Is it safe to pocket carry?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
pcarlinjr
Posts in topic: 1

Is it safe to pocket carry?

Post by pcarlinjr »

I was told that it wasn't safe to carry in a jean pocket. I know that some people like to carry in a fanny pack. I would think that as long as the safety is on and nothing else but the gun in the pocket, you would be fine for carry.

Hope this isn't a dumb question, but would rather be safe, then well... shot or worse!!!

Keith B

Re: Is it safe to pocket carry?

Post by Keith B »

pcarlinjr wrote:I was told that it wasn't safe to carry in a jean pocket. I know that some people like to carry in a fanny pack. I would think that as long as the safety is on and nothing else but the gun in the pocket, you would be fine for carry.

Hope this isn't a dumb question, but would rather be safe, then well... shot or worse!!!
Carrying in a pocket is fine if you have a pocket holster to cover the trigger. I carry a Kahr PM9 in a Desantis Nemesis holster in my jean pocket frequently.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jim Beaux »

pcarlinjr wrote:I was told that it wasn't safe to carry in a jean pocket. I know that some people like to carry in a fanny pack. I would think that as long as the safety is on and nothing else but the gun in the pocket, you would be fine for carry.

Without a pocket holster it depends on the weapon. I often carry my LC9 or SW 638 snubby in my back jeans pocket - both are snag free, double action and have a long trigger.

I would never carry one in the pipe with a sa trigger (or a Glock ;-) ) without a proper holster.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Pocket carry is fine. Use a pocket holster (they are very inexpensive), and don't stick other things in the pocket like keys, etc.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Pocket holsters have been recommended above because bumping into a stick, or a steel rod, or anything else small enough and stiff enough to push on a trigger through the pants fabric can cause a discharge in the pocket.

A proper holster will prevent a situation where a trigger is pressed externally through the fabric by a device.

I've read of news stories and threads from various forums where people without a pocket holster learned that hard way.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Pocket carry is fine. Use a pocket holster (they are very inexpensive), and don't stick other things in the pocket like keys, etc.

:iagree:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

RPBrown wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Pocket carry is fine. Use a pocket holster (they are very inexpensive), and don't stick other things in the pocket like keys, etc.

:iagree:
:iagree: I have carried a back up in my pocket for decades and so for so good.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

And even when talking about fanny pack carry it is usually a fanny pack designed for carry that will have something covering the trigger. If not, then the same advice would apply to get a pocket holster or something to cover that trigger so that when you reach your hand in there to get it you don't inadvertently pull the trigger. The fanny packs I've had were designed for carry and I could only grab the grip to deploy it and could not get my finger into the trigger guard until after drawing it just like my other holsters.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

patterson
Posts in topic: 7

Post by patterson »

pocket carry isn't for me cuz if you find yourself in a situation where you need your firearm in a hurry you have to pull it out of your pocket still holstered then remove the holster

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

patterson wrote:pocket carry isn't for me cuz if you find yourself in a situation where you need your firearm in a hurry you have to pull it out of your pocket still holstered then remove the holster
Then you do not have the right holster. Real locket holsters will remain in the pocket when the firearm is drawn.

patterson

Post by patterson »

carlson1 wrote:
patterson wrote:pocket carry isn't for me cuz if you find yourself in a situation where you need your firearm in a hurry you have to pull it out of your pocket still holstered then remove the holster
Then you do not have the right holster. Real locket holsters will remain in the pocket when the firearm is drawn.
I don't have the right firearm either mine are considered full size

patterson

Post by patterson »

with the jeans I wear OWB is the only comfortable way for me

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 4

Post by cyphertext »

patterson wrote:
carlson1 wrote:
I don't have the right firearm either mine are considered full size
So you are commenting on something that you have no knowledge or experience with?

patterson

Post by patterson »

yes no experience with it but my comment is it is not for me the only way I feel comfortable carrying is OWB

AlaskanInTexas

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

I like pocket carry because it is a much more natural draw in certain situations (I don't have the skill yet to draw quickly from IWB, without it being a huge dramatic production).

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”