Military Hummers for sale near kerrville?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Military Hummers for sale near kerrville?

Post by MeMelYup »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
jmorris wrote:Well, does look like a Hummer but that's not a cannon, it's a M40 106mm Recoilless Rifle. By the late 1970s I think they'd all been transferred to the Nation Guard so I'd be surprised if an M40 106mm was ever actually mounted on a Hummer. The .50 cal is a spotting rifle. If the .50 round hits, yank the lanyard.
Beat me to it. I was just going to say it was a recoilless rifle.

I remember when the Hummer H1 first became commercially available. I believe that Arnold Schwarzenegger bought the first one.
They had a solid axel rear unlike the military hummer, which is an independent axel into a gear reduction box at the wheel.

Topic author
Charlies.Contingency
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

MeMelYup wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
jmorris wrote:Well, does look like a Hummer but that's not a cannon, it's a M40 106mm Recoilless Rifle. By the late 1970s I think they'd all been transferred to the Nation Guard so I'd be surprised if an M40 106mm was ever actually mounted on a Hummer. The .50 cal is a spotting rifle. If the .50 round hits, yank the lanyard.

I remember when the Hummer H1 first became commercially available. I believe that Arnold Schwarzenegger bought the first one.
They had a solid axel rear unlike the military hummer, which is an independent axel into a gear reduction box at the wheel.
I guess I never noticed that, but those babies are all way out of my budget. What did the H1's have underneath it? The newer 14bolt, right? (Great rear end IMO, I'm rocking 4.56/1 on a 1 ton Detroit.)

I thought the H1's were set up the same as far as drive train went, with full independent suspension and AWD, CTIS, and the whole works. I've seen one, and that's the way I thought it was set up.
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

Dadtodabone
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dadtodabone »

Charlies.Contingency wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

I guess I never noticed that, but those babies are all way out of my budget. What did the H1's have underneath it? The newer 14bolt, right? (Great rear end IMO, I'm rocking 4.56/1 on a 1 ton Detroit.)

I thought the H1's were set up the same as far as drive train went, with full independent suspension and AWD, CTIS, and the whole works. I've seen one, and that's the way I thought it was set up.
You're right Charlie, the Hummer H1 shared common driveline parts with the HMMWV. Items like brakes, axles, frame and major body panels (hood, tailgate and quarter panels) were shared between the HMMWV and Hummer H1. All H1s and HMMWVs were produced on the same assembly line. The civilian H1s were painted and finished in a separate building. This allowed for finish and power package upgrades that couldn't be accommodated on the joint line.
The H2 was built on a heavily modified and combined GM2500/1500 series truck frames. They have the tube/solid rear axle with internal half shafts and differential.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

Topic author
Charlies.Contingency
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

Dadtodabone wrote:
Charlies.Contingency wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

You're right Charlie, the Hummer H1 shared common driveline parts with the HMMWV. Items like brakes, axles, frame and major body panels (hood, tailgate and quarter panels) were shared between the HMMWV and Hummer H1. All H1s and HMMWVs were produced on the same assembly line. The civilian H1s were painted and finished in a separate building. This allowed for finish and power package upgrades that couldn't be accommodated on the joint line.
The H2 was built on a heavily modified and combined GM2500/1500 series truck frames. They have the tube/solid rear axle with internal half shafts and differential.
That's more than I knew. I figured as much, but I didn't know they were made together with the HMMWVs.

The H1's should have had a full floating rear axle, while the H2's should have had a semi-floating axle. If I do recall, the H2's were based off of a k1500 chassis and upgraded.

I researched more into it, and this is what "Wiki" says:
The H2 was built under contract by AM General at a specially constructed plant in Mishawaka, Indiana, USA. The H2's final frame assembly is made up of 3 sections: The front uses a modified GM 2500-Series utility frame, the midsection is all new and is completely boxed, and the rear section uses a modified GM 1500-Series frame which is upgraded for the 8,600 pounds (3,900 kg) gross vehicle weight.
Looks like the H2 is half heavy duty, half light duty! If they really wanted a real truck, they should've graduated from that small block V8 and thrown in a big block chevy or a duramax for some real power delivery to the ground. Granted the Detroit peaked out at 195hp and 430lbs of torque, it was still better then the small block of the time that pushed out 255hp and 330lbs. During the H2's start, the small block of the time, the 6.0L v8 pushed out only 300hp and 360lbs, compared to the LB7 duramaxs' 300hp and 520lbs or the the 8.1L BBC's 340hp and 455lbs. The power platform from the h1 to the h2 witnessed a gain of only 105hp with a loss of 70lbs of torque. When it comes to talking about a vehicle with a GVWR of over 8500lbs, that small of an engine spells terrible fuel mileage. With that engine, hummers pushed out 12mpg (14hwy 10city) with the small black chevy, while chevy truck's of the same weight class and drive train with a duramax engine were able to average 18mpg (20hwy 16city) {reported stock LB7. Due to weight rating, GM does not off official mpg.}

Bottom line, boo GM for not putting a diesel in the suburbans and hummers. At least the suburbans were able to get the 6.5L Detroit, 7.4L (454cid), and/or the 8.1L (496cid). Bust burban platform IMO was the duraburb of course. ;-)

Where am I at? I think I got carried away.
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

DocV

Post by DocV »

:headscratch :confused5

screaminz2002

Post by screaminz2002 »

Miss those guys.. Torn zippers on the windows during the German winters.. Disconnecting the wire to the heater valve because someone outgrew his rank.. Removing the rubber grommets that kept the stainless fuel lines from beating on the frame deafening everyone inside.. The one bolt that held the front hubs on that came with no loctite.. Can't really say they were gutless compared to the rest of the fleet. The 5 ton was probably the quickest on the road although throw a hemmtt fuel truck behind the m984 wrecker and you can hit well over 80! I miss my wrecker..

Return to “Off-Topic”