May 2014

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

rickie210
Posts in topic: 13

Re: May 2014

Post by rickie210 »

My state representative called me to make sure that DPS had contacted me to let me know the status of my application funny thing is that I went from not being in the system to my CHL being mailed in a matter of days so from my experience if it's been around 7 weeks contact your state representative funny how fast things will get rollin after you do so.

EnigmaEvo8
Posts in topic: 14

Post by EnigmaEvo8 »

Thanks for the advice. If I have to wait that long that'll be first thing on my list to do.
Online Application 4/29/14 Fingerprints 5/5/14
CHL Class 5/31/14 Documents E-Mailed 5/31/14
Documents received confirmation 6/2/14
CHL in hand 7/17/14

CoolBreeze
Posts in topic: 30

Post by CoolBreeze »

rickie210 wrote:My state representative called me to make sure that DPS had contacted me to let me know the status of my application funny thing is that I went from not being in the system to my CHL being mailed in a matter of days so from my experience if it's been around 7 weeks contact your state representative funny how fast things will get rollin after you do so.
It is unfortunate but :iagree:

Congrats!
The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed. -Thomas Jefferson
Never Shoot a Large Caliber Man with a Small Caliber Bullet
IANAL - Please do not assume anything in my posts is legal advice

deadstick
Posts in topic: 6

Post by deadstick »

And a nice surprise in the mail today for both myself and wife:
dummy_lic_small.png
So to recap we applied 5/2 and 5/7 and received them today which is 61 and 56 days respectively.

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 12

Post by TVGuy »

deadstick wrote:And a nice surprise in the mail today for both myself and wife:
dummy_lic_small.png
So to recap we applied 5/2 and 5/7 and received them today which is 61 and 56 days respectively.
Congrats and great pic! Is your wife's as good?

jmra
Posts in topic: 42

Post by jmra »

deadstick wrote:And a nice surprise in the mail today for both myself and wife:
dummy_lic_small.png
Congrats
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Pluto
Posts in topic: 70

Post by Pluto »

rickie210 wrote:My state representative called me to make sure that DPS had contacted me to let me know the status of my application funny thing is that I went from not being in the system to my CHL being mailed in a matter of days so from my experience if it's been around 7 weeks contact your state representative funny how fast things will get rollin after you do so.
So how did you go about contacting your state rep? I called today and actually got through only to be told to give it another 2 weeks and that my paper work has not been input in the system.

CoolBreeze
Posts in topic: 30

Post by CoolBreeze »

Pluto wrote:
So how did you go about contacting your state rep? I called today and actually got through only to be told to give it another 2 weeks and that my paper work has not been input in the system.

If you are over 60 days from the time they received your app:

This is one way:
http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/Home.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by CoolBreeze on Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed. -Thomas Jefferson
Never Shoot a Large Caliber Man with a Small Caliber Bullet
IANAL - Please do not assume anything in my posts is legal advice

rickie210
Posts in topic: 13

Post by rickie210 »

Pluto wrote:
I sent an email to my state representative and told him how I was being told to just wait and wait when I contacted DPS I was told same thing 2 more weeks and I was tired of it so that's when I emailed.

gsansing
Posts in topic: 9

Post by gsansing »

How are you guys getting through? I must have called 4-5 times on Monday, 4-5 times on Tuesday, and three times today; and all I get is the pre-recorded message. When you push 1 for CHl, the system tell me there is a high call demand and says to try back later and then hangs up.
My wife says I'm a gun snob.... I'm okay with that.
Life is too short to own cheap guns...
NRA Member / TSRA Member

Pluto

Post by Pluto »

CoolBreeze wrote:
Pluto wrote:

If you are over 60 days from the time they received your app:

This is one way:
http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/Home.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Okay, well I sent him an email so I guess we'll see what happens. I hope he can make some way on it.

slr001
Posts in topic: 34

Post by slr001 »

gsansing wrote:How are you guys getting through? I must have called 4-5 times on Monday, 4-5 times on Tuesday, and three times today; and all I get is the pre-recorded message. When you push 1 for CHl, the system tell me there is a high call demand and says to try back later and then hangs up.
Just hit redial...

Yesterday I got the please call back message after hitting 1. The 4th redial it went through. Pretty long wait after that, but I have a headset so I just did other things while enjoying their muzak.

slr001
Posts in topic: 34

Post by slr001 »

Well, I got an interesting phone call today from Austin.

I am at the 60+day mark. Have called a few times and always gotten a different story. Yesterday I was told my application was missing the paperwork. I know many here get the same thing and resend. But I challenged her and told her it was sent electronically and they absolutely do have it. She put me on hold and 20 seconds later miraculously rustled up my paperwork. When I asked to speak to a supervisor I was hung up on.

Today, I contacted my State Representative and Senators offices via email. This was the 2nd email to both offices. I let them know this was my second attempt to seek help from their office. I gave a short description of my problem, and the run around. about an hour after sending, I get a call from Austin. It was Ms. Caballero, she, or her office is who sends out the confirmation email when you send in your documents. She left me a very nice voicemail, letting me know they had my app and all my paperwork. It was being actively worked on and would be finished in the next few days (outside of any issues) and definitely done by the end of the week. She left me here direct phone number (and no I won't give it out) and I called her back and thanked her for the update.

So, was this a result of asking to speak to a supervisor? Or a result of contacting my local representatives? I assume the latter.

We will see if I get my plastic sometime next week.
Last edited by slr001 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pluto

Post by Pluto »

slr001 wrote:Well, I got an interesting phone call today from Austin.

I am at the 60+day mark. Have called a few times and always gotten a different story. Yesterday I was told my application was missing the paperwork. I know many here get the same thing and resend. But I challenged her and told her it was sent electronically and they absolutely do have it. She put me on hold and 20 seconds later miraculously rustled up my paperwork. When I asked to speak to a supervisor I was hung up on.

Today, I contacted my State Representative and Senators offices via email. This was the 2nd email to both offices. I let them know this was my second attempt to seek help from their office. I gave a short description of my problem, and the run around. about an hour after sending, I get a call from Austin. It was Ms. Caballero, she, or her office is who sends out the confirmation email when you send in your documents. She left me a very nice email, letting me know they had my app and all my paperwork. It was being actively worked on and would be finished in the next few days (outside of any issues) and definitely done by the end of the week. She left me here direct phone number (and no I won't give it out) and I called her back and thanked her for the update.

So, was this a result of asking to speak to a supervisor? Or a result of contacting my local representatives? I assume the latter.

We will see if I get my plastic sometime next week.
I hope to get the same luck you have right now. I contacted my state rep today and am hoping for a reply.

tkennemer
Posts in topic: 3

Post by tkennemer »

My husband and I FINALLY got ours in the mail yesterday. Here's our timeline:

4/30 - Mailed all required documents
5/2 - Documents received by DPS (I opted for delivery receipt so I would know when they received it)
6/16 - Called DPS to check status; told that we weren't in the system and to call back in two weeks
6/25 - Checked online and status changed to "mailed"
7/2 - Received CHL's

Received licenses exactly 60 days from when they received our documents. From the time in mid-April when we submitted and paid for our applications online, the status never changed from "Application processed online"...until 6/25. A very frustrating ride to say the least, but we have them now. Yay!

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”