A gun that is not only physically concealed but is not an operative part of the conversation is hard to object to. Expecting non-compliant signage to mean something, that sort of weakens the argument for the standard sign.

I would respect a homeowner's wishes, no matter how conveyed. An overnight guest is a little different in a home with kids. Nighttime storage, while in the shower, etc., has to be addressed. Safety never takes a holiday.

And of course, your home your rules.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”