Police Academy Adventures

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

n5wd
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Police Academy Adventures

Post by n5wd »

nightmare69 wrote:We were shown this video at the end of the academy. Any Paul Harvey fans here?

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yep, a big Paul Harvey fan... But I kept waiting to hear him say "And that's the other side of the story!"... Just trained that way, I guess.

:reddevil

Congratulations on graduation from the Academy, and good luck with the certification exam!
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Topic author
nightmare69
Posts in topic: 193

Post by nightmare69 »

sbrawley wrote: How do you feel about online classes? I'm currently employed with the Harris County SO, in Houston, as a jailer and I graduated last May with my Associate's and am now working on my BA at Sam Houston. Majority of my classes are online except for the one required in person class (GI Bill requirement). I find the online classes much easier and I am able to work on them on my own time. Earlier this week I applied with the OIG for an open position in Ft. Worth. They didn't require a degree if you had experience, but if you didn't have experience then they did want a degree with courses related to the line of work. Since I'll be graduating next May, I figured I should apply now to start this process because I hear it can take a year or two before they hire you. Whatever you decide, good luck! :thumbs2:
They started a program working through the college to get your associates degree in criminal justice that is mostly online and designed for the working LEO. I would also get 24 credit hours for going through the basic police academy. I plan on once I get back on my feet going or it.

If you work as a jailer in Harris county, my hat is off to you. Do you plan on going through the police academy? Im sure they would send you through.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

They never explained to is at the academy where we can and cannot carry as an LEO. I've done some reaserch on the LEO safe act as well but it seems like I'm reading in circles. Someone give me the cliffs on where I can carry.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 17

Post by srothstein »

In Texas law, there are almost no restrictions on where you can carry as a police officer. That is open or concealed, on or off duty. Most agencies will have policies that govern this for you, but the law is pretty much wide open.

If you are a commissioned officer in Texas, the LEOSA lets you carry almost everywhere in the country with the pretty common restrictions. The first is that the weapon must be concealed. The second is that you must obey all restrictions that would apply to a CHL in that state. So, if a no guns sign is good enough, you cannot carry there, etc.

The reality of both is that you have to use some common sense. In San Antonio, I would carry concealed because SAPD required it. When I went back once as an officer from a different department, I was stopped by an SAPD officer because I was printing and he told me I needed to get it concealed better. In Luling I almost never concealed but everyone in town knew I was an officer. When i was with TABC, we almost never concealed but I did make sure the badge was always visible right by the weapon. There are rumors that some areas, notably New York and New Jersey (and to a lesser extent Chicago), do not obey the LEOSA and might arrest you anyway. New Jersey has laws restricting the possession of hollow point ammunition and my friends on the Philadelphia PD warned me the last time I was there that NJ police would arrest even the PA cops, so do not place faith on Texas credentials being honored.

So, as I said, common sense should prevail on your part. Talking with the exepereinced officers in your area and following their lead is also a good idea.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Thanks a lot. Now I know that I still cannot carry concealed at the boardwalk in Bossier city.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

FL450
Posts in topic: 3

Post by FL450 »

nightmare69 wrote:Thanks a lot. Now I know that I still cannot carry concealed at the boardwalk in Bossier city.
Except Bass Pro as long as you dont exit thru the rear door onto the boardwalk.
I love the sound smell of jet fuel in the morning.
Fat thumbs + IPhone = errors, please forgive.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

I got the job. After I pass my test tomorrow I come back to get sworn in as a deputy. I have to supply all my own gear so I need everything. Any websites to find all my duty gear will be appreciated. I will order my firearm ASAP and find a holster.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 35

Post by mojo84 »

Congratulations! Wish you the best.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 43

Post by Excaliber »

Congratulations!!

GT Distributors and Galls are two of the best sources for police gear.

Buy the best gear you can. It's the cheapest way to go because you won't have to replace it every year or two and it does the job better than any of the lower end stuff which will fail at the worst possible time and will never perform the way you want it to.

The difference between Uncle Mike's and Bianchi / Safariland / Galco is huge.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 35

Post by mojo84 »

Excaliber, I have several friends that are moving away from leather and going to high quality nylon or whatever it is. They say it is lighter and easier on their bodies due to it being lighter. Any thoughts or recommendations for the future officer in this regard?
Last edited by mojo84 on Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Thanks a lot guys for the congrats. Im going to have to borrow most of my gear for now from the department and they understand why. First thing I need to get after my firearm is a holster and belt along with mag pouches.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 43

Post by Excaliber »

mojo84 wrote:Excaliber, I have several friends that are moving away from leather and going to high quality nylon or whatever it is. They say it is lighter and easier on their bodies due to it being lighter. Any thoughts or recommendations for the future officer in this regard?
Yes.

Nylon is the way to go!

It's lighter, more comfortable, easier to maintain, doesn't care about getting wet, doesn't need to be polished, doesn't crack - what's not to like?
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”