Let's talk knives.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Let's talk knives.

Post by Bitter Clinger »

ZT seems to have the best rep as a combat folder (if there is such a thing) but they are definitely pricey and not sure worth the premium? Hard to really get comparative specs / data. Seeing what fits your hand & wallet best is like the process of selecting a handgun...

Kershaw seems to be the best value and reasonable quality folder. I have more than one and really like them.

Spyderco is the thinnest / lightest and also have a great rep (and priced) like ZT.

I have a Black Rain folder I like to carry to the range, it contains both front sight & a shell extractor tools:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

carlson1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by carlson1 »

I carried a Kershaw every once and a while. I was not much a knife guy. I can't find the thread, but I do know it was another Moderator that said if I would carry knife all the time I would find it more useful in most situations.

So I tried to be more consistent and then I bought this Benchmade HK 14850 Epidemic double-action out-the-front switchblade from another Forum member several months ago and I have not had one day that I have not carried it. I have learned that a knife makes your life a little easier. I can't believe it took me sooooo long to catch on to this.

Just yesterday while in East Texas visiting my mom I had to use my knife at her house, Wal Mart, and again at the gas station just for simple things, but would have been difficult without a knife.

Jason K
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jason K »

C-dub wrote:
Jason K wrote:
C-dub wrote:
Captain Matt wrote:
C-dub wrote:A little Kershaw Shuffle, with me all the time.
That's a nice utility knife, especially with the bottle opener, but I wouldn't recommend it as a self defense knife. On the other hand, I don't really like folders as self defense knifes after doing some practical HTH training.

My EDC is a Spyderco SALT I for reasons treadlightly will understand, but it's a tool first and foremost.
Someone here recommended it and I've been toying with the idea of getting a K-Bar TDI like this.
[ Image ]
I have the regular TDI....great knife for pocket & belt carry. Never cared for the tanto point on any knife, though...

[ Image ]
How does it feel in your hand? I keep looking to see if I can spot one in a store somewhere, but to no avail. I am partial to the tantos and also like serrated blades.
It feels great in the hand....most ergonomic knife I've ever used. If you need a small fixed-blade, it's the best of the lot, IMHO.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

carlson1 wrote:I carried a Kershaw every once and a while. I was not much a knife guy. I can't find the thread, but I do know it was another Moderator that said if I would carry knife all the time I would find it more useful in most situations.

So I tried to be more consistent and then I bought this Benchmade HK 14850 Epidemic double-action out-the-front switchblade from another Forum member several months ago and I have not had one day that I have not carried it. I have learned that a knife makes your life a little easier. I can't believe it took me sooooo long to catch on to this.

Just yesterday while in East Texas visiting my mom I had to use my knife at her house, Wal Mart, and again at the gas station just for simple things, but would have been difficult without a knife.
I have been considering an automatic knife. Since I am left-handed my choices are limited. It seems that the Epidemic could equally be operated by either hand. Do you prefer an OTF over the standard button-on-the-side mechanism?
NRA Endowment Member

carlson1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by carlson1 »

WildBill wrote:
carlson1 wrote:I carried a Kershaw every once and a while. I was not much a knife guy. I can't find the thread, but I do know it was another Moderator that said if I would carry knife all the time I would find it more useful in most situations.

I have been considering an automatic knife. Since I am left-handed my choices are limited. It seems that the Epidemic could equally be operated by either hand. Do you prefer an OTF over the standard button-on-the-side mechanism?
WildBill like I said I didn't start carrying one until I bought the Kershaw and I called in a flipper. Not for sure you call it, but it could be operated with your fore finger. The Kershaw's blade was very steady. The OTF has a little play in it. My brother has a Benchmade switchblade that comes out like a folder and it is much more steady. I hope that helps.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

carlson1 wrote:
WildBill wrote:

WildBill like I said I didn't start carrying one until I bought the Kershaw and I called in a flipper. Not for sure you call it, but it could be operated with your fore finger. The Kershaw's blade was very steady. The OTF has a little play in it. My brother has a Benchmade switchblade that comes out like a folder and it is much more steady. I hope that helps.
Carl - I have a Kershaw "flipper", but it's not an automatic. The handle seems too flat and is not comfortable to hold.

It seems like getting the auto converted you to a part-time knife carry to full-time.
NRA Endowment Member

Chityworker
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Chityworker »

I've been through alot of knives.Dont waste your time go CKRT M-21. Lifetime warranty,rapid frim the pocket deployment.CKRT has excellent customer service and honors the warranty. Also I'll mention the Cold Steel Espada ,monster 5 1/2 " folding rapid deployment behemoth.

karder

Post by karder »

I really like Grayman knives. I have a couple but I have been carrying the Dinka for awhile now. I want the Dinka VAR but if I remember right, the double edge will get me in trouble in Texas. I hate that law.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 2

Post by treadlightly »

My EDC is a Spyderco SALT I for reasons treadlightly will understand, but it's a tool first and foremost.
I believe I probably do understand, Cap'n, and Spyderco makes nice knives. There is also some philosophical overlap between defensive carry and sailing.

The first law of the sea is never abandon a vessel in distress. The prime reason most folks carry, as far as I see, is out of concern for family and loved ones.

Not a big difference.

Fair winds!

nyj

Post by nyj »

So many good knives out there. Buying them gets addicting.

I'm a huge fan of Zero Tolerance. Best bang for the buck. Rock solid. Just make sure to try them out in person or look at youtube videos before you buy -- some of the models are grossly large for EDC.

If you want a really nice knife without breaking the bank, the Cold Steel Code 4 is phenomenal. A true bargain at 50 bucks, and IMO, just as good as a $100+ benchmade.

Check out eBay and bladeforums classifieds for the best deals.

My newest EDC is a ProTech TR4 auto Image

grim-bob

Post by grim-bob »

Benchmade 9170

I've carried a bunch of different brands but several years ago I settled in on my Benchmades for EDC. They are solid and I've never had issues with them. Hold an edge well and deploy instinctively and quickly. All are pocket clip single handed versions. I use my knife all day long for little tasks. The do everything from opening letters to cleaning game.

For light weight carry (dress slacks) or when pockets are full:
http://www.benchmade.com/products/555HG

For every other day (most days):
http://www.benchmade.com/products/9170

I used to carry an original Stryker for my everyday knife. While a great knife that I carried for over 10 years it wasn't an auto and once they were legalized became the red-headed step child. I was hesitant going to a slightly heavier knife in the 9170 but after about a week I never looked back. There is definitely something about the heft of the knife that just feels right. And the weight really isn't noticeable.
Josh

Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

nyj

Post by nyj »

WildBill wrote:
carlson1 wrote:
WildBill wrote:

Carl - I have a Kershaw "flipper", but it's not an automatic. The handle seems too flat and is not comfortable to hold.

It seems like getting the auto converted you to a part-time knife carry to full-time.

Didn't see this post earlier, but Protech makes left hand specific autos. Made in USA and the quality is superb.

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

I have a nice Benchmade half serrated Tanto blade knife (actually 3 or 4 variations of same) that I carry in case I need to be menacing. For day to day knife usage I have a Case medium Stockman (a few different variations identical except for the scales) that I carry for when I want a really good knife with the bonus of made in the USA.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

nyj wrote:
WildBill wrote:
carlson1 wrote:
WildBill wrote:

Didn't see this post earlier, but Protech makes left hand specific autos. Made in USA and the quality is superb.
Thanks for the tip. They seem to make only one left-handed model [4 variations]. I can't find one in stock, but have been put on a "waiting list". :thumbs2:
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Off-Topic”