Police Academy Adventures

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

KRM45
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Police Academy Adventures

Post by KRM45 »

nightmare69 wrote:I got the job. After I pass my test tomorrow I come back to get sworn in as a deputy. I have to supply all my own gear so I need everything. Any websites to find all my duty gear will be appreciated. I will order my firearm ASAP and find a holster.
Wow, I've never seen an agency hire someone so quickly. No background, no psych, no polygraph, just hired. Congrats.

There are lots of places to get duty gear. GT is good, you can also try LAPG, policehq, even Amazon has most stuff. Buy the best stuff you can afford, especially the holster. Get light weight nylon if you are allowed to. I like open top mag holders due to their speed, open cuff cases, and kydex for the holster.

Good luck in FTO/PTO.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 17

Post by srothstein »

Congratulations.

And I second Excaliber's recommendations of Gall's and GT's. I still keep both of their web sites on my bookmarked favorites and get their catalogs.

I also agree with him that nylon is the way to go now, in general. I really like some of the newer nylon that looks like leather. Be careful though, as some agencies still require real leather or may specify what type of finish you must have (smooth, basketweave, gloss, etc.). I will also point out that leather, while heavier and requiring a little more maintenance work, can be made to last your entire career. there are a lot of twenty or thirty year old leather holsters still in use.

If allowed, you might also check out the kydex holsters. This is a hard plastic (well, maybe not plastic int he scientific sense but what all of us will call plastic anyway). The good ones are very light and last well. It also has the advantage of staying open so one handed holstering is easy. In particular, I liked my Blackhawk Serpa Levell III holster.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
nightmare69
Posts in topic: 193

Post by nightmare69 »

KRM45 wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:I got the job. After I pass my test tomorrow I come back to get sworn in as a deputy. I have to supply all my own gear so I need everything. Any websites to find all my duty gear will be appreciated. I will order my firearm ASAP and find a holster.
Wow, I've never seen an agency hire someone so quickly. No background, no psych, no polygraph, just hired. Congrats.

There are lots of places to get duty gear. GT is good, you can also try LAPG, policehq, even Amazon has most stuff. Buy the best stuff you can afford, especially the holster. Get light weight nylon if you are allowed to. I like open top mag holders due to their speed, open cuff cases, and kydex for the holster.

Good luck in FTO/PTO.
My family knows the sheriff really well and that is what landed me the job. I did a 168 question psych, drug test, health physical today also. One question on the psych test that I had no idea what they were talking about went like this. It was a true false that said, I like to play drop the handkerchief. Is that some kind of game?
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

As far as my gear, I'm ordering my firearm tomorrow and possibly a Safariland level II holster. I'm talking to a few retired cops to see of they are willing to sell some of their gear if it's in decent shape. This department, as far as I know, does not have a policy on the material of your duty gear. I'll look into nylon.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

jmra
Posts in topic: 13

Post by jmra »

nightmare69 wrote:
KRM45 wrote:

Good luck in FTO/PTO.
My family knows the sheriff really well and that is what landed me the job. I did a 168 question psych, drug test, health physical today also. One question on the psych test that I had no idea what they were talking about went like this. It was a true false that said, I like to play drop the handkerchief. Is that some kind of game?
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictiona ... ndkerchief
a game in which one player runs behind the other players as they stand in a circle and drops a handkerchief behind one of them who then must pick up the handkerchief and run around the circle after the first player and try to tag, catch, or kiss the first player before he or she gets to the vacant place in the circle left by the second player
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

gigag04
Posts in topic: 21

Post by gigag04 »

I have piles of gear if nylon is ok.

Highly recommend ASP cuffs if you can afford them.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

gigag04 wrote:I have piles of gear if nylon is ok.

Ill ask tomorrow and get back with you. Would you be willing to sell any assuming its in good shape to a broke rookie?
5/20-Plastic in hand.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 35

Post by mojo84 »

Do you prefer nylon over the leather? There's something cool about leather but I'm heading more guys are switching.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 12

Post by carlson1 »

mojo84 wrote:

Do you prefer nylon over the leather? There's something cool about leather but I'm heading more guys are switching.
Depends on the departments sometimes. My sons department as just required the officers to change to leather. I know the Game Wardens are required to wear nylon when on the boats, but leather when not on the water.

I personally like leather, but I am old school.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 35

Post by mojo84 »

Carlson, I too prefer leather over nylon. Guess I'm part of the old school crowd. I've just heard several talk about how much better on their bodies nylon seems to be. Then again, it may be a fad thing. Either one, I'm glad I don't have to wear all that gear all day.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Nylon gear is significantly more functional, tactical (less reflective and more quiet), and lighter. It is also more comfortable if you run an inner/outer belt combo that Velcros together.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 43

Post by Excaliber »

gigag04 wrote:Nylon gear is significantly more functional, tactical (less reflective and more quiet), and lighter. It is also more comfortable if you run an inner/outer belt combo that Velcros together.
Leather is sharper looking - when it is properly maintained. That takes constant attention. Its advantages stop there.

Nylon is more flexible, comes in padded belt versions that really make a difference when your belt weights 12 pounds, and can be cleaned by throwing it in the sink, mixing in some dishwashing liquid, and using a scrub brush to get the mud out of everything. The three button clasps are hard for a suspect to open quickly, and the nylon looks great after years of use with just an occasional washing after a groundfight in the mud. It's the way to go if the department allows it.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Keith B »

Excaliber wrote:Leather is sharper looking - when it is properly maintained. That takes constant attention. Its advantages stop there.
We didn't have the option of nylon when I was a reserve officer. However, a couple of our reserves were not known for being the best kempt when it came to their uniforms and gear. I always kept my brass, belt and wellington boots with a good shine. Mainly to avoid the wrath of one of the Sargent's whose former life was as a Marine DI. I never liked that DI voice when something wasn't top notch on my uniform. :shock: :lol:

As for today, I would look at what most of the others are using where you are. Going mainstream when you are a newbie can keep the heat off of you for looking like a schmoozer or a slob. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Nylon can also be rejuvenated with black shoe polish ;)

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”