Costco Gun Policy

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Grisu
Posts in topic: 2

Costco Gun Policy

Post by Grisu »

I stumbled across an interesting part on Costco's website. I know I have never seen a 30.06 sign on the door nor have I seen any type of sign prohibiting the licensed carry for the past decade plus of being a member, however a couple here have posted that they did their walk at Costco:

https://ems02071lb.egain.net/system/sel ... LE_ID=2837" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The real question and I am not sure about is if this is in the membership rules but not posted, does that imply a "verbal" 30.06 or does it not meet the notification required by law?

:confused5

I have been shopping at Costco since they came to Houston and would really hate having to stop going....

Texsquatch
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Costco Gun Policy

Post by Texsquatch »

The way I take it is they can kick you out of the place, but I don't think you'd be breaking the law. I can't imagine anything can "imply" 30.06 except an actual legally posted 30.06.

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

I don't see the 30.06 wording, so no.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Rrash

Post by Rrash »

That is not a legal notice according to the State of Texas, although if they found out you were carrying, they would ask you to leave your weapon in the car and/or offer to refund your membership - which would then be considered a verbal notice. Until you are notified either verbally or they legally post or provide you with a card with the proper 30.06 verbage, you are not breaking any laws in Texas. Carry on & stay concealed.

Topic author
Grisu

Post by Grisu »

Do I not recall from my CHL class if an establishment informs you that they are not allowing carry that this has not to be done in the 30.06 verbiage nor do they have to post it to be effective? Kind of like a trespass warning. Further more, by being a member, this clubs rule is that you shall not carry. In any case it is a violation of your membership terms but does it put you in a legal limbo as well?

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

Grisu wrote:Do I not recall from my CHL class if an establishment informs you that they are not allowing carry that this has not to be done in the 30.06 verbiage nor do they have to post it to be effective? Kind of like a trespass warning. Further more, by being a member, this clubs rule is that you shall not carry. In any case it is a violation of your membership terms but does it put you in a legal limbo as well?
Taken from the Texas DPS quotation of 30.06:
“Written communication” means:
(A) a card or other document on which is written language identical
to the following: “Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by
holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under
Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (concealed handgun
law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun”
; or
(B) a sign posted on the property that:
(i) includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English
and Spanish;
(ii) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in
height; and
(iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

jmra

Post by jmra »

Grisu wrote:Do I not recall from my CHL class if an establishment informs you that they are not allowing carry that this has not to be done in the 30.06 verbiage nor do they have to post it to be effective? Kind of like a trespass warning. Further more, by being a member, this clubs rule is that you shall not carry. In any case it is a violation of your membership terms but does it put you in a legal limbo as well?
If someone in authority (such as a store manager) tells you verbally that guns are prohibited, you have received legal notice. The only way Costco's written policy/contract would be considered legal notice is if the exact wording from 30.06 were included.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

philip964

Post by philip964 »

They used this language on their website to have a Costco member Erik Scott killed by the Las Vegas police after he brought his legal concealed weapon into the their store and he inadvertently exposed it while bending down.

The store employee advised him verbally that guns were not allowed, but never asked him to leave. He then called the police.

Erik was a West Point Graduate with a MBA from Duke, a former Captain in the Army, and he was shopping with his girlfriend when he was killed by police.

The video cameras in the store were not working that particular day. Eye witnesses differed on their view of what happened just before he was killed by police.

There were no no gun signs at that store in Las Vegas as well.

So if you carry in Costco be sure to remember concealed is concealed. Its where I made my Wally walk.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=36107&hilit=Erik+Scott" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Oldgringo »

Similar to this conundrum is the official stance of the United Methodist Church: "Therefore, every United Methodist church is officially declared a weapon-free zone."

Did I carry in the Rusk FUMC this morning? Yes, just like I carried in the Costco in The Woodlands where we went for hearing 'stuff' last week. Absent a 30.06 sign or negative statement from the Rev or Store Manager, licensed CC carry is permitted in Texas in these two structures. That said, remember that concealed is concealed.

BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

I am sadden to learn that one of my favorite store does not support our right to carry.
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

philip964 wrote:They used this language on their website to have a Costco member Erik Scott killed by the Las Vegas police after he brought his legal concealed weapon into the their store and he inadvertently exposed it while bending down.

The store employee advised him verbally that guns were not allowed, but never asked him to leave. He then called the police.

Erik was a West Point Graduate with a MBA from Duke, a former Captain in the Army, and he was shopping with his girlfriend when he was killed by police.

The video cameras in the store were not working that particular day. Eye witnesses differed on their view of what happened just before he was killed by police.

So if you carry in Costco be sure to remember concealed is concealed. Its where I made my Wally walk.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=36107&hilit=Erik+Scott" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just be aware that was in a different state with different laws. IDK what or how their laws apply in this situation. From the little I know, I believe the store should have been culpable in that case and the officers guilty, but the state didn't see it that way. Probably, maybe, hopefully, they had more evidence than we have here.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

BCGlocker wrote:I am sadden to learn that one of my favorite store does not support our right to carry.
They don't care enough to post a legally-binding "no guns" sign. Although it saddens me as well, I will continue to carry there while shopping until/unless they post 30.06 signs. Then I'm out and I'll switch to Sam's Club.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

rogersinsel

Post by rogersinsel »

This is an interesting question. I suspect that an establishment that has a membership requirement can also skirt 30.06 if they so choose. If a self defense situation should arise most likely you'll be able to legally defend yourself, but with the impending cancellation of your membership the real problems begin. Where will you get your 5lb box of Captain Crunch now...?

philip964

Post by philip964 »

C-dub wrote:
philip964 wrote:They used this language on their website to have a Costco member Erik Scott killed by the Las Vegas police after he brought his legal concealed weapon into the their store and he inadvertently exposed it while bending down.

Just be aware that was in a different state with different laws. IDK what or how their laws apply in this situation. From the little I know, I believe the store should have been culpable in that case and the officers guilty, but the state didn't see it that way. Probably, maybe, hopefully, they had more evidence than we have here.
Yes, Nevada's laws are different. Nevada is an open carry state for example.

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

Costco is a membership store. The no gun policy is explained in the membership terms. Legally speaking, you're signing an agreement to abide by those terms, including the no-gun policy. On the other hand, there is no 30.06 sign. No 30.06 means I can do what I feel is necessary. If that means I lose my membership if I have to defend the life of myself or my family, so be it.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”