No CHL: can I take my pistol to a shop, or to a gun show?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
cultzombie
Posts in topic: 3

No CHL: can I take my pistol to a shop, or to a gun show?

Post by cultzombie »

Hi All,

New member here; thanks for having me.

Not yet having my CHL, I carry only at home and in the car, two places I know I'm allowed to carry (PC 46.02(1) and (2)). But I'm in need of a new holster and would like to take my pistol to a gun show or to a local gun shop to check for holster fit before buying. I might also want to take my pistol to a gunsmith some time. This would involve carrying a handgun outside of my car, and not on my own property.

Can anyone suggest how you'd handle this situation? Is it possible that gun shopping or gun maintenance could qualify as "lawful hunting, fishing, or other sporting activity" (PC 46.15 (b)(3))? Or is it completely "do it at your own peril"? Or conversely, is it "just do it, it's common sense, nobody will say anything"? Or something else?

I'm already in the processing of securing a CHL, and really don't want to mess up and get some legal trouble in the mean time.

Thanks!

CZ

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: No CHL: can I take my pistol to a shop, or to a gun show

Post by AF-Odin »

Put UNLOADED pistol in case and carry from vehicle into gunshop letting store personnel know before taking it out of the case to try holsters.

For gunshow, follow same rules and DECLARE to Gun Show entry personnel who will check and probably zip tie.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

ajwakeboarder

Post by ajwakeboarder »

:iagree: Also, don't bring any bullets at all to a gun show. I've seen people unload their gun but still have a loaded mag in their case. The gun show personnel will take every bullet and put it in a "donation" bin.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Topic author
cultzombie

Post by cultzombie »

Yep, I think these comments both make sense and are based on a wise consideration for the policies and sensibilities of the venue. Thanks! :tiphat:

What I'm really curious about is how the law views the notion that a non-CHL-holder may sometimes need to carry a handgun from his car, across a parking lot or down a sidewalk, to a store, gunsmith, pawn shop, gun show, etc. I'm guessing this is just a grey area where it is technically illegal but just not enforced. Or am I missing something in the law?

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

cultzombie wrote:Yep, I think these comments both make sense and are based on a wise consideration for the policies and sensibilities of the venue. Thanks! :tiphat:

What I'm really curious about is how the law views the notion that a non-CHL-holder may sometimes need to carry a handgun from his car, across a parking lot or down a sidewalk, to a store, gunsmith, pawn shop, gun show, etc. I'm guessing this is just a grey area where it is technically illegal but just not enforced. Or am I missing something in the law?
Must be cased and unloaded to go outside of your vehicle if not on or directly in-route to property you own are in control of.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
cultzombie

Post by cultzombie »

Keith B wrote:Must be cased and unloaded to go outside of your vehicle if not on or directly in-route to property you own are in control of.
Thanks, Keith B. Do you happen know what statute that's from?

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

Sec. 46.15. NONAPPLICABILITY.

(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:

(3) is engaging in lawful hunting, fishing, or other sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is en route between the premises and the actor's residence, motor vehicle, or watercraft, if the weapon is a type commonly used in the activity;

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”