HB910 on House Calendar for 3rd Reading

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

mojo84
Posts in topic: 75

Re: HB910 Friday April 17, House Calendar for 2nd Reading

Post by mojo84 »

jmra wrote:
mojo84 wrote:It really would be great if they could have slipped in an amendment removing the prohibited places also.
:iagree:
Trying to limit the amendments in order to get something as close as possible to what the senate passed kept a few things from being added to the bill that would have been nice to include but I understand the strategy.

Yeah, got to be careful with amendments. But hey, if I'm wishing I'm going all out.

Normally I'm against amendments unless they are directly related to the proposed bill. We wouldn't be in such a pickle as our country find itself if the US congress abided by a strict germaneness rule. But that's a topic for another time and thread I guess.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

viking1000
Posts in topic: 9

Post by viking1000 »

HB 910 is on the supplemental calender for third reading, it is the last item of the day for this Monday the 20th..

stash
Posts in topic: 5

Post by stash »

I read an article in the Christian Science Monitor this morning re the Texas house passage of Licensed OC. Among other things, the article indicated that the legislature opted to require a special open-carry permit for which owners would have to apply. I don't recall seeing anything about a special open carry permit in SB17 or HB910 or amendments put forth on Fri. Did I miss something or what?
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

jmra
Posts in topic: 21

Post by jmra »

stash wrote:I read an article in the Christian Science Monitor this morning re the Texas house passage of Licensed OC. Among other things, the article indicated that the legislature opted to require a special open-carry permit for which owners would have to apply. I don't recall seeing anything about a special open carry permit in SB17 or HB910 or amendments put forth on Fri. Did I miss something or what?
No. The current CHL is the only requirement. That same misinformation was in a Yahoo article. Don't know where it's coming from.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

sugar land dave
Posts in topic: 7

Post by sugar land dave »

jmra wrote:
stash wrote:I read an article in the Christian Science Monitor this morning re the Texas house passage of Licensed OC. Among other things, the article indicated that the legislature opted to require a special open-carry permit for which owners would have to apply. I don't recall seeing anything about a special open carry permit in SB17 or HB910 or amendments put forth on Fri. Did I miss something or what?
No. The current CHL is the only requirement. That same misinformation was in a Yahoo article. Don't know where it's coming from.
Smart. Why build and entirely new infrastructure when you have a good one already in place. CHL instructors generally do a good job here in Texas.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

The Wall
Posts in topic: 20

Post by The Wall »

Duplicate post. It won't let me delete it. Guess I waited too long. :lol:
Last edited by The Wall on Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Wall
Posts in topic: 20

Post by The Wall »

jmra wrote:
Maybe they are thinking about the amendment that wanted open carry to require some kind of badge. It was tabled, thank goodness.

Topic author
K5GU
Posts in topic: 58

Post by K5GU »

jmra wrote:
Here's the article I just saw. http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/20 ... long-video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I sent an email to that staff writer suggesting he check his sources again and print an accurate corrected article.
Last edited by K5GU on Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is good.

Topic author
K5GU

Post by K5GU »

gregsauls wrote:I heard from a couple sources that what the non-germane amendment that Stickland was trying to get introduced Friday was to remove fees for a Texas CHL, ie free CHL. In a way it would get even closer to the constitutional carry/no-infringement goal the OC gang has desires on seeing or more likely torpedo CHL-Open carry for this session. He would also have record to run on to show who voted against "his" version/amendment that denied Texas OC.

If this is true, I can see why the whole Stickland side show needed to go down in flames with regards to HB-910. Weird if true.
If I read Stickland's commentary in the House Journal correctly, it seems his amendment would have allowed open carry with or without a CHL. If true, I don't see how it could be germane. Germaneness notwithstanding, he wasted a lot of time and written space in the journal on an amendment that would've been tabled anyway.
Last edited by K5GU on Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is good.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 8

Post by RoyGBiv »

K5GU wrote:
jmra wrote:
Here's the article I just saw. http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/20 ... long-video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I sent an email to that staff writer suggesting he check his sources again and print an accurate corrected article.
Hopefully you reminded him that Texas is not the "Long" Star State? :lol:
The state of high plains drifters and urban cowboys has long been skeptical about open-carry of handguns, making the Long Star State more like New York than Arizona when it comes to guns out in the open. That’s now changing.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
K5GU

Post by K5GU »

RoyGBiv wrote:
K5GU wrote:
jmra wrote:
And they're long guns, not long runs! Quoting from the article, "To be sure, Texas has always allowed residents to carry long runs, like rifles and shotguns, in the open, a nod to its pioneer past and living ranch legacy." :lol:
Life is good.

jmra

Post by jmra »

K5GU wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
K5GU wrote:
jmra wrote:
And they're long guns, not long runs! Quoting from the article, "To be sure, Texas has always allowed residents to carry long runs, like rifles and shotguns, in the open, a nod to its pioneer past and living ranch legacy." :lol:
Remember when someone's sole job was proof reading/editing articles before they were published? Some of the stuff that passes for news these days is almost impossible to read.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
K5GU

Post by K5GU »

jmra wrote:
K5GU wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
K5GU wrote:
jmra wrote:
Remember when someone's sole job was proof reading/editing articles before they were published? Some of the stuff that passes for news these days is almost impossible to read.
:iagree:
Life is good.

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 10

Re: HB910 on House Calendar for 3rd Reading

Post by G.A. Heath »

Here I was thinking spam bots were writing the articles, with the headlines like "Texas set to approve open up have of handguns, witnessed as get for gun-rights activists" from this article http://www.bulletinstandard.org/us/texa ... 10153.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It will be hard to convince me otherwise.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

jmra

Re: HB910 on House Calendar for 3rd Reading

Post by jmra »

G.A. Heath wrote:Here I was thinking spam bots were writing the articles, with the headlines like "Texas set to approve open up have of handguns, witnessed as get for gun-rights activists" from this article http://www.bulletinstandard.org/us/texa ... 10153.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It will be hard to convince me otherwise.
Wow! That was painful.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”