Call your State Rep

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
slr001
Posts in topic: 4

Call your State Rep

Post by slr001 »

It has been recommended here many time by many people to call your State Representative if your application isn't proceeding in a timely fashion. Or if you can't get a truthful, informed answer when calling for status.

I just received a follow up call from Senator Ken Paxtons office. It was an interesting call from the aid who had called Austin on my behalf.

I actually emailed the Senators office two times, as well as my Texas State Representative.

According to the aide, she contacted Austin after my first email. She said she was assured my application was being worked on and would go out shortly. When she got my second email a few weeks later, she called DPS and was told it would be completed and sent out right away. She demanded that it be put in writing, and that I be contacted personally by phone. She also told me it was finished on Monday and mailed on Tuesday.

I thanked her for the follow up and for all of the help. I also told her about this forum. She suggested that I tell people to do the same and contact there local reps. I assured her that plenty of people make that recommendation, and that I actually was prompted to contact them because of reading about it here.

I created a standalone thread for this because she told me that everyone that is having problems should contact their reps. That next session would probably provide increased funding for DPS based on these problems. She also said that the MOST common call or email they get is about CHL application problems, and she said they were one of the busier offices.

So keep this in mind. Solve your problems, and also help DPS with additional funding and perhaps some help in improving their process flow.

scruff254

Re: Call your State Rep

Post by scruff254 »

I contacted my representatives office yesterday and the the lady handling the issue has been nothing but professional and courteous! I am awaiting a response by the end of the day. She said she called their liaison with the DPS, and I should know something shortly. I am very pleased with the recommendation here to contact your reps... I agree!
"Chance favors a prepared mind"

mr1337
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mr1337 »

I called DPS yesterday (61st day since materials were sent in) and they said they hadn't received my materials (or rather they hadn't recorded that they received them).

I emailed my state representative and state senator asking them to assist.

Today at lunch I got a call from DPS saying my CHL is being printed.

I'm not gonna say it's a coincidence, but if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Topic author
slr001

Post by slr001 »

I would encourage everyone discussing this with there Rep to also discuss fixing the process. It is great to get our CHL apps out of the black hole. But if we can help improve the process along the way, it helps everyone.

scruff254

Post by scruff254 »

today is day 60 for me... and all Ive received was an email 53 days after submitting everything stating they received my application and fingerprints.
I'm a law abiding citizen, a volunteer firefighter and first responder... there is nothing in my background that would hold it up like it is. That being said, every time I read a success from calling the state reps, I get more and more encouraged that its just a matter of days.

mr1337
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mr1337 »

slr001 wrote:I would encourage everyone discussing this with there Rep to also discuss fixing the process. It is great to get our CHL apps out of the black hole. But if we can help improve the process along the way, it helps everyone.
DPS might already be working on that. Most of the posts from June applicants say they are getting plastic in hand in around 3 weeks, which I think is reasonable. If that trend continues, they just need to catch up on April/May applications and stay on track going forward.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jim Beaux »

Sorry for you guys having to wait so long, but maybe that's a good sign that many more Texans are getting CHLs. :cheers2:
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Someone posted elsewhere that over there are over 200,000 new chls in the last year or so. That is quite the workload.
Last edited by mojo84 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

scruff254

Post by scruff254 »

So after emailing my state rep, I called and got through to RSD in Austin and my documents have been processed and they are finishing up the background check, Card should be printed and mailed next week.
Call your representatives if you're having legitimate issues with the process, it infact sped up my wait time from "awaiting documentation" to "finishing background check" in a matter of 24 hours. It worked!

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

scruff254 wrote:So after emailing my state rep, I called and got through to RSD in Austin and my documents have been processed and they are finishing up the background check, Card should be printed and mailed next week.
Call your representatives if you're having legitimate issues with the process, it infact sped up my wait time from "awaiting documentation" to "finishing background check" in a matter of 24 hours. It worked!
You called your Rep. even before the 60 days processing period had expired? Why?

Chas.

Topic author
slr001

Post by slr001 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
scruff254 wrote:So after emailing my state rep, I called and got through to RSD in Austin and my documents have been processed and they are finishing up the background check, Card should be printed and mailed next week.
You called your Rep. even before the 60 days processing period had expired? Why?

Chas.
I know the question wasn't to me. But there is more to it than the time frame.

There are the lies (yes I was lied to), there are the hang ups (yes I was hung up on), there are people getting their licenses in 15-30 days, while others are at 60-90 (I am currently at 77).

If I see multiple people getting theirs in 15 days and I am at 45, why wouldn't I call someone?

I talked to my rep more about the broken process than the actual wait time.

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
:iagree:

EnigmaEvo8

Post by EnigmaEvo8 »

slr001 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
I know the question wasn't to me. But there is more to it than the time frame.

There are the lies (yes I was lied to), there are the hang ups (yes I was hung up on), there are people getting their licenses in 15-30 days, while others are at 60-90 (I am currently at 77).

If I see multiple people getting theirs in 15 days and I am at 45, why wouldn't I call someone?

I talked to my rep more about the broken process than the actual wait time.
Just did the same. I totally agree, how can some get theirs so soon and others have to wait? Makes no sense.
Online Application 4/29/14 Fingerprints 5/5/14
CHL Class 5/31/14 Documents E-Mailed 5/31/14
Documents received confirmation 6/2/14
CHL in hand 7/17/14

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

I haven't been paying attention to who is getting their licenses, but is it possible that those who are getting their in 15 days are renewals? it's a different process for us it doesn't take as long.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Topic author
slr001

Post by slr001 »

SewTexas wrote:I haven't been paying attention to who is getting their licenses, but is it possible that those who are getting their in 15 days are renewals? it's a different process for us it doesn't take as long.
No these are new applicants... Some from mid may, and several in June.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”