Costco Gun Policy

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Costco Gun Policy

Post by ScottDLS »

OldCannon wrote:Costco is a membership store. The no gun policy is explained in the membership terms. Legally speaking, you're signing an agreement to abide by those terms, including the no-gun policy. On the other hand, there is no 30.06 sign. No 30.06 means I can do what I feel is necessary. If that means I lose my membership if I have to defend the life of myself or my family, so be it.
Costco is founded and run by big government liberals. The policy is typical of their leftist worldview.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Oldgringo wrote:Similar to this conundrum is the official stance of the United Methodist Church: "Therefore, every United Methodist church is officially declared a weapon-free zone."

Did I carry in the Rusk FUMC this morning? Yes, just like I carried in the Costco in The Woodlands where we went for hearing 'stuff' last week. Absent a 30.06 sign or negative statement from the Rev or Store Manager, licensed CC carry is permitted in Texas in these two structures. That said, remember that concealed is concealed.
I carried my firearm in the Polk Street United Methodist Church in Amarillo last Friday, when I was there to celebrate the life of a dear friend of mine who was called home on Monday last week. There was no sign on the door (compliant or not), and I am not a UMC member, so I have no idea what their rules are. In addition to my firearm, I was also carrying a largish folding knife which is a potential weapon too. As far as I am concerned, it is/was a non-issue.

I am also a Costco member, and I carry in my Costco store. I completely understand that they can throw me out, and terminate my membership, if they are so inclined, and IF they ever discover that I am carrying. That said, and considering where I live, I suspect that any number of people in my local Costco are carrying on any given day. I know my wife certainly is.

In the Las Vegas incident, it was as much a problem with LVPD, the local Sheriff's office, and democrat-controlled Las Vegas itself that was at issue - creating a gun-hostile environment - than anything else. This is Texas, and I have far fewer such concerns than I would have in Vegas.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

misterlarry
Posts in topic: 1

Post by misterlarry »

To me, it appears that Costco clearly does not support CHL and clearly does not want the membership or money of CHL holders. I am happy to oblige them.
01/19/2013 CHL Class - 03/25/2013 CHL Arrived
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

Firearms are controversial. Costco is a public company. By coming out pro-firearm or anti-firearm you're effectively alienating part of your customer base.
Costco - at least in the stores near me, doesn't post 30.06.

And in terms of membership, my wife got us membership. I believe I eventually showed up, produced a DL, and they handed me a card. I never saw or signed a membership agreement.

Rrash

Post by Rrash »

cb1000rider wrote:Firearms are controversial. Costco is a public company. By coming out pro-firearm or anti-firearm you're effectively alienating part of your customer base.
I think the language that is in there is written in such a way as to protect Costco against another Nevada incident. If they were really truly anti-gun - in the same sense as Whole Foods and Sprouts for example - 30.06 would be posted on every one of their entrances. If that were the case, I would gladly accept a refund on my membership. Personally, while its good to have these discussions on this forum, answer questions and clarify grey areas for CHL's, but I also think its wise to keep this kind of discussion here. The last thing we need to do is make something like this an issue where companies are forced to take a stance.

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

Rrash wrote: I think the language that is in there is written in such a way as to protect Costco against another Nevada incident. If they were really truly anti-gun - in the same sense as Whole Foods and Sprouts for example - 30.06 would be posted on every one of their entrances.
I don't know how any amount of written language can prevent what went on at that Nevada Costco. And because of the video footage "loss" at Costco all we're left with is conjecture on many of the facts.

I agree with you - I don't view Costco as anti-anything. They've got a legal team that can understand 30.06 and the signs at the entrances are conspicuous and well placed. If they wanted the language there, it'd be there... The fact that the founders are Democrats doesn't mean that they fall in the "them" category necessarily... Shockingly, there are Democrats that own firearms and respect the constitution.

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

cb1000rider wrote:Firearms are controversial. Costco is a public company. By coming out pro-firearm or anti-firearm you're effectively alienating part of your customer base.

And in terms of membership, my wife got us membership. I believe I eventually showed up, produced a DL, and they handed me a card. I never saw or signed a membership agreement.

This pretty much describes my story as well. In fact, I don't recall that I even 'showed up' anywhere. I think my spouse simply requested an additional AMEX card in my name, and that acts as my membership card.

I understand that, if my weapon ever becomes visible and is observed, they could ask me to leave and/or end my membership. If that happens, I'll go peacefully.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

ShootDontTalk

Post by ShootDontTalk »

The Annoyed Man wrote: In the Las Vegas incident, it was as much a problem with LVPD, the local Sheriff's office, and democrat-controlled Las Vegas itself that was at issue - creating a gun-hostile environment - than anything else. This is Texas, and I have far fewer such concerns than I would have in Vegas.
A friend who lived in Vegas for many years reminded me that LVPD was, for many years, the enforcement arm for the mob in Vegas. If true, it lends a whole new meaning to "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas."
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

Streetwalker

Post by Streetwalker »

I've been a Costco member for over 30 years. Carried in their stores in several states. I've never seen a sign at Costco anywhere.

When my wife and I left Portland Oregon after 25 years one of the top criteria was that we have Costco nearby. That being said if Costco posts a valid sign I'm gone.

Mel

Post by Mel »

Streetwalker wrote:I've been a Costco member for over 30 years. Carried in their stores in several states. I've never seen a sign at Costco anywhere.
When my wife and I left Portland Oregon after 25 years one of the top criteria was that we have Costco nearby. That being said if Costco posts a valid sign I'm gone.
Have you read your membership agreement? Since Costco is a private club, if they have it in their membership agreement, they don't have to post signs.
I've never been a member, but I've heard that it is in the agreement.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

Mel wrote:
Streetwalker wrote:I've been a Costco member for over 30 years. Carried in their stores in several states. I've never seen a sign at Costco anywhere.
Have you read your membership agreement? Since Costco is a private club, if they have it in their membership agreement, they don't have to post signs.
And we've also heard that it does not contain the language required according to Texas 30.06. So, they could only revoke the membership and you could not be prosecuted for trespass yet because you hadn't received the required notice yet.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 3

Post by sjfcontrol »

I don't believe I've ever seen a Costco membership agreement. I've been a member since it was the Price Club, and signed up in the 1980's in San Diego. (My membership card says May of 1984.) I GUARANTEE there was no 30.06 notice in THAT paperwork.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

Mel wrote:
Written communication still has to adhere to the verbiage in 30.06 in order to be effective notice.

If it's a card instead of a sign (perhaps like a pamphlet with the terms) it has to be given to the person as well. I signed up as someone else's 2nd card and was never given anything detailing the terms, nor did I sign any contract that would have had the terms on it.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Oldgringo »

In TEXAS, until Costco posts a 30.06 sign, methinks this concern (?) over legal concealed carry in a Costco is much ado about nothing. (ode to The Bard)

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

I don't get you guys? Why on earth would you knowingly finance those who oppose your 2nd Amendment rights by giving their businesses your money? And it's not just your 2nd Amendment rights they want to take from you. There is no ambiguity in this situation: Costo is openly and avowedly anti-gun and anti-selfdefense, pro-Obama and pro-DNC. Geez, why not just give your money directly to the Obama and the DNC, cut out the middleman?

http://influenceexplorer.com/organizati ... a03a7d9d8d
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”