Word use that drives you up the wall!

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

fickman
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Word use that drives you up the wall!

Post by fickman »

Skiprr wrote:pistol pistol Pistol pistol
Meanie. (Albeit an extremely informative meanie.)

:biggrinjester:
Native Texian

RedTop
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RedTop »

Without reading every post....Here are some things said that just get under my skin....

"Disturbing"...I/You may find this disturbing to watch.....really? does that person need to seek help afterwards?
"Difficult"...that was difficult to see.....Same as above but with this.....how hard is it to just sit and watch something?
"painful"...that was painful to hear.....If it was why did you finish it?

So many catch phrases now...drama queens I swear...

Topic author
Dadtodabone
Posts in topic: 41

Post by Dadtodabone »

When quoting the Declaration of Independence, the use of "Inalienable" instead of "Unalienable". There are millions of text books out there that are incorrect in this particular.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

ELB
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ELB »

I mentioned the confusion between "discreet" and "discrete" about 47 pages ago, but I keep seeing it all over the place and it just :mad5 me.
USAF 1982-2005

ELB
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ELB »

AndyC wrote:
ELB wrote:I mentioned the confusion between "discreet" and "discrete" about 47 pages ago, but I keep seeing it all over the place and it just :mad5 me.
You just have to use your discretion ;-)
:blowup
USAF 1982-2005

Magnawing
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Magnawing »

Orientate...you can orient something or you can determine it's orientation....orientate is NOT a word. I've had this discussion with several teachers throughout my childrens' school careers.

I also get irked by their, there and they're. And don't get me started on accept vs. except and to, too, two. One of my biggest peeves is people who use "a" before words beginning with a vowel....you ate AN apple, not A apple.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

After 48 pages of word use that drives us up a wall, I finally realized something that drives me up the wall.

"We had to post that 30.06 sign to protect our employees."
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

3dfxMM
Posts in topic: 6

Post by 3dfxMM »

Magnawing wrote:Orientate...you can orient something or you can determine it's orientation....orientate is NOT a word. I've had this discussion with several teachers throughout my childrens' school careers.
I only looked at online versions, but every dictionary that I could find disagrees with you on this one.

Magnawing

Post by Magnawing »

3dfxMM wrote:
Magnawing wrote:Orientate...you can orient something or you can determine it's orientation....orientate is NOT a word. I've had this discussion with several teachers throughout my childrens' school careers.
I only looked at online versions, but every dictionary that I could find disagrees with you on this one.
If you could find a dictionary that was 25+ years old, you would most likely find that "orientate" did not exist in the American English language until it became used so frequently (albeit incorrectly) that it has become accepted as a real word and included into dictionaries. Kind of like internet, and many other "words" that have weaseled their way into our daily language. Although, you will never hear me utter the word "orientate" unless it is to complain about people saying "orientate" when that actually mean "orient". I believe this came into general usage on college campuses when students would have to attend freshman "orientation"...they had to get "orientated" to the campus and college life. Maybe the first class should have been Grammar and the English Language?

Abraham
Posts in topic: 148

Post by Abraham »

And for a simple one: Twicet/Oncet

Or, Filem for film, arrrgggghhhh!

Orientate is beloved by UKers....

LDB415
Posts in topic: 7

Post by LDB415 »

If orientate is a word it shouldn't be. I also don't like when people have idears about something.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Magnawing wrote:
3dfxMM wrote:
If you could find a dictionary that was 25+ years old, you would most likely find that "orientate" did not exist in the American English language until it became used so frequently (albeit incorrectly) that it has become accepted as a real word and included into dictionaries. Kind of like internet, and many other "words" that have weaseled their way into our daily language.
I'm one of those geeks who owns a hard-copy, 16-volume set of the 1978 Oxford English Dictionary. "Orientate" appears on page 200 of volume VII; first recorded use 1849 in Ecclesiologist IX; other usage examples from 1850, 1866, 1877, 1880, 1883, 1884, and 1886.

That said, I agree it's an ugly word, and one that I never use. In a similar vein I will administer a program, but choose not to administrate it.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine »

fickman wrote:Use any synonym, euphemism, or colloquialism that you want and I'll go right along. Say "pistol" and I'll look like I just ate a lemon.
How about pistil? And stamen. :evil2:
"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty."
III

Return to “Off-Topic”