Looking for a pocket gun...

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

TomsTXCHL
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Looking for a pocket gun...

Post by TomsTXCHL »

ELB wrote:If MWNO* and I wanted a semi-auto pocket gun, I would get a Rohrbaugh. 9mm, not .357, looks like a Seecamp or Guardian. I dunno if you are really going to find any other genuine "pocket" sized semi auto in a caliber above .380. The R9 is as close as I know of.

http://rohrbaughfirearms.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*Money Were No Object (last I looked, R9s were $1000+)
I was real hot to get one of these, and after some significant research including talking with a TX CHL instructor who owns one, and participation in their "official" forum, there is no way I would trust my life to the R9.

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

Really think glock 33 is going to be as close as you are going to get. I have on occasion pocket carried my m&p 40c; it can be done if your pocket size allows. Wonder if you could sweet talk($) some one into milling you a 357 sig barrel which you could run in a pm/cm 40? I pocket carry my m&p, 638, cm9, and usually my xds 45. Although at the upper limits of what many seem to feel is "pocketable," I have no problems pocket carrying my little mortar. It works for me in an albama kydex holster in all but the most "sensitive" situations.
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

CoolBreeze
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CoolBreeze »

I carry a .40 S&W most of the time myself and always saw .380 as an underpowered round not worthy of my carry. I finally broke down and bought Ruger LCP. I carry it as a backup and sometimes as a primary (when concealing a larger pistol is uncomfortable or less concealable like in the hottest part of summer). I still carry a spare mag but I can honestly say it made me understand the theory of a .380 in the pocket is better than a .40 in the safe (or in your case a .357 Sig). Just my two cents that isn't even worth that anymore...

The Glock 33 is probably the smallest option made in .357 Sig. I am a big Glock proponent but will honestly say the Glock 33 is based off the Glock 26 platform and was designed for 9mm. It will handle the higher pressure cartridge but you can expect it to wear out early (most people do not fire enough rounds through a firearm to wear them out but it is something to think about).
The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed. -Thomas Jefferson
Never Shoot a Large Caliber Man with a Small Caliber Bullet
IANAL - Please do not assume anything in my posts is legal advice

CoolBreeze
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CoolBreeze »

Excaliber wrote:
G.A. Heath wrote:I know this is a little bit outside the box but why not find a "pocket" gun along the lines you want chambered in .40S&W. Once you have it in hand you can get a custom barrel maker to set you up with a custom barrel for the .357 Sig. With .40S&W gun and .357 Sig barrel in hand you simply swap barrels and have a .357 Sig. This will leave you with a .357sig version of what ever gun you choose, so put a few hundred rounds through it to ensure it works properly and you should be good to go.
G.A. Heath gets extra credit for creative thinking on this one.

Although it meets the interchangeable ammo criterion, I don't think it has any significant practical value over carrying a small pistol in another police service caliber (e.g. 40S&W) because the duty magazines and the ones for the pocket gun will not be interchangeable.

I don't know of any instances where someone unloaded individual cartridges from one type of magazine to stuff them into another type of magazine during a reload under combat conditions, nor do I think it would be a good survival strategy to spend that much time on this process. Simply carrying a spare magazine for the second pistol would be a much more functional solution.
Unless you are referring to the Glock 27. Since .357 Sig is a .40 S&W cartridge necked down to 9mm on the end you could buy it (the G27) and swap nothing more than the barrel (OEM) and you should be able to shoot .357 Sig out of it while also being able to use longer Glock 31 mags in it (I would recommend getting G33 for it but it will work). You can't use the smaller G27 mags loaded with .357 Sig in the G31 though (too short). Although you could just get the G33 if you had no interest in the .40...
The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed. -Thomas Jefferson
Never Shoot a Large Caliber Man with a Small Caliber Bullet
IANAL - Please do not assume anything in my posts is legal advice

JRG

Post by JRG »

Or if having the same caliber is really the only criteria in getting a pocket gun....... you could go for a Bond Arms derringer in .357 sig. Just a thought. That is I think they make a barrel in the caliber.

Joe

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”