EDC a BUG

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
BCGlocker
Posts in topic: 2

EDC a BUG

Post by BCGlocker »

First, can a Texas CHL holder carries a primary and a BUG? Any non-leo EDC a Bug? Leos, do you carry a Bug when off duty?
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

Jumping Frog

Re: EDC a BUG

Post by Jumping Frog »

BCGlocker wrote:First, can a Texas CHL holder carries a primary and a BUG? Any non-leo EDC a Bug? Leos, do you carry a Bug when off duty?
Sure, you can carry as many firearms as you can conceal. I've seen Youtbube videos where someone stands there looking normal and then starts pulling guns out from all over their body. I've seen as many as a dozen guns at once.

Personally, I went to a gun rights event once where I wore four guns "just because I could".

A BUG is a personal choice, regardless of LEO or non-LEO. Many do, many do not.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

HadEmAll

Post by HadEmAll »

I always have a .380 or .38 snub in my left front pocket (my weakside) in addition to whatever larger handgun I'm carrying that day.

I can have my hand on, and draw very quickly from the pocket while standing or walking, if the situation warrants.

I've been carrying under CHL for 19 years, and have only adapted this two gun carry for the last 5 or so. It makes a lot of sense. A gun available to either hand.

I guess what drove it was my lifestyle change after retirement. I do a lot of walking now in remote, but urban settings. I come in proximity to a lot more unsavory types as I walk and explore my city and others.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

My EDC is a Glock 30SF. It is classified as a BUG for IDPA and will now fit into their classification for CCP.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

PaJ

Post by PaJ »

Guns are mechanical devices that can malfunction or break. Or a situation may make it difficult to get to one weapon so having an alternate could save your life. I usually have one gun on body and one gun off body. I am transitioning to having two on body when possible.

I carry a P938 9mm and a P30 9mm every day. Which configuration depends on what is practical for the days activities.

GeekwithaGun
Posts in topic: 1

Post by GeekwithaGun »

I don't usually carry a BUG, but may reconsider this choice. My nephew is a Michigan State Police trooper, we were discussing the MSP policy and he must carry a BUG on duty, they issue S&W revolver in .357. He also must carry concealed when off-duty and in plain clothes.
NRA Life Member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I don't criticize the choice of others to carry a BUG, and I understand the logic of it, but I don't carry one myself. If I ever felt strongly enough about having access to a second gun, I'd probably make sure that I had a shotgun or an AR at hand. I do own a couple of guns that could serve as BUGs - a .357 snubbie and a PM9 pocket pistol - but when I carry them, I carry them as a primary, not a backup. Maybe if I lived/worked/walked in a more dangerous area, I'd feel differently about it.......
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

I've tried carrying a backup gun but I just can't get used to the extra hassle. I've tried pocket holsters, ankle holsters and even a shoulder holster with another IWB. The extra hassle of it all never seemed to yield any benefits. All of the pistols I carry have proven themselves reliable and I don't see myself in a firefight so two guns just fell to the wayside.

If I'm traveling I'll have two guns because it's nice to remove the IWB gun and still have an option when you want to get out of the car for a quick break but other than that...
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

CoffeeNut wrote:I've tried carrying a backup gun but I just can't get used to the extra hassle. I've tried pocket holsters, ankle holsters and even a shoulder holster with another IWB. The extra hassle of it all never seemed to yield any benefits. All of the pistols I carry have proven themselves reliable and I don't see myself in a firefight so two guns just fell to the wayside.

If I'm traveling I'll have two guns because it's nice to remove the IWB gun and still have an option when you want to get out of the car for a quick break but other than that...
The benefits of having a second gun at all won't be apparent until needed. It's the same thought regarding carrying a gun at all in the first place. Better to have one and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I do not carry a second gun. Only two spare mags and two knives.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

BAW1967

Post by BAW1967 »

I carry a .380 as a BUG with my EDC S&W 9mm. Never know when I may need it or I can give it to the wife if we both need one.

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

C-dub wrote:
CoffeeNut wrote:I've tried carrying a backup gun but I just can't get used to the extra hassle. I've tried pocket holsters, ankle holsters and even a shoulder holster with another IWB. The extra hassle of it all never seemed to yield any benefits. All of the pistols I carry have proven themselves reliable and I don't see myself in a firefight so two guns just fell to the wayside.

The benefits of having a second gun at all won't be apparent until needed. It's the same thought regarding carrying a gun at all in the first place. Better to have one and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Better to have 3 and not need them? What about 4? A SAW? Where's the line drawn on what is needed and what is not? I draw mine at personal comfort vs. realistic threat assessment.

I too carry a knife and extra mags.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

"A" BUG? :biggrinjester:

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

I always carry a BUG. Primary is always a semi and bug is almost always my snub nose smith. I figure if I need the bug I am in big trouble and want something that goes bang. Either the semi has failed, I am out of ammo (which means I am engaging a platoon strength target) LOL and or I am possibly hurt without the use of an arm and need something that just points and shoots with no safeties . Hence, revolver.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

CoffeeNut wrote:
C-dub wrote:

Better to have 3 and not need them? What about 4? A SAW? Where's the line drawn on what is needed and what is not? I draw mine at personal comfort vs. realistic threat assessment.

I too carry a knife and extra mags.
It's a personal choice. I like to live on the edge and only carry one. :biggrinjester:

SkipB

Post by SkipB »

I don't feel the need for a back up gun. I carry a primary and thats it. I carry for personal protection. I don't plan on getting in a big gun fight where I need two guns.
Skip Bishop

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”