Police Academy Adventures

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

WildBill
Posts in topic: 53

Re: Police Academy Adventures

Post by WildBill »

nightmare69 wrote: Im going to look at all my options after my other interview Monday. The interview today was for a jailer position but I would be badged in as a deputy, that is a plus. The benefits are all paid and decent for a smaller county. The pay sucks but I guess its fair for a jailer position. 12hr shifts, 4 on and 4 off, any overtime is comp time though, I hate comp time. He asked me if Im going to work for the first department who hires me and I said yes. I cannot afford to hold out for anyone.
I don't know about PDs, but I am leery of any company that offers "comp time" instead of OT. In my experience, these places are usually so understaffed that people never get all of their time off that they were promised.

I don't know your personal situation, why "you cannot afford to hold out". Whatever it is, don't give that information to a potential employer. :rules:
NRA Endowment Member

gigag04
Posts in topic: 21

Post by gigag04 »

nightmare69 wrote:
srothstein wrote:One of the things I have always advised new officers (and my kids) is to remember the first priority. More often than your situation, this is a conflict between primary job and secondary job, but I have seen this also.

You need a full time permanent job. You want to be a patrolman. If you take the temporary job (assuming it is offered) and turn down the permanent position because it is jail to start, you have probably written one agency off your list for later jobs. If you turn down the part-time position because you were offered a full time position, you have probably kept both agencies as potential future employers.

There is an old saying about dancing with the one who brought you, and you might want to consider that. Assuming both agencies offer a position, my personal advice is to take the full time slot and then ask the part time agency if you could work for them less than 32 hours per week (maybe 16?).

If you do not take the full time position right away, then I will second the other advice and tell you to be upfront with them on why not. That way you might keep them as a potential future employer and not burn the bridge. I will point out that there has always been a long standing rivalry between patrol and corrections, so if it is career corrections people doing the interview, this may not help. If it is senior officers who have done both, it probably will.
Im going to look at all my options after my other interview Monday. The interview today was for a jailer position but I would be badged in as a deputy, that is a plus. The benefits are all paid and decent for a smaller county. The pay sucks but I guess its fair for a jailer position. 12hr shifts, 4 on and 4 off, any overtime is comp time though, I hate comp time. He asked me if Im going to work for the first department who hires me and I said yes. I cannot afford to hold out for anyone.

They gave me a personal history statement and told me to turn it in Monday. I asked them if I could turn it in later in the week cause I had a interview and needed to study for my state test, they said thats fine. I hope that wasn't a unreasonable request but there was no way I could get all the required paperwork together plus fill out this huge application by Monday. I have to go and get a certified copy of my birth certificate among other paperwork that will take time to get. Anyways, today was the last day of class and I graduate tomorrow.
Comp time is legit as it means your comp hours are worth more every time you get a raise.

Start in the jail as a deputy. Start building seniority and retirement.

Many fantastic deputies started in the jail. You'll likely be at intake which is where the fun is IMO. I Had the best relationships with the intake guys and they were always first to go to patrol when a spot open up.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

carlson1
Posts in topic: 12

Post by carlson1 »

I think Chiefs/Sheriffs are going to be looking for people who can multi-task and not just using their agency as a stepping stone. It has been my experience in setting in on interviews they want someone willing to do anything. Starting at the bottom and working their way up. Character, integrity, and dedication.

Topic author
nightmare69
Posts in topic: 193

Post by nightmare69 »

WildBill wrote:
nightmare69 wrote: Im going to look at all my options after my other interview Monday. The interview today was for a jailer position but I would be badged in as a deputy, that is a plus. The benefits are all paid and decent for a smaller county. The pay sucks but I guess its fair for a jailer position. 12hr shifts, 4 on and 4 off, any overtime is comp time though, I hate comp time. He asked me if Im going to work for the first department who hires me and I said yes. I cannot afford to hold out for anyone.
I don't know about PDs, but I am leery of any company that offers "comp time" instead of OT. In my experience, these places are usually so understaffed that people never get all of their time off that they were promised.

I don't know your personal situation, why "you cannot afford to hold out". Whatever it is, don't give that information to a potential employer. :rules:
Reason I can't hold out for any department is I have not had a paycheck since January and I have to start making money now. First come first serve.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Finally graduated, now Ill be studying all weekend for the state test on Tuesday then this thread can come to a close.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 17

Post by srothstein »

Congratulations on the graduation.
Steve Rothstein

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 43

Post by Excaliber »

Congratulations! Your hard work has paid off.

Now prayers for a quick hire into a great career.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Thanks guys. If all goes well I should have a job this time next week. You think in the interview with the sheriff I should tell him I'm ready for SWAT and or undercover K9 position?
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Jaguar
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jaguar »

Undercover K9!

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 43

Post by Excaliber »

nightmare69 wrote:Thanks guys. If all goes well I should have a job this time next week. You think in the interview with the sheriff I should tell him I'm ready for SWAT and or undercover K9 position?
Not exactly.

But you should be prepared to answer the question: "How do you see your career developing in this department over time?"

This gives the interviewer insight into whether he's hiring a 20 year patrol officer, an investigator, or a future captain or chief deputy.

Think about this one carefully. It's one you should answer for yourself before you're asked about it by others.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Honestly, I want to enroll back in college and go for my associates degree in criminal justice. After that I would like to be an SRO at a school working with kids. I loved the school environment and I believe I could help out trouble teens as I was once one myself. One day in the far future I would like to continue my education and apply to be a federal officer such as DEA. I know that will be a long shot but if you would have told me a year ago I was going to graduate the police academy I would have thought you were crazy.

In the department I would like to become full time patrol and eventually move into CID.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 17

Post by srothstein »

Education always helps, but if you think you might want to be a federal agent, do it quickly. They have a legal age cut off of 37 for hiring due to retirement requirements. And they require a bachelor's at a minimum.

I think telling the sheriff you are looking to go back to school part time and that you want to be an SRO or maybe an investigator (even federal) in the future would be a good thing. Honesty almost always is a good policy during the interview.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

We were shown this video at the end of the academy. Any Paul Harvey fans here?

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
5/20-Plastic in hand.

oohrah
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oohrah »

Congratulations, and good luck. I'ver eally enjoyed following your posts here.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”