Is Open Carry Activism Threatening our CHL rights.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

poppo
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Is Open Carry Activism Threatening our CHL rights.

Post by poppo »

cb1000rider wrote:It boggles my mind a bit that hidden is OK, but I guess that's "what you don't know"....
I liken it to someone who thinks something, vice says it. For example, someone can be anti-<insert whatever PC issue you please, race, religion etc)> and they can think how much they hate it all they want, and it bothers nobody. But voice those opinions publicly (even if it's your 1A right) and you will probably get some backlash.
USMC Retired - DAV Life Member - VFW Life Member - NRA Life Member

Mike.B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mike.B »

ScottDLS wrote:I can't find a link to it online, but on Tuesday night WFAA did one of their polls asking people to text in their vote on 'Should businesses be able to ban open carry of firearms'.

It is kind of a misleading question, because the answer is...they can and always have been able to
:iagree: An Inconvenient Truth

BuckFlicks
Posts in topic: 3

Post by BuckFlicks »

Beiruty wrote:
BuckFlicks wrote:The problem is that the OCT people are breaking the law. Despite their claims to the contrary, their open carry demonstrations are specifically conducted in a manner calculated to cause alarm, which makes their open carry demonstrations a violation of the law. Their entire point is to get the populace railed up and make the news when those frightened citizens call the police and the media. It absolutely is hurting the cause more than helping.
So can you describe when the long firearms are carried NOT in a manner calculated to cause alarm? It seems you are declaring OC of long firearms are not legal in Texas, which is simply not true.
Can you describe a time that a mass of people with ARS in hand marching up and down a busy intersection harassing people and going into a fast food restaurant with their AR at low ready is NOT intended to cause alarm?

I'm not saying that OC of long guns is illegal. I'm saying these idiots are breaking the law. I support open carry. I do NOT support the OCT idiots in the slightest.

gdanaher
Banned

Post by gdanaher »

I've been waiting for one of these idiots to drop his weapon down so that it appears he is aiming it at an innocent pedestrian on the street who happens to be carrying concealed. He in turn 'fears for his life' which is quite reasonable, draw and fire. It's going to happen somewhere. Just a matter of time if they keep it up.

In the news today is Target's announcement that they don't want guns in their stores, concealed or open, chl or not. This is the result of those fools prancing around with AKs slung on their shoulders. Thank you very much.

asbandr
Posts in topic: 6

Post by asbandr »

I won't be worried about Target announcement until they post 30.06. Then they'll see how much it cost them to shut up Shannon watts and the like.
I'm a mom who demands action. Single action, double action, single/double action. I'm an equal action shooter.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe. - Luke 11:21

FormerTSgt

Post by FormerTSgt »

I'm a huge supporter of OC of handguns. When I lived in GA and had my GA Weapons License I OC'd and CC'd 50/50. The most that ever happened was people asking what I was carrying. That said, GA is a different environment. With OC being legal we didn't have a problem like the OCT guys are creating. That and GA just expanded the locations that weapons carry (OC and CC) is allowed. Texas is slowly but surely working on getting there I believe.

All that said, these guys in OCT are not doing Texas gun rights advocates any favors. I agree with their stance in principle but not in the way they practice.

I guess I'd say I'm in 100% support of OC of handguns in TX but the OCT crowd tactics aren't going to get us there. In fact, I think they'll hurt the cause in the long run.
Former TSgt USAF Security Forces
Iraq Vet

jh9821

Post by jh9821 »

I feel that Open Rights activists are indeed hurting the image we (as in CHL holders) need to portray to the public. There is no need for "in your face" exhibitionism to get across being a supporter of 2A rights. The longer I carry concealed, the more likely I am not going to OC if it were ever to become a reality in Texas.

Ice

Post by Ice »

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/story/26134 ... or-airport" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another open carry nut... Why he feels the need to carry a rifle to order coffee is beyond me. What a waste of a brilliant mind!

Unicorn Rancher

Post by Unicorn Rancher »

Welcome Ice. That's a provocative first post. It didn't happen in Texas so am I to presume the story is about you, in accordance with Rule 9?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Unicorn Rancher wrote:Welcome Ice. That's a provocative first post. It didn't happen in Texas so am I to presume the story is about you, in accordance with Rule 9?
The story is about the doctor, not a LEO post, so Rule 9 doesn't apply.

Chas.

Ice

Post by Ice »

Thanks Charles. Unicorn Rancher, thanks for the welcome, and no need to be hostile. I shared the article because I thought it would add to the discussion, that's all. Have a nice day!

Dori

Post by Dori »

Somebody would have to be a nut to sling mud and not expect to get covered by some splashback. :lol:

gkgray

Post by gkgray »

This may be unpopular but has anyone everthought that maybe Open Carry Texas is a ruse and they are working hand in hand with Moms Demand Action and Bloomberg?

Has crossed my mind, especially when you see how some of these guys carry their rifles (remember the Chipotle guys) and how they are just daring somebody to say something.

Thoughts?

JR's 12 Valve

Post by JR's 12 Valve »

I am all for the open carry of handguns. Carrying a long gun because you want to get the OC of handguns legalized? BAD IDEA. You want to get a law changed, or a bill into session, call your state representatives.

tomdavis

Post by tomdavis »

As I cannot see how it helps the CHL cause, plus it feeds the anti's, then it is not hard to conclude it is hurting. Therefore, logic supports my gut feeling.
...for as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom – for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. Arbroath, 4/6/1320.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”