Any SCAR fans here?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

cajunautoxer
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Any SCAR fans here?

Post by cajunautoxer »

shipwreck wrote:
JSThane wrote:It's nifty, but...

But does it do anything that my Stag AR won't do? In the last several years, I've just gotten so accustomed to the Stoner design that I don't know if anything else would work as well -for me- or better. Since you said you've had several different rifle designs, what's your take, and why does the SCAR beat out other designs?
I hear that all the time from the AR fans. And, many AR fans will never be satisfied with anything but an AR. If that is what ya like - nothing wrong with that.

I personally like piston rifle designs - much, much easier to clean.

Admittedly, my very first rifle was a PS90 - I had two at one time, and I still have one. It spoiled me, as it takes less than 5 minutes to clean it. It's actually a blowback design, but it runs super, super clean...

ARs are more labor intensive when it comes to cleaning. The amount of time can vary depending on what you consider "clean." Piston 5.56 rifles are usually a snap to clean - the piston itself is the dirtiest part, and ya only really need to soak it in solvent and come back later and scrub it with a scotchbright pad later.

The SCAR is supposed to be statistically more reliable, but most people don't put enough rounds thru a rifle to make a difference one way or the other. Of course, for every few people I see who talk about AR reliability, I've seen some that complain that they are always having problems. And, these are not newbies either...

Admittedly, parts are more expensive for the SCAR, but I really like the ergonomics and the rifle itself. And, I can sdtock a few common spare parts if need be. EVerything else should last a while on it...

It's sorta the same argument - is the $500 1911 the same as the $3000 1911? It's really what you want.

I previously had an MSAR STG AUG I liked, and also had a Steyr AUG A3 earlier this year.

But, I got the Steyr when the SCAR prices jumped over $3k during the height of all that madness. Wasn't gonna pay that. During the summer, I picked up a SCAR again and it had me wanting. I ended up selling the Steyr AUG and using the $ for the SCAR. I shoot better groups with the SCAR, and i think it's what I really wanted to begin with. I did want the FDE one - but I got the one I have at almost cost to the dealer. It wasn't worth $300 or so just for the color...
I clean my ARs twice a year. Thhey usually have around 1500 rounds thru them. Pull the BCG spray with break cleaner and upper. Take a Otis patch and run that 3-5 times and I"m done

Salty1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Salty1 »

Picked up the SCAR 17s and put on a Bushnell ACOG knock-off I had here. Took it to the range and had a few observations, first of all the recoil was much less than I thought it would be and shooting left handed it threw the brass clear of me every time. The Bushnell I put on it will not work as the dot covered the sighting targets that I was shooting at 100 yards away so it is now off. I only shot about 30 rounds through it, no sense turning money into noise until it is set up the way I want and accurate at distances. Currently I am still looking at optics so I can use the 308 round to its full potential, thinking possibly the Nikon M-308 although I have more research to do. Initial impressions is that it is a fine rifle and easy to handle and maneuver I expect sub MOA as FN reliability is always there.

Salty1

The Marshal
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Marshal »

Well look what showed up at my place today! Woot.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

Sweet! :thumbs2: :thumbs2:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Salty1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Salty1 »

The Marshal wrote:Well look what showed up at my place today! Woot.

[ Image ]
Very nice, quick question. Is the scope the Nikon M-308? If so what do you think of it and what rectile did you pick? I have been thinking of putting the M-308 on mine and would like some info as to clarity and ease of use. .

Thanks................
Salty1

The Marshal
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Marshal »

Yes sir, you are correct!

Nikon M-308 with BDC 800 reticle.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”