May 2014

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

slr001
Posts in topic: 34

Re: May 2014

Post by slr001 »

infoman wrote:You're way too early to be calling them for status. It takes like 6-8 weeks at best before they can tell you your docs are all there.
Not true at all...

See my post above. I called after 30 days, and mine was stuck because of a SS# problem. It is moving again... Taking the 6-8 week advice I have read here (more than once) I could have let it sit stuck for another 2-4 weeks.

infoman
Posts in topic: 11

Post by infoman »

I'm just saying if you call them up this week, you're not going to get a status.

jmra
Posts in topic: 42

Post by jmra »

infoman wrote:I'm just saying if you call them up this week, you're not going to get a status.
I called them a week after submitting my renewal online. They were able to tell me that they had in fact received all of my information and that everything was in order.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

infoman
Posts in topic: 11

Post by infoman »

Renewals are completely different from New Apps.

Selina Kyle
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Selina Kyle »

I take my class with Crossfire tomorrow! :hurry:

Then the waiting will really begin!
"His fist is big, but my gun's bigger. He'll find out when I pull the trigger!"
Ruger LCP
NRA Member

jmra

Post by jmra »

infoman wrote:Renewals are completely different from New Apps.
I have seen a number of examples of initial apps where members have been successful in getting info early. If someone has questions or concerns I would urge them to call.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

tpynes
Posts in topic: 4

Post by tpynes »

I submitted mine May 3rd. Called today to see when they would expect to have all my documentation in their process ready and be able to look at it....they said another month...stated it is taking 2 months currently to get to an application. Just FYI

jmra

Post by jmra »

tpynes wrote:I submitted mine May 3rd. Called today to see when they would expect to have all my documentation in their process ready and be able to look at it....they said another month...stated it is taking 2 months currently to get to an application. Just FYI
Welcome to the forum. I wouldn't put much stock in that response as many now are reporting start to finish timelines under 60 days.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Pluto
Posts in topic: 70

Post by Pluto »

jmra wrote:
tpynes wrote:I submitted mine May 3rd. Called today to see when they would expect to have all my documentation in their process ready and be able to look at it....they said another month...stated it is taking 2 months currently to get to an application. Just FYI
Welcome to the forum. I wouldn't put much stock in that response as many now are reporting start to finish timelines under 60 days.
I got told the same thing today...to wait another month, but on the other hand they've said that to others and less than a month later they had updates

llucas
Posts in topic: 20

Post by llucas »

I called today as 30 days have passed since final documents submitted. After a 30 minute hold on the phone I reached someone. Took my name and drivers license number to look up my application. I was told he could not find confirmation that my application process has started or documents received. I was told to check back in two to three weeks. At this point I am not even in the queue which means they probably haven't even started the background check which in and of itself takes a minimum of three weeks these days. I looked at the last annual CHL stats posted on the website: if applications have increased any over the last annual report, they would need to process between 800 to 900 applicants per working day (based on five day work week) just to keep up. FYI.
4/23/14 -- applied online; 4/29/14 -- electronic fingerprints.
5/7/14 -- docs uploaded on chl site; 5/13/14 -- docs mailed.
9/5/14 -- plastic arrived in the mailbox

mtnthundr2
Posts in topic: 26

Post by mtnthundr2 »

llucas wrote:I called today as 30 days have passed since final documents submitted. After a 30 minute hold on the phone I reached someone. Took my name and drivers license number to look up my application. I was told he could not find confirmation that my application process has started or documents received. I was told to check back in two to three weeks. At this point I am not even in the queue which means they probably haven't even started the background check which in and of itself takes a minimum of three weeks these days. I looked at the last annual CHL stats posted on the website: if applications have increased any over the last annual report, they would need to process between 800 to 900 applicants per working day (based on five day work week) just to keep up. FYI.
llucas, have you checked the website to see if there is a status change/documents received? My status updated after 1 week, it showed documents received and what is in 'review'. I had a hard time when I first went to the website to check the status .... I couldn't find exactly where I was supposed to look. Here's the address to the website to check the status, https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps/chl/login.do" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; its the same place we all go to do our online application, but this time we are considered a "returning user" and access our info from the "login" button on the bottom right of the screen. First you have to hit the login button then type in your DL # and DOB, then "continue". It will bring you to your status page that shows this info; (or something like this!)
Application : Received
Fingerprints : Complete
Affidavits : Received
DL or ID : Valid
Citizenship : No documentation required
Passport photo holder : Received
Photo : Received
Proof of Classroom training : Received
Proof of Proficiency training : Received
Fee : Received
Background Check : Under review
Concealed Handgun License : Print pending completion of application review

Each line is colored either yellow or green and has a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in it or a green circle with a checkmark in it. If it were me, and 30 days had passed and I didn't see any updates, I would seriously consider submitting all my documentation again through the website, http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/contact/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; select the program (concealed handgun) from the drop down menu, choose "submit CHL supporting documents" from the drop down menu, fill in all the info, click "choose file" to browse your computer for the correct documents/file (hint, I scanned all of my documents into one file so all i had to do was attach only one file), and then at the bottom of the tabs for "choose file" you'll see an "ATTACH" tab/button, be sure to click ATTACH once you have attached all of your documents BEFORE you hit "submit form"
I hope this helped, I am, by no means, an expert at this ..... I must have just stumbled across the correct place to submit my documents as I received a status update 7 days after submission. I'm sure I still have a long wait ahead of me for the license but at least I know they have my stuff .... Good luck to you, I hope you hear soon that all documents have been received and are in review!
PS .... within a day of my online submission of documents, I had an email confirmation that documents were received......because you never received that email conf I would DEF upload them again. As an FYI ....the first time I attached them (and thought I did it right) I realized that I hadn't done it right because I didn't see that ** ATTACH ** button at the bottom of the 'attach file' column .... I had to go back and do it again, once I clicked the ATTACH button then submit form I got a confirmation page, "thank you for contacting TXDPS, your inquiry has been successfully been submitted for a response"
5-28-14 Upload documents - 6-26-14 plastic in hand
~ Never let your fear decide your fate ~

Pluto
Posts in topic: 70

Post by Pluto »

mtnthundr2 wrote:
llucas wrote:I called today as 30 days have passed since final documents submitted. After a 30 minute hold on the phone I reached someone. Took my name and drivers license number to look up my application. I was told he could not find confirmation that my application process has started or documents received. I was told to check back in two to three weeks. At this point I am not even in the queue which means they probably haven't even started the background check which in and of itself takes a minimum of three weeks these days. I looked at the last annual CHL stats posted on the website: if applications have increased any over the last annual report, they would need to process between 800 to 900 applicants per working day (based on five day work week) just to keep up. FYI.
llucas, have you checked the website to see if there is a status change/documents received? My status updated after 1 week, it showed documents received and what is in 'review'. I had a hard time when I first went to the website to check the status .... I couldn't find exactly where I was supposed to look. Here's the address to the website to check the status, https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps/chl/login.do" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; its the same place we all go to do our online application, but this time we are considered a "returning user" and access our info from the "login" button on the bottom right of the screen. First you have to hit the login button then type in your DL # and DOB, then "continue". It will bring you to your status page that shows this info; (or something like this!)
Application : Received
Fingerprints : Complete
Affidavits : Received
DL or ID : Valid
Citizenship : No documentation required
Passport photo holder : Received
Photo : Received
Proof of Classroom training : Received
Proof of Proficiency training : Received
Fee : Received
Background Check : Under review
Concealed Handgun License : Print pending completion of application review

Each line is colored either yellow or green and has a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in it or a green circle with a checkmark in it. If it were me, and 30 days had passed and I didn't see any updates, I would seriously consider submitting all my documentation again through the website, http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/contact/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; select the program (concealed handgun) from the drop down menu, choose "submit CHL supporting documents" from the drop down menu, fill in all the info, click "choose file" to browse your computer for the correct documents/file (hint, I scanned all of my documents into one file so all i had to do was attach only one file), and then at the bottom of the tabs for "choose file" you'll see an "ATTACH" tab/button, be sure to click ATTACH once you have attached all of your documents BEFORE you hit "submit form"
I hope this helped, I am, by no means, an expert at this ..... I must have just stumbled across the correct place to submit my documents as I received a status update 7 days after submission. I'm sure I still have a long wait ahead of me for the license but at least I know they have my stuff .... Good luck to you, I hope you hear soon that all documents have been received and are in review!
PS .... within a day of my online submission of documents, I had an email confirmation that documents were received......because you never received that email conf I would DEF upload them again. As an FYI ....the first time I attached them (and thought I did it right) I realized that I hadn't done it right because I didn't see that ** ATTACH ** button at the bottom of the 'attach file' column .... I had to go back and do it again, once I clicked the ATTACH button then submit form I got a confirmation page, "thank you for contacting TXDPS, your inquiry has been successfully been submitted for a response"
You either got lucky or got in quicker because you emailed it in. I mailed mine via USPS.

EnigmaEvo8

Post by EnigmaEvo8 »

I'd say luck. Lots of people email theirs in and still wait upwards to 60 days. So somehow he sneaked in and got real lucky.
Online Application 4/29/14 Fingerprints 5/5/14
CHL Class 5/31/14 Documents E-Mailed 5/31/14
Documents received confirmation 6/2/14
CHL in hand 7/17/14

Selina Kyle

Post by Selina Kyle »

I am about to join the waiting game with y'all. I took my class today and will mail my info on Monday.

If anyone in the DFW area hasn't taken the class, I highly recommend Crossfire!!!! These folks are so efficient and make the class very enjoyable. I was so impressed with how knowledgeable they are, and the fact that I was able to get everything done at one time was awesome. My husband took their class 5 years ago and had an equally positive experience.

*I have no affiliation with Crossfire.

I cannot get over how easy this process has been so far. I think the hardest part for me will be waiting!
"His fist is big, but my gun's bigger. He'll find out when I pull the trigger!"
Ruger LCP
NRA Member

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”