AR Was Stolen From Truck

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
sooperdooper
Posts in topic: 5

AR Was Stolen From Truck

Post by sooperdooper »

I just finished this build a couple months ago. I picked it up from local shop on Friday Aug 1 after getting the barrel tightened. I went home to wait for my wife (45min), and then headed out to meet family for dinner. I figured my sisters boyfriend would want to take a look at it so I didn't take it out. It was in a FDE Voodoo rifle bag sitting on the floorboard of my F350. We were at the restaurant for about 2 hours. When I opened my door.......a clean floorboard...everything was gone. We called the Sheriffs office and went through all that. Now we just wait and hope it pops up at a pawn shop or any other FFL. They also got my 5.11 backpack I use for work. It had my iPad, Passport, TWIC card, International immunization card, eyeglasses, etc.... We think they were trying to steal the truck and noticed the items and decided to take them instead. There's no way you can see in my windows at that time of night. Oh well, what's done is done.

Please keep your eyes open and notify local LE if you see this rifle!

Here is a picture of the rifle and the serial:

Serial: SP3707
Seekins Billet Lower
Seekins Billet iRMT-3 Upper
Seekins iRMT-3 15" Handguard
Nikon M223 Scope
Lots of other good parts

46 days MB to MB

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: AR Was Stolen From Truck

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Oh man, that just sucks! I doubt we'll see it out this way, but I'll pass a link to this thread on to my son who works in a local gunstore, so they can keep their eyes open for it. I have a tan Voodoo Tactical soft case for my DMR rifle. I bought it in that color because the interior of my SUV is tan, and I thought perhaps it might blend in better if I wanted to keep the rifle with me when I'm driving around, so it wouldn't get stolen. But something all along has made me leery of actually keeping it in my car....unless I'm taking it to the range or something....because I was worried that exactly what has happened to you might happen to me. I'm considering an AR pistol with one of those SigTac SB15 stabilizing braces to carry in a tennis racket case. I think that might be a lot less temptation to the opportunist.

BTW, I just now came across this and was about to post it when I saw your thread. If you're looking for a cheap and quick replacement basic carbine: http://www.centerfiresystems.com/ardpms-01.aspx. These are DPMS carbines, used, being returned from use by contractors in Iraq. They're only $449.99, which seems pretty cheap, even for a well used one.

Good luck with recovering your property.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
sooperdooper

Post by sooperdooper »

The Annoyed Man wrote:BTW, I just now came across this and was about to post it when I saw your thread. If you're looking for a cheap and quick replacement basic carbine: http://www.centerfiresystems.com/ardpms-01.aspx. These are DPMS carbines, used, being returned from use by contractors in Iraq. They're only $449.99, which seems pretty cheap, even for a well used one.

Good luck with recovering your property.
Thanks for sharing the post! I've been plastering this all over the web.

I went over the top in replacing it. I picked up a Patriot P308 and a Nightforce scope. Also ordered a Saker 7.62.
46 days MB to MB

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jmra »

Just curious, how did they get in the truck? I'm always looking for ways to tighten security on my vehicles. Knowing how they broke in might help me and others in protecting against the same type of theft.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
sooperdooper

Post by sooperdooper »

jmra wrote:Just curious, how did they get in the truck? I'm always looking for ways to tighten security on my vehicles. Knowing how they broke in might help me and others in protecting against the same type of theft.
Screwdriver to the keyhole. Simple as that.
46 days MB to MB

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

There is also a little tool they use on the door handle of a Ford truck that just simply opens it up. You cannot even tell it has been open other than something is missing. Ford trucks are some of the easiest to steal and one of the top trucks stolen.

After my F-250 a couple of years was almost stolen I had a ravelco system installed on my F-250.
http://www.ravelco.com/testimonials.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

sooperdooper wrote:
jmra wrote:Just curious, how did they get in the truck? I'm always looking for ways to tighten security on my vehicles. Knowing how they broke in might help me and others in protecting against the same type of theft.
Punnching the lock is simple. Litterally a 5 second job. Even an aalrm won't stop them from grabbing something and running. :banghead:

The best security for item theft is to HIDE anything vidible that would attract them, LOCK the vehicle, and TAKE the keys

Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

sooperdooper wrote:
Yep, had that happen to me. I have it on video. He made it look easier than using a key.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

sooperdooper wrote: There's no way you can see in my windows at that time of night. Oh well, what's done is done.
Not even with a flashlight? I assume that people looking for stuff to steal out of vehicles at night might have a flashlight.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Topic author
sooperdooper

Post by sooperdooper »

VMI77 wrote:
sooperdooper wrote: There's no way you can see in my windows at that time of night. Oh well, what's done is done.
Not even with a flashlight? I assume that people looking for stuff to steal out of vehicles at night might have a flashlight.
They are pretty dark, but I guess with a flashlight you could have. I was parked in a pretty busy restaurant parking lot. Using a flashlight would have been pretty obvious.

Either way, nothing I can do about it now except wait for them to get caught.
46 days MB to MB

BigBangSmallBucks

Post by BigBangSmallBucks »

sooperdooper wrote: we just wait and hope it pops up at a pawn shop or any other FFL.
Be sure to check Craigslist and texasguntrader as well.

Paul's Shield

Post by Paul's Shield »

Don't be fooled by other people's unawareness. Even if someone was using a flashlight noone is none the wiser and they just keep moving. I work in the insurance industry and you can't imagine how many people's vehicles get broken in to.

The fact is if anything is on the seat or floor of the vehicle, to them it's worth busting open even if it was nothing because they can do it so fast. Doesn't matter how dark your tint is they just need to see more than floormats to be tempted. They don't need a flashlight anymore. a small keychain LED is sufficient to see thru the darkest tint on to the floor.

Advice we give:

-need to put something in your trunk do it before you get to the parking lot.
-have a coat or scarf....don't leave it on the seat or floor...they will think you trying to cover something up. Hang it from the front seat headreast.
-the interior of your car should like the day you bought it...only floormats.
-if at a restaurant or other public parking in the evening don't use sunshades...the incremental temprature difference is minimal in comparison to a costly theft or damage.

Sometimes, some items are near impossible to cover but if you can't hide it, take it with you. If you can't take with you and your not too far from your car, maybe walk out once or twice or even chirp your car horn with your keyless remote if you have it.

these are all suggestions. Of course they only way to prevent car vandalism and theft of items in it is to take it with you or have absolutely nothing in it.
"Just put that hammer down and give it h3ll" - Jerry Reid

CainA

Post by CainA »

I'm sure you were sick when you discovered the thievery, I know I would be. I notice you live in Spring and so do I. Did this take place in Spring?

Check backpage.com too.

http://houston.backpage.com/SportsEquipForSale/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Listings for guns don't last very long on Craigslist since they're one of the many 'prohibited' items to sell there, but it won't hurt to check.

eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

There is a guy over at Texas Gun Talk that keeps track of stolen guns. He's helped several people in the past. You might want to pass on the info to him in case he runs across them. He goes by the handle Pawncop.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/stol ... earms.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TSRA Life Memeber

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

sooperdooper wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
They are pretty dark, but I guess with a flashlight you could have. I was parked in a pretty busy restaurant parking lot. Using a flashlight would have been pretty obvious
Either way, nothing I can do about it now except wait for them to get caught.
Granted, this was in Dallas, but I was once parked in a busy Olive Garden parking lot, and some thieves just broke the passenger window and robbed my vehicle. Turned out they did the same to several other cars in the parking lot as well. They didn't appear to be all that concerned about being obvious.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”