Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
govnor
Posts in topic: 8

Another reason to be armed to the teeth 24/7

Post by govnor »

Teens in rape allegedly forced mom, son to have sex

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4948612.html

Stuff like this is unreal. This reminds me of the time that the two brothers forced their way into a suburban home where some folks were having a party and raped the women, then made the friends all have sex with each other. Including homosexual stuff. Then they took them out to a field and shot them in their heads. One survived to tell the tale. One of the guys was going to ask his girlfriend to marry him that night. The police found the ring amongst the stolen goods.

The world is becoming more evil. Believe it.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because hard men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

NRA member!

JKDubb
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JKDubb »

This is unbelieveable, I read the whole story with my jaw on the floor. I say give em' LIFE!
Don't get caught acting stupid in the no stupid zone

76 days from packet to plastic!

Topic author
govnor

Post by govnor »

JKDubb wrote:This is unbelieveable, I read the whole story with my jaw on the floor. I say give em' LIFE!
I say give 'em the chair!
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because hard men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

NRA member!

Mithras61
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Mithras61 »

The story has been moved to here:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hea ... 48612.html

As to the incident,
Authorities allege ... a group of about 10 masked suspects ... forced their way into the woman's apartment in a crime-ridden housing project the night of June 18.

According to the police report, a man knocked on the woman's door at about 9 p.m. and told her he had a flat tire. The mother and son, whom police have not identified, went outside and were ambushed by a group of gun-wielding suspects.

The victims told police they were forced back into their home and beaten ...
perhaps people shouldn't be going outside to help strangers in crime-ridden neighborhoods. Some simple precautionary steps would have prevented this from happening. Speak to the perps through the door (don't open it to strangers). Offer to call a tow truck (don't go outside to help them out) or the police or the motorist assistance people (I'm pretty sure FL has such a thing).

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not blaming the victims here. I'm suggesting some additional steps that they (and we) can take to avoid being assaulted by gangs of thugs. Even if these two had handguns on them, it's unlikely they could have fought off a gang of ten BGs unless they subscribe to the Burt Gummer school of self defense...

razoraggie

Post by razoraggie »

Give 'em life in the chair

Topic author
govnor

Post by govnor »

perhaps people shouldn't be going outside to help strangers in crime-ridden neighborhoods. Some simple precautionary steps would have prevented this from happening. Speak to the perps through the door (don't open it to strangers). Offer to call a tow truck (don't go outside to help them out) or the police or the motorist assistance people (I'm pretty sure FL has such a thing).
Well, I agree of course, but I don't help anybody unless it's friends or family. I don't know if you've ever lived in a poor neighborhood, but people in those places don't mind asking people for help. Most of the time that's really what they want. Now if you give them a buck, I'm sure it goes to buy some beer or something. In general, other poor people are willing to help if they can since they've been in some kind of bind themselves before. I know because I've lived in these places and have seen it all. People pretty much will walk up to your house and ask for stuff all the time!

Now I live in an upper middle class neighborhood. Believe me, no one would help you around here, but then again they don't need anyone to help them either. If my car breaks down, I have enough money to call a tow truck, not to mention a cell phone to do it with. People in the ghetto don't have two cents to rub together most of the time. They certainly would lose their car if it was towed.

NRA member!

nuparadigm

Post by nuparadigm »

Anyone who believes that real, personal evil cannot act through humans should be compelled to memorize this story.
The last train out of any station will not be filled with nice people.

Remember Newton and Azrak.

Mithras61

Post by Mithras61 »

govnor wrote: Well, I agree of course, but I don't help anybody unless it's friends or family. I don't know if you've ever lived in a poor neighborhood, but people in those places don't mind asking people for help. Most of the time that's really what they want. Now if you give them a buck, I'm sure it goes to buy some beer or something. In general, other poor people are willing to help if they can since they've been in some kind of bind themselves before. I know because I've lived in these places and have seen it all. People pretty much will walk up to your house and ask for stuff all the time!

Now I live in an upper middle class neighborhood. Believe me, no one would help you around here, but then again they don't need anyone to help them either. If my car breaks down, I have enough money to call a tow truck, not to mention a cell phone to do it with. People in the ghetto don't have two cents to rub together most of the time. They certainly would lose their car if it was towed.
Actually, I've lived there as well. The thing is, though, that it was 9pm, it was for a flat tire, and it was young guys asking a woman for help.

One of the first rules I learned from living in those conditions is "don't open the door to unexpected people at night in crime ridden neighborhoods."

Secondly, what can a woman do outside for a couple of young guys for a flat tire that they can't do themselves?

Thirdly, why would young guys go to a woman for assistance changing a flat tire?

Finally, unless it was blocking a street, why would a tow truck or motorist assistance program tow their vehicle? The only reason is if it was completely disabled. A flat tire doesn't require a tow, but a tow truck driver will surely help you change a tire. So would the motorist assistance program folks. They also would have access to services that a poor person on a bad neighborhood would be unlikely to have access to.

It all combines to be too fishy of a situation and her radar should have been flashing red. If she had listened to her instincts (I'm sure she suspected something, but over-rode the alarms in her head) and had been following these simple rules, it would have saved her quite a bit of pain & suffering.

Topic author
govnor

Post by govnor »

It all combines to be too fishy of a situation and her radar should have been flashing red. If she had listened to her instincts (I'm sure she suspected something, but over-rode the alarms in her head) and had been following these simple rules, it would have saved her quite a bit of pain & suffering.
Bingo. The problem is that she might have felt bad if she didn't help someone. Maybe she'd been in the same situation. I'm with you 100% though. It IS a fishy situation. I don't even answer the door anyway unless I can see who it is on the camera and it's someone I know.

NRA member!

Topic author
govnor

Post by govnor »

nuparadigm wrote:Anyone who believes that real, personal evil cannot act through humans should be compelled to memorize this story.
No kidding. This one has haunted me. That's why I posted it. Something like this should never happen, but it is has. I doubt most people can grasp how bad this is and what the state of the world is becoming (or they will deny it and put their head back in the sand). It makes me physically sick to even think about something like this.

NRA member!

JRG

Post by JRG »

This reinforces my belief to be armed 24/7 and to be alert at all times also.

Tonight the wife and I took our nearly 6 year old granddaughter to the movies to see "Firedogs" (a good heart warming movie by the way). Upon exiting the parking lot in my truck, a woman got our of her truck and started waving to me to come over. I looked and saw other people in the truck. My suspicions got the better of my and I kept driving. The wife did not notice her.

Now, if I had been alone, I might have driven over to see what she needed. But with my wife and granddaughter in the truck, there was no way I was going to expose them to an unknown situation.

Joe

G.C.Montgomery

Re: Another reason to be armed to the teeth 24/7

Post by G.C.Montgomery »

govnor wrote:Teens in rape allegedly forced mom, son to have sex

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4948612.html

Stuff like this is unreal. This reminds me of the time that the two brothers forced their way into a suburban home where some folks were having a party and raped the women, then made the friends all have sex with each other. Including homosexual stuff. Then they took them out to a field and shot them in their heads. One survived to tell the tale. One of the guys was going to ask his girlfriend to marry him that night. The police found the ring amongst the stolen goods.

The world is becoming more evil. Believe it.
I don't know that the world is necessarily becoming more evil. And it's not that I don't think evil exists because I have witnessed it on a very personal level. Having said that, I think it's more accurate to say we hear about it a lot more often in places we might not expect it.

Growing up, I overheard some pretty horrific stories of juvenile abuse and homicide cases my father worked on during his LE career. I remember seeing a report once that read like a scene out of Silence of the Lambs. That and other things I saw and heard growing up still leave me wondering just how many times my dad changed clothes at the office or in the garage just so he didn't have to bring the stench of a crime scene into the house.

No, I don't think the world is MORE evil now than it was before. I think evil is simply something that never goes away and seeks every opportunity to influence those who will give into it. We may fight it and even defeat those who embrace it but the evil itself still exists and never truly goes away. As I see it, evil can even consume those who fight it hardest. I see this everyday in the words of men I consider to be good men but, whose thoughts turn to something just short of genocide when faced with an enemy they cannot understand or readily defeat.

Perhaps I'm the last person to speak on these things. I'm no saint and I've done more than my share of bad things and committed plenty of sins in my time. Still, the point lurking here again is that I believe good and evil exist everywhere, all the time and probably both have to exist so we may recognize each when we see them. After all, how would you know what evil is if you live in Utopia? It's late and my brain cells shouldn't be stringing together words like this or engaging in deeper thought than necessary to deam so I'm signing off.

Later
When you take the time out of your day to beat someone, it has a much longer lasting effect on their demeanor than simply shooting or tazing them.

G. C. Montgomery, Jr.

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

Mithras61 wrote:Even if these two had handguns on them, it's unlikely they could have fought off a gang of ten BGs unless they subscribe to the Burt Gummer school of self defense...
Given the outcome, I think I'd prefer taking my chances. Under the described circumstances I'd most likely have answered the door with an extra gun in hand. (in addition to my carry - it's just easier to pick up another than to have to re-holster after the 99.99% of door-knocks that aren't BGs)

My biggest worry at the outset would be getting myself out of the path of SWMBO's 'fire support,' (either 12ga magnum buck or .243, assuming she remembers the advice to dump the 1911 and grab a long gun ASAP) and back inside the door so we can hold them at that chokepoint. After that, well, it just depends on the effects of the initial resistance.

If nothing else, a couple of wounded BGs caught at the hospital might squeal on the rest and prevent it happening to someone else later. OTOH, with that many of them, I'd bet strongly that they were the epitome of the "not expecting any real resistance" mindset, and might well have scattered at the first outbound shot.

Topic author
govnor

Post by govnor »

JRG wrote:This reinforces my belief to be armed 24/7 and to be alert at all times also.

Tonight the wife and I took our nearly 6 year old granddaughter to the movies to see "Firedogs" (a good heart warming movie by the way). Upon exiting the parking lot in my truck, a woman got our of her truck and started waving to me to come over. I looked and saw other people in the truck. My suspicions got the better of my and I kept driving. The wife did not notice her.

Now, if I had been alone, I might have driven over to see what she needed. But with my wife and granddaughter in the truck, there was no way I was going to expose them to an unknown situation.

Joe
Good move. Personally, even when I'm alone I probably wouldn't stop and help anyone. I have done it before under special circumstances. One time I stopped to help a little old lady who's car had broken down in Shreveport. I could see that she was the only one standing there, however, and it was about 12:30pm on a Sunday...just after church and she was dressed in church clothes.

I do think it depends on the situation. If I see capable people broken down or with a flat...I might call 911 or something to inform them, but I would never stop to help. It's a shame that it has to be that way, but that's the way it is. I knew a guy once that pulled over to help a couple of guys with a flat tire. They stabbed him and robbed him. Luckily he lived.

NRA member!

Topic author
govnor

Post by govnor »

Growing up, I overheard some pretty horrific stories of juvenile abuse and homicide cases my father worked on during his LE career. I remember seeing a report once that read like a scene out of Silence of the Lambs. That and other things I saw and heard growing up still leave me wondering just how many times my dad changed clothes at the office or in the garage just so he didn't have to bring the stench of a crime scene into the house.
Maybe it is that we just hear more about this stuff these days. Or maybe it's America itself that is becoming more evil. Think about it. 50 years ago, you could leave your doors unlocked, your children could safely walk down the street. Yes, bad things did happen, but not like they do now. Maybe it's because people are more evil or maybe there are just more people. Either way, it seems to be worse today than it was back then. At least here in America.

There also used to be a code of common decency. This code doesn't exist like it once did. The fact that I have to hear rap music booming into my house from my neighbors is just one aspect of that. No consideration for those around them, whatsoever. I also went through this at another house with Tejano music blasting through my house at all hours. It used to be that you could go ask your neighbor to please turn it down and they would. In my case, they threatened to kill me instead. I was advised that if I didn't like it then I could move.

I have lost faith in humanity and I think they are more evil. I think it's because they are allowed to get away with it. Maybe there is no *more* evil in the world, but maybe it's allowed to rear it's ugly head more often. When a rapist spends a couple of years behind bars then so what? What's the deterrent to someone that doesn't care if they go to prison or not? When you cannot trust your fellow man, then you live in a state of constant fear (or at least constant vigilance). This is what we've become and we've allowed it to happen. We did it to ourselves by not putting an end to it when we could have.

NRA member!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”