Guy catches .50 BMG ricochet to the head: Video Inside

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

KBCraig wrote:
Liberty wrote:Am I the only one that percieves the speed of the bullet at about the speed of a fastball thrown by a decent minor league player.
Remember, that is a ricochet... you can hear the whine as it tumbles through the air, much more slowly than it went down range.

And for the record, I don't volunteer to have a minor league pitcher chunk 750 grains of bronze at my head at 90+mph.
you could see it bounce one more time before it hit the guy. While I don't believe that I would want to get hit by it .. At 750grs is less than 2 oz is still less energy than a baseball at the same speed
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by KBCraig »

Liberty wrote:While I don't believe that I would want to get hit by it .. At 750grs is less than 2 oz is still less energy than a baseball at the same speed
Yup, 750 grains ~1.7 oz., so at 90mph (132fps), it would have 29 ft.-lbs. energy. A five ounce baseball at the same velocity would have 85 ft.-lbs. energy.

Either would raise a good knot on your noggin.

Kevin

HankB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by HankB »

Looked at the video again . . .

That's supposedly a .50 . . . tell me, even with a muzzle brake, do .50's have that little recoil?

Then the ricochet looks like it hits the dirt about 10 or 15 feet in front of the shooter, before bouncing up and hitting his earmuffs . . .

Might be interesting for someone with the capability of going frame-by-frame to time things out . . . from the shot to the "clang" . . . then the impact of the returning round on the ground, to the impact on the muffs . . . should allow for computation of target distance and velocity of the ricochet. (Knowing the times and the initial MV, the rest is simple math, with only a touch of algebra . . .)
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

tex45acp
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tex45acp »

Lets talk about ricochet gentlemen!!!

About 5 year ago, I was shooting my semi-auto .22, a Browning Buckmark Target, at 1/2" thick steel disks, 6" in diameter at 50 yards. They were hanging from the frame by chains and designed to push back when struck and divert the round into the ground. I had been shooting them for a while and then something happened. A shot to the center of one of the disks ricocheted back at me and struck me in the right pectoral. I felt the impact that felt like someone had taken a rubberband, held it against my chest and popped me. I really started to sheke when I opened my shirt and saw the spot it hit and there was blood oozing out. I looked again and found a piece of lead embedded just under the skin, took my pocket knife and dug it out. I left the range and went to the local Dr. who x-rayed me and found no other bullet fragments. I went back to the range to look at the disk and found a dent in the plate made from a large caliber bullet, with the bullet spash slightly larger than the .22 split by the dent. In other words the bullet was split and the half going into the dent obviously followed the curve sending it back to me. Talk about my guardian angel working overtime.....

I believe what I saw on that film could happen, if it was staged, those guys need to have jobs in the movie industries FX departments.

tex
Texas.....Nuff Said!!!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”