Situation is causing me to rethink carrying capacity

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Situation is causing me to rethink carrying capacity

Post by KD5NRH »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Is 40 poorly placed rounds of 9mm going to make up for 5 well placed rounds of .357?
Maybe they could remake this in .44Mag:

RJGold
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RJGold »

I think this article was posted in another thread...

http://www.looserounds.com/2014/09/21/f ... -division/

I carry and shoot 9mm (XDm Compact) and typically carry a 13 round mag in my pistol plus a 13 round spare mag. I carry more if I'm traveling and will be away from home for a while. I carry 2 19 round mags in my truck when traveling and also carry a couple of boxes of ammo (but the boxes are just in case I get a chance to shoot while traveling).

One thing I noted from the article is that even trained LEOs will miss 70 to 80 percent of their shots in high stress situations (read that real life engagements). That could be seen as an argument for high capacity magazines.

The article also suggests that "stopping power" is a myth. The real key to stoping a threat is to get a bullet into a vital organ (including the head). Granted the head is very low percentage so center mast is always best.

Just thought I'd recycle the article as I thought it applied here.
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

Topic author
Scott

Post by Scott »

mr1337 wrote: Did you call the cops?
Absolutely and descriptions were provided.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

mr1337 wrote:Also a note about having a rifle. If you have time to go get a rifle, chances are you're able to exit the situation safely and you're able to get to a safe place. Unless, of course, you're law enforcement. For the most of us, our handgun is what we've got, and whatever capacity we bring with us is what we'll have when stuff hits the fan.
If I'm away from my house, this would be true. However, if I'm sitting at my dining room table, as I am at this very moment, and someone breaks in, I have my Glock on my hip and would have to fight my way to my rifle. Based on the location of other family members in the house, I will be fighting my way to my rifle if the battle lasts that long.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

mr1337 wrote:Also a note about having a rifle. If you have time to go get a rifle, chances are you're able to exit the situation safely and you're able to get to a safe place. Unless, of course, you're law enforcement.
Or have someone with you who might not be able to leave as easily, due to initial position, physical capability, etc.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I don't recall all the precise details, but a few years back, a female Houston detective was car jacked or somehow ended up with two thugs in her car.

She had a high capacity pistol in her purse.

She was able to access and immediately shot a bunch of rounds into both thugs.

If I remember correctly, she killed one and other's permanently in a wheelchair.

Having a high capacity pistol is one of reasons she stated she prevailed as it took a lot of bullets to win.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

ghostrider wrote:
Who makes the 31 rounder? All I have is the 22 round mags.
not Glock :-)

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/-31-Roun ... -p2297.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://glockparts.com/detail.aspx?prod=156645&manf=148" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/quote

Glock does make one of the sticks for a .40.

CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

Jumping Frog wrote:Let's not forget Travis Dean Neel who saved the life of Harris County Deputy Sheriff Flores. Flores was attacked by four men and shot five times. Neel fired 39 shots using 3 fifteen round magazines to drive off the attackers. Most of that was suppressive fire.

Would he have preferred a rifle? Sure. But he used the tools he brought to the party.

Is a defensive gun use with 39 shots fired unusual? Of course .... But it is not unheard of.

Carrying, whether 5 rounds or 50 rounds, is not about living in fear. It is also not about probabilities, as none of us are likely to require armed defense. It is simple prudence and preparedness, no different from a kitchen fire extinguisher or stocking hurricane supplies. Where we draw the line at number of rounds is entirely individual. Personally, I prefer erring towards the higher end of the range.
Thank you for sharing about this hero. I had never heard of him before. Do you have a good link where I can read more on this story? I couldn't find much.
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

CHLLady wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:....Flores was attacked by four men and shot five times.
Thank you for sharing about this hero. I had never heard of him before. Do you have a good link where I can read more on this story? I couldn't find much.
I originally read the account in Robert Waters' book, The Best Defense: True Stories of Intended Victims Who Defended Themselves with a Firearm.

Amazon's preview feature has the story. Read chapter two. They also list it as a used book for $0.21 plus $3.99 shipping.

Just looking at the story again as part of finding the link, I misremembered two details. Harris County Deputy Sheriff Frank Flores was attacked by 3 men, not 4, and he was shot 4 times, not 5. He was shot in the back, chest, right shoulder, and left wrist. He had worn a vest that day and it saved his life.

Mr. Neel did shoot 39 shots. Later, he testified to the United States Congress why ordinary citizens do have legitimate need for "high capacity" (aka normal capacity) magazines.

Here is Mr. Neel's obituary.

(The Amazon link above is to smile.amazon.com. I have all my Amazon purchases made through smile.amazon.com where every purchase has a percentage donated to the NRA Civil Rights Fund. I encourage all to do the same.)
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”