Just Browsing?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Blindref757
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Just Browsing?

Post by Blindref757 »

It's OK to browse Gander Mountain and then buy cheaper! :biggrinjester: When I was looking for a new gun a few years ago, the Gander clerk told me that if I liked the XD9 SC, I could buy it at the local gun show coming up the next weekend for $150 less than GM price...so I did! He no longer works for GM...in fact, he was gone from there within a month or so. The next time I saw him was about a year later...working for the local mom-pop gun shop!

RSJ

Post by RSJ »

I am actually the other way around. I price a gun online, and visit a store (or show). I take into consideration shipping fees, taxes, FFL transfer fee, etc and if the local store is within a reasonable price, or if able to haggle at a gun show, I'll buy in person. One example was a G42 I found at a gun show for $399.99, while most other places had it from 430-500, and often not in stock.

When it comes to accessories, my experiences seem to show that online is generally the way to go. This is even more-so true lately. "Cheaper" than dirt has really gone the other direction. The $36.00 box of Tula .45 I saw the other day confirmed that. I'm trying to stay with the reasonably priced places in DFW such as GT Dist. I'm done with CTD, Academy, and MOST of the local shops until they match something close to what I'm seeing at a select few stores, online, and places such as walmart (when in stock-ammo).

My go-to list right now is

Online: Palmetto, CDNN, Aim Surplus, Primary Arms, DSG.

In DFW: GT Dist, sometimes GG2G.

To add, regarding specifically going to a store to "touch and see the product" I don't mind it or see a problem with it. Like stated above, its all about price for me. I don't see a situation where I'd go view a $600 gun just to go home and try to find it online for $575.

One plus is, Frisco Gun Club seems to have a wide array of test guns you can rent, and that's 10times better than touching a gun in any store.
NRA Member

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SQLGeek »

I'm certainly not opposed to paying more to a LGS if they give me a chance to look over the guns and help me with questions (not that I usually have many).

Just this last week I went into Gander Mountain because their selection is excellent even though knowing the prices can be quite a bit higher. I perused several of their Sigs and the salesman let me handle them but I had some genuine questions about them and he didn't seem to know hardly anything and didn't seem real interested in trying to find the answer.
Psalm 91:2

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

Jim Beaux wrote:SNIP
n5wd wrote:
And for those that are so adamant about not shopping online - I suppose you won't purchase at a gun show, either?
Who are you asking?

It was an open question aimed at anyone that is adamant about not shopping online in favor of the LGS. To put it another way, it wasn't aimed at anyone specific.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

n5wd wrote:And for those that are so adamant about not shopping online - I suppose you won't purchase at a gun show, either?
I simply won't buy a gun online as I
(1) want to feel it, see it, know it is the proper condition
(2) don't want to add to the cost of the gun by having to pay an FFL
(3) don't want to add to the time, by having to drive to that FFL to get the gun
(4) much like when I buy a new car, I want to drive it NOW, so I want to head to PSC NOW
(5) I hate waiting for deliveries!

And before you ask, I rarely buy ANYTHING online, for those exact same reasons, not just guns.
Once in a great while I will buy online, if I cant get it locally, or if it is a long term needed item, like a Christmas present I am buying a couple months in advance.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Teamless wrote:
n5wd wrote:And for those that are so adamant about not shopping online - I suppose you won't purchase at a gun show, either?
I simply won't buy a gun online as I
(1) want to feel it, see it, know it is the proper condition
(2) don't want to add to the cost of the gun by having to pay an FFL
(3) don't want to add to the time, by having to drive to that FFL to get the gun
(4) much like when I buy a new car, I want to drive it NOW, so I want to head to PSC NOW
(5) I hate waiting for deliveries!

And before you ask, I rarely buy ANYTHING online, for those exact same reasons, not just guns.
Once in a great while I will buy online, if I cant get it locally, or if it is a long term needed item, like a Christmas present I am buying a couple months in advance.
Guns I buy locally, not online, but most of those reasons you list don't apply to other types of online purchases. I buy most things online so I don't have to waste time driving to a store and shopping, especially since a great deal of the time, they don't have it anyway. I understand wanting it now, but most of what I get online I get within two days. A lot of what I order online I can't get locally, or would have to order it through the store, at extra cost, and wait for it anyway. If it doesn't come in the proper condition I send it back, at no cost to me.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

I wish my Amazon Prime membership let me buy guns directly online, no FFL, and "free" 2-day shipping.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Superman
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Superman »

It's insane to say that I'm obligated to buy at a certain store because I'm looking at their merchandise. That goes against the very foundation of commerce.

I have totally gone to a gun store to physically check out some guns before I went to a gun show to buy them. I've even "browsed" online before going to gun show to buy a gun (to see what prices are good or bad). Sometimes I've even gone to a gun show to look at lots of guns to contrast/compare and not buy anything at the show. I've been at a store before and saw something I wanted, I then whipped out my phone and did a quick online search and decided to buy online instead of right there at the store (I weighed the tradeoff of waiting a few more days to get it rather than pay the higher price and get it immediately). I have absolutely no guilt in doing so...nor should I.

Any business has to present a good value proposition to me in order to earn my business. Will having a good inventory, almost guaranteeing I can get whatever I want when I want it, make me pay a premium price (however large or small that "premium" that is)? It might, but it might not...for me, it depends on how big the "premium" is.

To think that you can't go into a store and browse with the intention of purchasing somewhere else is ludicrous...I bet car salesmen would love that "rule" though :anamatedbanana

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jim Beaux »

*SNIP*
Superman wrote:It's insane to say that I'm obligated to buy at a certain store because I'm looking at their merchandise. That goes against the very foundation of commerce.
Though I prefer to shop local, I also buy online. Bargain hunting is prudent; but that was not the point of the OP. He asked if it is acceptable to use the merchant's MONEY for his own advantage. (which is also to the detriment of the merchant)

This practice is free loading and it's the antithesis of commerce. It's also a major reason that our country is presently in the shape it is.
free·load
verb \-ˌlōd\

: to get or ask for things (such as food, money, or a place to live) from people without paying for them
Full Definition of FREELOAD
intransitive verb
: to impose upon another's generosity or hospitality without sharing in the cost or responsibility involved : sponge
— free·load·er noun
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Superman
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Superman »

Jim Beaux wrote: Though I prefer to shop local, I also buy online. Bargain hunting is prudent; but that was not the point of the OP. He asked if it is acceptable to use the merchant's MONEY for his own advantage. (which is also to the detriment of the merchant)
The OP doesn't say anything about using merchant's MONEY for personal advantage...just about going to browse without the intention to buy.
Jim Beaux wrote:
This practice is free loading and it's the antithesis of commerce. It's also a major reason that our country is presently in the shape it is.
It's not freeloading at all. It's an expected and normal part of business. You always have and always will have window shoppers, it's not a new concept and does not catch anyone off guard. There is nothing unethical about it at all. Now where it would cross the line into unethical behavior is if you lied to the worker and presented that you were interested in buying from them. I can't count the number of times I've been in a store and someone has come ask if they could help me and I simply said "No thanks, I'm just browsing." Their universal response is then, "Ok, I'll be over here, let me know if you need anything or have any questions." And sometimes I actually do go get them to ask questions or have them help me in some way...and they are happy to help. It's a part of good customer service.

That's part of business and it will never change...and no one should feel guilty about it (I sure don't! :mrgreen: ).

Barron76

Post by Barron76 »

If I'm in a store then most likely I'm interested in buying something... if I want to browse I usually do that at a gun show where everything is out & ready to be handled.

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

**SNIP**
Superman wrote: The OP doesn't say anything about using merchant's MONEY for personal advantage...just about going to browse without the intention to buy.
No money? Property is money. If you disagree then explain your concept on how the merchant acquires his inventory.

Also the OP did ask if it was ok if the intention was to buy on line. Here ya go:
go to the local store just to chat and handle the merchandise then go buy it cheaper online,
It's a character issue. Say and do what you want, but it is still wrong, and all obfuscation will not change the definition of Freeloading.
free·load
verb \-ˌlōd\

: to get or ask for things (such as food, money, or a place to live) from people without paying for them
Full Definition of FREELOAD
intransitive verb
: to impose upon another's generosity or hospitality without sharing in the cost or responsibility involved : sponge
— free·load·er noun
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

nightmare
Deactivated until real name is provided

Post by nightmare »

Jim Beaux wrote:No money? Property is money. If you disagree then explain your concept on how the merchant acquires his inventory.
Money is one type of property but property is not necessarily money.

P.S. There's a $100 charge for this lesson. Unless you're a freeloader. :biggrinjester:
Equo ne credite, Teucri. Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

gljjt
Posts in topic: 9

Post by gljjt »

I have never bought a gun online because I have never found what I wanted cheaper than a local purchase. Not saying it can't be done but for my main line purchases, Glock/AR/.38-.357 revolver, I couldn't get it cheaper than Academy and Sportsmans Warehouse (when they were still here). With that said, I see the following advantages/disadvantages for local purchase at a retail store vs online purchase.

Sales tax for local, none for online if the seller is out of state --- advantage INTERNET
No FFL fee or Shipping charge for local --- Advantage LOCAL
Touch and feel --- Advantage LOCAL
Q&A --- Advantage LOCAL
Selection, especially for rare/unique/short supply items --- Advantage INTERNET
Instant gratification --- Advantage LOCAL
Support your local community --- Advantage LOCAL FAMILY OWNED GUN STORE
Possible great deal or no 4473 required --- Advantage FTF SALE
Probable best purchase place --- THE PLACE WITH YOUR GIFT CARD NAME ON IT!!!

them

Post by them »

Two answers, one for the browsing question, one for the online side of the question.

First: I go into stores to browse all the time, and it has nothing to do with the internet. I was browsing before I had ever heard of the internet. I go into home depot to see if they have anything I can adapt to projects I am working on, to outdoor stores to see camping gear that might workfor upcoming trips, and so on. I definitely go to gun stores to see if they have anything I "absolutely need" ;). If approached by a store employee I will typically say, "Just browsing," which isn't code for, "I'm looking here but will buy online," but rather, "I don't need personal service at this time." When I find an item I am interested in I start making decisions about when and how to buy. At that point the store is definitely in the running to make a sale, but the sale was never guaranteed and I have no obligation to buy or buy from that store. I will find the best overall deal (taking into account cost, time, guarantees, and so on). I may go home to think about it and come back a week later to buy. I may find I can buy it online for a dramatically better price and buy that way. I think that is not only ethical, but good for the store.

Second answer: Regarding the specific case of seeing something online and wanting to touch/feel it before buying. I think this is now called "showrooming" rather than browsing. I think showrooming is to the merchan's benefit because people who become interested in a gun (any product) visit the merchant's store. If Joe Internet sees a 642 (or whatever) online, reads reviews, checks the prices on someonlinegunstore.com, there are two ways it can go from there:

1) They buy the gun right then and there, counting on return policies or the ability to sell to cover disappointments. The deal is done and local retailers lost the sale without ever knowing it was being considered. Some kitchen table FFL will get $20 and that's that.

2) Joe wants to touch and feel so he heads for a local shop. The shop has a prospect walk through their door interested in a particular gun and intending to buy. It is now up to the sales person to convince Joe that buying from that shop is better in some way than buying online...an opportunity the shop didn't have before.

Possibility #2 is something businesses pay for. They pay real money to get qualified customers in the door. Advertising, store decore, and so on...none of which was needed to get Joe to come in. I say it is not only ethical of Joe to visit a local retailer to touch/feel, but it is a positive benefit to the retailer and can be viewed as free money being given to the store. It is up to the store to recognize the opportunity and close the sale. If the store can't close it is just sour grapes and an indication of poor thinking to blame online retailers for their own missed opportunity.

That is my take anyway. :)

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”