Police Academy Adventures

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
nightmare69
Posts in topic: 193

Re: Police Academy Adventures

Post by nightmare69 »

spongeworthy wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:I want this one.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-p ... y-iop.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder if I can order it after I graduate?
I think you'll need to be hired and sworn in first for LE discounts.
GT distributors lets academy cadets have the LE discount.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 12

Post by carlson1 »

Excaliber wrote:
gigag04 wrote:Your best bet is to go through the main city or county page of each agency. Make it a full time job applying for full time jobs.

A detective I used to work with spends every saturday testing for jobs since he just moved out of state. It takes time and effort to get the best positions available.
Also keep a copy of every application.

It makes filling out the next ones MUCH easier and referring to the earlier ones can keep you from creating inconsistencies if you're in a hurry or don't remember something.

This is a great ideal. My brother is the Chief a Deputy at Smith County and he told me that when doing backgrounds they always ask what other agencies have they applied for. The investigator always calls those agencies and compare notes.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 43

Post by Excaliber »

carlson1 wrote:
Excaliber wrote:
gigag04 wrote:Your best bet is to go through the main city or county page of each agency. Make it a full time job applying for full time jobs.

A detective I used to work with spends every saturday testing for jobs since he just moved out of state. It takes time and effort to get the best positions available.
Also keep a copy of every application.

It makes filling out the next ones MUCH easier and referring to the earlier ones can keep you from creating inconsistencies if you're in a hurry or don't remember something.

This is a great ideal. My brother is the Chief a Deputy at Smith County and he told me that when doing backgrounds they always ask what other agencies have they applied for. The investigator always calls those agencies and compare notes.
That's exactly the issue I was gentlycautioning about in the last part of my post above.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Been reviewing for the state test on the 3rd all week. I'm so ready to be done with all this and go to work.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Wodathunkit
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Wodathunkit »

Hang in there! We're all rooting for ya!
"Character is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking" - J.C. watts Jr.
CHL since Jan. 2013
53 days mailbox to mailbox.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 53

Post by WildBill »

Wodathunkit wrote:Hang in there! We're all rooting for ya!
:iagree: You will do great!
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Thanks guys. Last day of class is tomorrow, Friday graduation, next Tuesday TCOLE test. Assuming I pass I will be done and can finally go to work.

I got an interview tomorrow with a local SO for what I'm assuming is a jailer position. I also got a call about a temp, part time position(32hrs a week)working patrol out at a local lake working through the Sheriff dept from now till labor day. Im going to give each agency consideration but if I get the chance to jump right into badge vs work in the jail for who knows how long the choice will be easy. Part time doing the job I went to school for vs full time being a jailer. Im not going to commit to anything if they offer me a job tomorrow, Ill just respectfully tell them that I have another interview lined up that I need to consider. Thought?
5/20-Plastic in hand.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 53

Post by WildBill »

nightmare69 wrote:Thanks guys. Last day of class is tomorrow, Friday graduation, next Tuesday TCOLE test. Assuming I pass I will be done and can finally go to work.

I got an interview tomorrow with a local SO for what I'm assuming is a jailer position. I also got a call about a temp, part time position(32hrs a week)working patrol out at a local lake working through the Sheriff dept from now till labor day. Im going to give each agency consideration but if I get the chance to jump right into badge vs work in the jail for who knows how long the choice will be easy. Part time doing the job I went to school for vs full time being a jailer. Im not going to commit to anything if they offer me a job tomorrow, Ill just respectfully tell them that I have another interview lined up that I need to consider. Thought?
IMO being upfront and honest is the way to go. :thumbs2:
NRA Endowment Member

Wodathunkit
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Wodathunkit »

nightmare69 wrote: Part time doing the job I went to school for vs full time being a jailer. Thought?
:iagree: it could always turn into full time work.
"Character is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking" - J.C. watts Jr.
CHL since Jan. 2013
53 days mailbox to mailbox.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 43

Post by Excaliber »

WildBill wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:Thanks guys. Last day of class is tomorrow, Friday graduation, next Tuesday TCOLE test. Assuming I pass I will be done and can finally go to work.

IMO being upfront and honest is the way to go. :thumbs2:
I agree with WildBill. It doesn't pay to try to be clever with police agencies - it comes across as deceptive and will hurt your chances. They'll respect someone who says he's looking at another position that lets him go directly into patrol and comparing that to what they have to offer. Being upfront pays off.

If I were in your situation, I would take the patrol position. It's what you want to do, it gives you the inside track on a full time patrol position with the same agency, and it positions you to take a full time patrol position with another agency with some patrol experience instead of new academy graduate with jailer experience. For me that wouldn't be a hard decision. I'd also look for another nearby agency that's looking for a one or two shift per week fill in position to gain more experience and help keep the finances where they need to be.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Thanks. I just don't want to burn any bridges cause I am in desperate need of a job. The temporary patrol job I just spoke to the sheriff for only a couple of minutes about it. He just said that it would be a good chance to get my feet wet. They are a small agency, the population of this county is just over 10k so the chances of a full time deputy position coming available is slim. I think my best bet is to take the patrol position and actively look for full time employment with benefits. Right now I have no health insurance and I doubt the part time job provides any.

As wildbill said, this could turn into a full time or at least employement with another department.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

johncanfield
Posts in topic: 4

Post by johncanfield »

nightmare69 wrote:..Right now I have no health insurance and I doubt the part time job provides any. ..
I thought all uninsured were required to sign up for ObamaCare by now :confused5 .
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

srothstein
Posts in topic: 17

Post by srothstein »

One of the things I have always advised new officers (and my kids) is to remember the first priority. More often than your situation, this is a conflict between primary job and secondary job, but I have seen this also.

You need a full time permanent job. You want to be a patrolman. If you take the temporary job (assuming it is offered) and turn down the permanent position because it is jail to start, you have probably written one agency off your list for later jobs. If you turn down the part-time position because you were offered a full time position, you have probably kept both agencies as potential future employers.

There is an old saying about dancing with the one who brought you, and you might want to consider that. Assuming both agencies offer a position, my personal advice is to take the full time slot and then ask the part time agency if you could work for them less than 32 hours per week (maybe 16?).

If you do not take the full time position right away, then I will second the other advice and tell you to be upfront with them on why not. That way you might keep them as a potential future employer and not burn the bridge. I will point out that there has always been a long standing rivalry between patrol and corrections, so if it is career corrections people doing the interview, this may not help. If it is senior officers who have done both, it probably will.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

johncanfield wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:..Right now I have no health insurance and I doubt the part time job provides any. ..
I thought all uninsured were required to sign up for ObamaCare by now :confused5 .
Im a rebel, come at me Obama.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

srothstein wrote:One of the things I have always advised new officers (and my kids) is to remember the first priority. More often than your situation, this is a conflict between primary job and secondary job, but I have seen this also.

You need a full time permanent job. You want to be a patrolman. If you take the temporary job (assuming it is offered) and turn down the permanent position because it is jail to start, you have probably written one agency off your list for later jobs. If you turn down the part-time position because you were offered a full time position, you have probably kept both agencies as potential future employers.

There is an old saying about dancing with the one who brought you, and you might want to consider that. Assuming both agencies offer a position, my personal advice is to take the full time slot and then ask the part time agency if you could work for them less than 32 hours per week (maybe 16?).

If you do not take the full time position right away, then I will second the other advice and tell you to be upfront with them on why not. That way you might keep them as a potential future employer and not burn the bridge. I will point out that there has always been a long standing rivalry between patrol and corrections, so if it is career corrections people doing the interview, this may not help. If it is senior officers who have done both, it probably will.
Im going to look at all my options after my other interview Monday. The interview today was for a jailer position but I would be badged in as a deputy, that is a plus. The benefits are all paid and decent for a smaller county. The pay sucks but I guess its fair for a jailer position. 12hr shifts, 4 on and 4 off, any overtime is comp time though, I hate comp time. He asked me if Im going to work for the first department who hires me and I said yes. I cannot afford to hold out for anyone.

They gave me a personal history statement and told me to turn it in Monday. I asked them if I could turn it in later in the week cause I had a interview and needed to study for my state test, they said thats fine. I hope that wasn't a unreasonable request but there was no way I could get all the required paperwork together plus fill out this huge application by Monday. I have to go and get a certified copy of my birth certificate among other paperwork that will take time to get. Anyways, today was the last day of class and I graduate tomorrow.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”