Looking for a good 40cal ccw

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Maxwell
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Looking for a good 40cal ccw

Post by Maxwell »

I carry an M&P40c and I love it, but... Seriously look at 9mm and decide how many rounds are enough. The M&Pc is a little bulky and there are some great single stack guns out there.
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Topic author
mulfjohn
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mulfjohn »

Thanks. All good advice.

Mel

Post by Mel »

I love my Kahr CM40 w/extended mag. I sometimes carry my P40 but the CM is lighter and easier to conceal.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

WinoVeritas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WinoVeritas »

Absolutely nothing wrong with the SD40VE - reliable and rather inexpensive - a bit bulky for me to CC, but can if I want to bother. Absolutely nothing wrong with Taurus either regardless of derogatory comments toward the brand - same for .40S&W - an effective round. Taurus 740 Slim (single stack) or their Millennium G2 (dbl. stack) series are nice CCW's. I have both Slims and Mil Pro (non-G2) and use both for CC. Also have M&P40C in the CC rotation. My SD40VE is my bedside HD pistol of choice.

Good luck on your hunt for the perfect (for you) CCW - doesn't make much difference what I or others think - you're the one that counts. There are so many good it's hard to go wrong regardless of what you choose.

Topic author
mulfjohn

Post by mulfjohn »

Thanks for the response. I think you are the only one that really nailed it, making it an easy choice for me. :tiphat: :hurry: :thewave

sabbethfest

Post by sabbethfest »

First time posting, but i have a sd9ve and use an IWB holster with no probs. granted i'm 6'2" and about 220 so not sure if that helps me in comfortability of the gun. Shoots great and easy to clean. Hard options to beat for a $300 gun.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Ah the mythical "knock down" factor.

If you must have a .40, there are many great choices, almost all of them available as 9mm variants. I would find whatever is comfortable, affordable, and functional for you. You may have to play around with a few different types and sizes, but Glock, SA, and S&W (and recently Walther) all make fantastic double stack polymers that I would consider first.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

ralewis

Post by ralewis »

I've front pocket carried a Kahr PM40 for several years. Works great.

Blindref757

Post by Blindref757 »

My experience over the past 4 years is that the smaller the frame, the more likely I am to carry. I too am a teacher and cannot carry at work, but I also have a fairly significant need to carry after I leave school. So for me, a single stack compact 9mm (XDS9) has been good. When I have the freedom, I love to carry my larger XD-SC9. When I bought my first gun (SW SD9VE), I carried it, but I never enjoyed carrying it due to its size--but the main reason is due to the horrid trigger on that weapon. There are tons of guys on here who carry full size 1911 .45s all day every day. So it can be done. You likely won't find 1 gun that meets all of your needs all of the time. You'll buy different guns and 7 holsters for each of them before you settle in to what works for you. Good Luck and Have Fun!

five.five-six

Post by five.five-six »

Can't go wrong with S&W M&P Shield .40
I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

It sounds like you have settled on a 40 S&W for your own reasons. As to which one is best is debatable and total up to the beholder. Go to several sporting goods stores and hold the guns that strike your fancy. Feel them, grip them like you are going to shoot. Be very very careful where you point. Some will feel better than others, some you won't like because there ooglay, others will look great but don't feel right.
After you have picked out what you like go to a range(s) that rent the same gun(s) you have decided on and shoot them. Shoot at least 25-50 rounds through each one. Some you won't like because they are to snappy, don't feel right or for other reasons. Try some that were on your maybe list also. Pick the one that just feels right.

Topic author
mulfjohn

Post by mulfjohn »

MeMelYup wrote:It sounds like you have settled on a 40 S&W for your own reasons. As to which one is best is debatable and total up to the beholder. Go to several sporting goods stores and hold the guns that strike your fancy. Feel them, grip them like you are going to shoot. Be very very careful where you point. Some will feel better than others, some you won't like because there ooglay, others will look great but don't feel right.
After you have picked out what you like go to a range(s) that rent the same gun(s) you have decided on and shoot them. Shoot at least 25-50 rounds through each one. Some you won't like because they are to snappy, don't feel right or for other reasons. Try some that were on your maybe list also. Pick the one that just feels right.

Good advice. Thanks :hurry: :tiphat:

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

mulfjohn wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:It sounds like you have settled on a 40 S&W for your own reasons. As to which one is best is debatable and total up to the beholder. Go to several sporting goods stores and hold the guns that strike your fancy. Feel them, grip them like you are going to shoot. Be very very careful where you point. Some will feel better than others, some you won't like because there ooglay, others will look great but don't feel right.

Good advice. Thanks :hurry: :tiphat:

:iagree:

But don't rule out a .357sig either if your are looking at .40. Read up on some of the ballistics reports. WHATEVER you do, don't buy a gun you have not shot!!!!!
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

thetexan

Post by thetexan »

I'll ditto the PT-140 Millenium Pro Taurus. Best 40 cal I've owned. Some people have had problems with them but I took a chance and have put it to the test and it has operated flawlessly. I think some of the trouble folks have had is with ammo. I think the problem may be that the MP is sensitive to certain types of ammo. I use American Eagle and never had a hang or misfire.

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”