What does a "well-regulated" militia mean?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
baldeagle
Posts in topic: 1

What does a "well-regulated" militia mean?

Post by baldeagle »

Well-Regulated
Context matters.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Keith B

Re: What does a "well-regulated" militia mean?

Post by Keith B »

The 2007 the Supreme Court ruled and stated it simply and succinctly.

U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit (2007):
The Amendment does not protect “the right of militiamen to keep and bear arms,” but rather “the right of the people.” The operative clause, properly read, protects the ownership and use of weaponry beyond that needed to preserve the state militias.
http://www.factcheck.org/2007/12/suprem ... d-militia/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Both posts are absolutely correct regardless of what some "dissenting" Supreme Court Justices believed on a few opinions.
III

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

baldeagle wrote:Well-Regulated
Context matters.
We the People
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

In the 1700's Militia ment all able bodied free men from the age of majority (approximately 17 or 18) to the age of about 50 were automatically in the militia unless they were physically unable or a conscientious objector. By adopting the 13th and 14th Amendments "The Militia" became all able bodied men and women who are citizens and are not conscientious objectors.

android

Post by android »

Seems to me that IF SCOTUS had ruled stupidly that the state of Texas could create a state militia that consisted of every adult that is not a prohibited person. Any proof of Texas residency would be all you need to show membership.

TEX

Post by TEX »

Can't remember just now where I read it, but from what I remember "well regulated" back in colonial days basically meant "well equipped" or "well trained". It had nothing to do with controlling or supervising. It is only a modern view of regulating which came into being during the industrial revolution which comes to people minds in this time - and that does mean to control or have control of.

My view on it was that the founding fathers knew a militia wasn't worth much if they didn't have the proper tools to fight with and/or didn’t know how to use the equipment. They felt they should be "well regulated" = "well equipped and trained"
There will be no peace until they love their children more than they hate us - Golda Meir

GeoffB

Post by GeoffB »

Here's a link from gunsite.com that breaks it down pretty good.

http://www.guncite.com/gc2ndmea.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”