Need WiFi advice from all you tech-sters

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 3

Need WiFi advice from all you tech-sters

Post by Jumping Frog »

I have U-verse with the default AT&T wireless router (over 3 years old).

OK, basic problem #1 is spotty WiFi coverage, and problem #2 is (I assume) throughput/bandwith.

Problem #1 Coverage.: I'd like consistent coverage. Right now I have weak coverage/dead spots in the kitchen, back patio, and garage.

Problem #2 Throughput/bandwidth: We have 4 computers (soon to be 5), 5 cell phones, a roku, and a couple of XBoxes all using Wifi bandwidth. There are times when streaming video from Netflix or Amazon Prime simply isn't usable that I assume is bandwidth-related. As additional info, I can "see" at least 5 other WiFi networks (secured) from my surrounding neighbors.

Solution: So what little I know, it seems like I need a Wifi repeater? I also see there are possible problems with repeaters and interference, so I also don't know if that is the best solution. I also do not want to spend heavy dollars for a gold-plated top of the line solution. As always in networking gear, brand reputations evolve quickly, so I hope people can be very specific about a recommendation.

Here is a TP-LINK TL-WA901ND model that got positive reviews on CNET and PCMAG a year or two ago. I put it in my Amazon cart, but never bought it. I assume there have been something ridiculous like 19 product generations since that time, so what do you recommend today. All else being equal, I'd like to spend $100 or less.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Keith B
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Need WiFi advice from all you tech-sters

Post by Keith B »

Jumping Frog wrote:I have U-verse with the default AT&T wireless router (over 3 years old).

OK, basic problem #1 is spotty WiFi coverage, and problem #2 is (I assume) throughput/bandwith.

Problem #1 Coverage.: I'd like consistent coverage. Right now I have weak coverage/dead spots in the kitchen, back patio, and garage.

Problem #2 Throughput/bandwidth: We have 4 computers (soon to be 5), 5 cell phones, a roku, and a couple of XBoxes all using Wifi bandwidth. There are times when streaming video from Netflix or Amazon Prime simply isn't usable that I assume is bandwidth-related. As additional info, I can "see" at least 5 other WiFi networks (secured) from my surrounding neighbors.

Solution: So what little I know, it seems like I need a Wifi repeater? I also see there are possible problems with repeaters and interference, so I also don't know if that is the best solution. I also do not want to spend heavy dollars for a gold-plated top of the line solution. As always in networking gear, brand reputations evolve quickly, so I hope people can be very specific about a recommendation.

Here is a TP-LINK TL-WA901ND model that got positive reviews on CNET and PCMAG a year or two ago. I put it in my Amazon cart, but never bought it. I assume there have been something ridiculous like 19 product generations since that time, so what do you recommend today. All else being equal, I'd like to spend $100 or less.
The WiFi in the U-Verse gateway is not very good for bandwidth and gets congested easily. I would suggest you get a good Wireless-N 750 or higher router and put in on your gateway and turn off the WiFi in the U-verse gateway. If you currently have dead spots, then a high power one would be better. Also get a dual 2.4 & 5.8Ghz router and run as much as you can on the 5Ghz band. You may also be dealing with neighbors overlapping your channels on the 2.4Ghz frequencies and that will interfere. Download inSSIDer http://www.inssider.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and scan your house to see how crowded the band is and if you are overlapping with a neighbor with a strong signal. Changing the channel may help, but getting a really good WiFi router will make a BIG difference.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 1

Post by baldeagle »

I second Keith's advice. A good WiFi router is the way to go. They can be had relatively cheaply at most electronics stores.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

In a world of "you get what you pay for", spending less than $100 on a router might not cut it. I've got the Asus RT-N66U "Dark Knight" router, one of the best routers out there. I love it. My co-worker has one, he loves it.

I use Uverse too. There is an option with in the Uverse router config to put it in 'DMZplus mode'. You'll find it under Settings->Firewall->Applications, Pinholes and DMZ. What this allows you to do is set whatever router you choose to be your 'default gateway' & which gives you better firewall settings/control than the Uverse & sets your external internet IP at your router & then you can run services like Dynamic DNS.
Last edited by LAYGO on Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

Topic author
Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Brand/model recommendations?
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

One of the easiest things you can do right NOW w/o buying a new router is get a wifi scanning app for your phone/tablet. I use this app called Wifi Analyzer. It'll give you several reports of what other frequencies are being used by your neighbors & how strong their signal is (aka interference). This allows you to pick a spot in the spectrum that is less 'polluted'.
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Jumping Frog wrote:Brand/model recommendations?
Here is CNET's review of the best http://www.cnet.com/topics/networking/b ... g-devices/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Those are a little pricey, but will definitely perform the best.

I personally like this router, but not everyone does " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your best bet is to place the router as close to the area you will do most of your computing in. If it is all around the house, then place it in the middle. Laptops will do better on range than handheld devices, so place it closer to the areas those will be used in. And, utilize the 5.8Ghz band as much as possible for optimal bandwidth and less crowded band sharing with neighbors. However, the 5.8 band will not have as great a range as the 2.4 will.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

The Marshal

Post by The Marshal »

Jumping Frog,

The U_verse Gateway stinks.
What you do is turn Wireless OFF in the Gateway, then put a good 802.11AC based wireless router behind it.
I have this D-Link DIR-860L in this configuration, and it burns the house down. I have wireless connections out the wazoo as well. :)

Would suggest you get the DIR-868L model... faster = better.
Another great AC wireless router is the ASUS RT-AC66U. Put that at our Church, and coverage is spectacular.

~Bill

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

What you need is a wireless access point, not a wireless router. Your U-Verse gateway is already a router. Access points are a little less expensive and more purpose built without having to deal with all of the layer 3 (IP routing) software.

Here's the one I use:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Probably one of the best home/small/medium business B/G/N AP's without going over $100. You might be able to get by with one of them, but if you need more, you don't need to configure them individually - just configure them once and all of them will be configured.

And with it being an access point v.s. a router, there will be less to configure, as they are less complex.

Just be sure to disable the wifi on the U-Verse gateway for best results, then plug the AP into one of the network ports on the U-Verse box (or a switch connected to it if you have another switch).

But again, I recommend an access point, not a router, for multiple reasons, but mainly because two routers on the same network can cause some issues if not configured and wired correctly. You will be double NAT'ed if you don't enable DMZ on the U-Verse. You could end up with two DHCP servers (which is bad.) if you use the wrong port. And generally it's just a PITA if you don't know what you're doing.

Also, you may be able to call AT&T and ask to see if they can upgrade your U-Verse gateway. If you have one of the old ones (big, grey, comes with external battery backup), they might be able to. They have a newer model that is black and smaller, and should provide better performance. Just tell them that you're not happy with the performance of your gateway and would like the updated model. I would recommend doing this even if you get another wireless access point.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

mr1337 wrote:What you need is a wireless access point, not a wireless router. Your U-Verse gateway is already a router. Access points are a little less expensive and more purpose built without having to deal with all of the layer 3 (IP routing) software.

Here's the one I use:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Probably one of the best home/small/medium business B/G/N AP's without going over $100. You might be able to get by with one of them, but if you need more, you don't need to configure them individually - just configure them once and all of them will be configured.

And with it being an access point v.s. a router, there will be less to configure, as they are less complex.

Just be sure to disable the wifi on the U-Verse gateway for best results, then plug the AP into one of the network ports on the U-Verse box (or a switch connected to it if you have another switch).

But again, I recommend an access point, not a router, for multiple reasons, but mainly because two routers on the same network can cause some issues if not configured and wired correctly. You will be double NAT'ed if you don't enable DMZ on the U-Verse. You could end up with two DHCP servers (which is bad.) if you use the wrong port. And generally it's just a PITA if you don't know what you're doing.

Also, you may be able to call AT&T and ask to see if they can upgrade your U-Verse gateway. If you have one of the old ones (big, grey, comes with external battery backup), they might be able to. They have a newer model that is black and smaller, and should provide better performance. Just tell them that you're not happy with the performance of your gateway and would like the updated model. I would recommend doing this even if you get another wireless access point.
none of the U-verse gateways have very good bandwidth or dual frequency, so stick with an external dual-band AP or Router.
Keith

rogersinsel

Post by rogersinsel »

Jumping Frog wrote:I have U-verse with the default AT&T wireless router (over 3 years old).

You are right in that ATT residential gateways have poor wi-fi baked in.

Check out this router: http://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC68U/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or this: http://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC66R/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When you attach another router to your ATT RG, make sure you create a DMZ and bind it to the port that you used for the new router. If you don't do that you will have issues with your new router as well. Disabling ATT RG wi-fi is good and optional, but not required. The 2.4 GHz band is more crowded, but it penetrates walls better and travels farther. The 5 GHz band is less crowded, but suffers a signal drop as it moves through walls. Most dual band routers will/can use the same SSID on each band and therefore let the device determine which band is best at that time.
The ASUS routers are bullet proof, dual band multimedia streaming routers. A quick check of the gaming world and you'll see, those who want to forget about wireless use them.

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

Ya'll are making my head hurt with all this tech-talk. :headscratch :mrgreen:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

cheezit
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cheezit »

Diy a wifi router

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

mr1337 wrote:Also, you may be able to call AT&T and ask to see if they can upgrade your U-Verse gateway. If you have one of the old ones (big, grey, comes with external battery backup), they might be able to. They have a newer model that is black and smaller, and should provide better performance. Just tell them that you're not happy with the performance of your gateway and would like the updated model. I would recommend doing this even if you get another wireless access point.
FYI, please don't bother calling into AT&T U-Verse asking for an "upgraded" RG. I happen to work there and can tell you that there is no way it's going to happen. The RGs we use are designed for specific transport types and they are not just interchangeable. You would do far, far better to follow other's advice here and get a Wireless Access Point, 3rd party router, or a WiFi extender.

cheezit
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cheezit »

My post should have said diy wifi antenna, I dont know how that got auto corrected. Simply some cardboard glue a nd tinfoil get net gain in distance, from there you can build yagi types. Its all pretty simple to do.

Return to “Off-Topic”