May 2014

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

EnigmaEvo8
Posts in topic: 14

Re: May 2014

Post by EnigmaEvo8 »

thisguykai wrote:04/22/2014 Did Online Registration and Paid Fee
05/17/2014 Took CHL Class/FingerPrinting
05/21/2014 Mailed Packet to Austin, TX

29 Days and still waiting. Already did my CCW shopping (Glock 30Gen4) and waiting for AlienGear to ship my holster.
Sitting in the same boat. Picked me up a glock 23 and contacting alien gear to swap out my shells to fit the new glock. You'll enjoy the alien gear fits well and stays put.
Online Application 4/29/14 Fingerprints 5/5/14
CHL Class 5/31/14 Documents E-Mailed 5/31/14
Documents received confirmation 6/2/14
CHL in hand 7/17/14

deadstick
Posts in topic: 6

Post by deadstick »

My wife and I have been waiting 45 and 50 days respectively with no updates. Called DPS and got the standard wait 60days response so I decided to contact my state representative. I wanted to voice my concern over the lack of communication with the whole process. At the very least they should be able to update the web status page and let you know that the documents were received and everything is in order even before they get to starting processing.

The representative replied back and said they'll look into the wait times and will also get specific information about our applications. I don't want to jump any lines I just want to know our documents are in order and everything's ready to go when they get to us. Anyway we'll see how it goes.

I don't think its a bad idea for everyone waiting to contact their state representatives to discuss the wait times and lack of communication. If everyone did it maybe "something" would be done.

kaos
Posts in topic: 10

Post by kaos »

CR88 wrote:
TVGuy wrote:
kebn51 wrote:
CR88 wrote:Just got my plastic today and I couldn't be happier. 11 days from mailbox to mailbox. :txflag:

If you're not currently playing, I believe you might want to start playing the lottery!!!!
I just don't even see how 11 days is possible. I know I'm new here, but I'm skeptical on that. Is there a single other person that's ever heard of anything close to that time?
I was just as surprised. I think there was a guy that got his in like 14 days. I applied for the veteran CHL, and I used to have a security clearance in the military, so maybe that helped my application get processed faster. Other than that, I don't know what to say, good luck, I guess.
heck I did the same thing. Apply for veteran chl, had the military security clearance, have the TWIC card, TSA Pre-check (took a day to get cleared), have had security badges for two major airports. I think its pure luck and randomly done on whose fast tracked.
" A nation that does not honor it's heroes, will not long endure." Abe Lincoln

Pluto
Posts in topic: 70

Post by Pluto »

Day 39 and still hanging in there. I completed my shipping as well and ended up with a Walther PK380 and a CrossBreed SuperTuck. After buying those things the wait time seems to have slowed down a lot.

Chetter818
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Chetter818 »

I am sitting at 45 days from confirmation they received my info with no update and have sent countless emails and numerous phone calls with no response. I just want to know they have my packet and if they think they need anything else and can not get a response from anyone. SO i also just sent an email to my state representative informing him of the difficulties. I also stated that i am aware of the 60 day timeline to issue, deny or request more info so i will post the response i get. Not trying to make mine more important than any one elses just figure if enough people start complaining about the situation maybe they will be forced to bring in more people to help out.
" Nothin To It But To Do It"

Chet

jmra
Posts in topic: 42

Post by jmra »

29 Days and still waiting. Already did my CCW shopping (Glock 30Gen4) and waiting for AlienGear to ship my holster.
In all fairness, DPS should be put on the clock when they actually received the packet. Did you send it signature required?
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

bryan1980
Posts in topic: 15

Post by bryan1980 »

deadstick wrote:My wife and I have been waiting 45 and 50 days respectively with no updates. Called DPS and got the standard wait 60days response so I decided to contact my state representative. I wanted to voice my concern over the lack of communication with the whole process. At the very least they should be able to update the web status page and let you know that the documents were received and everything is in order even before they get to starting processing.

The representative replied back and said they'll look into the wait times and will also get specific information about our applications. I don't want to jump any lines I just want to know our documents are in order and everything's ready to go when they get to us. Anyway we'll see how it goes.

I don't think its a bad idea for everyone waiting to contact their state representatives to discuss the wait times and lack of communication. If everyone did it maybe "something" would be done.
^^^This. It's bad enough having to wait 60+ days for the license, but to have to wait that long just to get an update is absurd. The way I see it, at $140 a pop for the standard fee (what the majority of people will be paying), it seems like the state is making plenty of money. Enough to staff-up the CHL Division, anyways, with the volume of applications they're supposedly receiving. There's a genuine demand for it, so the state needs to respond accordingly.

I'm not going to hesitate to contact my state rep. on day 61. Luckily, my rep seems to be very solidly pro-2A. Unfortunately, not everyone is that lucky. If your rep happens to be an anti, who knows if they'll take any action at all if they're called upon.
5/21/14 - Submitted online app.
5/24/14 - Class
5/27/14 - Submitted CHL-100 & checklist
7/18/14 - Plastic in hand

deadstick
Posts in topic: 6

Post by deadstick »

So good news and bad news. Within the hour of talking to my representative, guess who calls? The DPS calls me, wow! After numerous emails and calls going ignored, they actually call little old me.

Bad news, same old canned response of we don't see you yet so wait a few more weeks and maybe you'll be in our system. Arrrrggggg! Really? This is simple stuff people. I filed electronically and gave you identifying information like my DL#. It must go somewhere electronically and can be queried by something like a DL#. Would take them 5 seconds to tell you this and if this is what actually happens this could also be displayed on the online status page so no people would need to be involved. Sounds like your info just goes into this digital black hole and occasionally it spits out someone's application to be worked on. Very frustrating that they cannot tell me this basic info especially when everything is digital.

Anyway replied back to my state rep and we'll go from there.

jmra

Post by jmra »

deadstick wrote:So good news and bad news. Within the hour of talking to my representative, guess who calls? The DPS calls me, wow! After numerous emails and calls going ignored, they actually call little old me.

Bad news, same old canned response of we don't see you yet so wait a few more weeks and maybe you'll be in our system. Arrrrggggg! Really? This is simple stuff people. I filed electronically and gave you identifying information like my DL#. It must go somewhere electronically and can be queried by something like a DL#. Would take them 5 seconds to tell you this and if this is what actually happens this could also be displayed on the online status page so no people would need to be involved. Sounds like your info just goes into this digital black hole and occasionally it spits out someone's application to be worked on. Very frustrating that they cannot tell me this basic info especially when everything is digital.

I think you are being fed a line of bull. When I did my renewal (pre Sep) I submitted the info electronically. I wasn't sure if I had done it correctly so I called the next day. They were able to verify immediately that they had received the email and attachments.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

thisguykai
Posts in topic: 4

Post by thisguykai »

jmra wrote:

In all fairness, DPS should be put on the clock when they actually received the packet. Did you send it signature required?
Did not. I gave it to my GF to mail and being late for work, I didn't specify on how to mail it. Hopefully they did received it, if not then I will cross that bridge once I get there.
04/22/2014 Did Online Registration and Paid Fee
07/17/2014 Status Changed with Options to report Lost cards, etc.

slr001
Posts in topic: 34

Post by slr001 »

jmra wrote:

Why is that? If I submit my application electronically on week 1, and file my CHL-100 electronically on week 3. But they don't dust the cobwebs off of it until week 9. Why does it matter if they start the clock on week 1 or week 3?

They have no way of knowing that the paperwork was a week or two late, They certainly demonstrate that by the fact that if I call on week 6 to ask if they have everything they tell me they cant see it.

But yes I do believe they should be put on a clock.

jmra

Post by jmra »

slr001 wrote:
jmra wrote:

Why is that? If I submit my application electronically on week 1, and file my CHL-100 electronically on week 3. But they don't dust the cobwebs off of it until week 9. Why does it matter if they start the clock on week 1 or week 3?

They have no way of knowing that the paperwork was a week or two late, They certainly demonstrate that by the fact that if I call on week 6 to ask if they have everything they tell me they cant see it.
Because they don't start until they have received the completed application along with all associated documentation.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

slr001

Post by slr001 »

deadstick wrote:So good news and bad news. Within the hour of talking to my representative, guess who calls? The DPS calls me, wow! After numerous emails and calls going ignored, they actually call little old me.

Why do I have this vision of the CHL office...

Large smoke filled room filled with wooden desks. An old rotary phone and a typewriter sit on the desk. A wire mesh in/out box overflowing with unfinished applications, Old applications that have fallen off the desk sit under it on in the isle ways with footprints on them. Employees sit at the desks looking miserable like they hate being there, watching the clock for 5:00 to arrive. My application in hand when 5:00 hits, and it gets chucked under the next desk over.

slr001

Post by slr001 »

jmra wrote:
slr001 wrote:
jmra wrote:

Because they don't start until they have received the completed application along with all associated documentation.
They don't start until they get to it. Usually 5 to 10 weeks past submission. By then the paperwork has caught up. Prior to that if asked they cant tell you if the paperwork is even there. So how do they know until they start processing?

Doesn't matter to me mine was sent within a week of each other.

When I asked if they had everything they needed, they told me they could not tell. They couldn't see my app, and wouldn't until at least 60 days had passed.

jmra

Post by jmra »

slr001 wrote:
jmra wrote:
slr001 wrote:
jmra wrote:

They don't start until they get to it. Usually 5 to 10 weeks past submission. By then the paperwork has caught up. Prior to that if asked they cant tell you if the paperwork is even there. So how do they know until they start processing?

Doesn't matter to me mine was sent within a week of each other.

When I asked if they had everything they needed, they told me they could not tell. They couldn't see my app, and wouldn't until at least 60 days had passed.
Really? Look down a few posts and you will see a member that had an 11 day turn around. Many members have been reporting plastic in hand in less than 60 days (mailbox to mailbox).
They were able to tell me the day after I submitted my renewal online that they had everything they needed.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”