Police Academy Adventures

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 43

Re: Police Academy Adventures

Post by Excaliber »

nightmare69 wrote:
Excaliber wrote:
gigag04 wrote:Your best bet is to go through the main city or county page of each agency. Make it a full time job applying for full time jobs.

A detective I used to work with spends every saturday testing for jobs since he just moved out of state. It takes time and effort to get the best positions available.
Also keep a copy of every application.

It makes filling out the next ones MUCH easier and referring to the earlier ones can keep you from creating inconsistencies if you're in a hurry or don't remember something.
I plan on scanning the personal history statements this time. Seems a lot of the smaller departments use the generic 32 page history and don't mind if you type it. I will scan them and it will make the process much easier.
That's even better for the agencies that don't insist on forms handwritten in black ink.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
nightmare69
Posts in topic: 193

Post by nightmare69 »

My hand writing is horrible. I can write neat but I have to write very slow. It took me 3days to fill out the last application that had to be hand written cause my hand kept cramping up.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 43

Post by Excaliber »

nightmare69 wrote:My hand writing is horrible. I can write neat but I have to write very slow. It took me 3days to fill out the last application that had to be hand written cause my hand kept cramping up.
My handwriting is "autoencrypted" too.

Try printing - it works for me.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 53

Post by WildBill »

Excaliber wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:My hand writing is horrible. I can write neat but I have to write very slow. It took me 3days to fill out the last application that had to be hand written cause my hand kept cramping up.
My handwriting is "autoencrypted" too.

Try printing - it works for me.
:iagree: I stopped writing in 7th grade.
NRA Endowment Member

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Abraham »

Wow, I didn't realize I was in the company of so many penmanship-challenged people like myself.

My cursive was always horrible and now that arthritis has settled into my hands it's undecipherable.

I do though get a kick out of signing credit card purchases with an X.

No one has yet challenged me. I'm assuming they think, well you can guess what they think...

When I just can't avoid putting down information on a form of some kind or other, I slowly draw the words as calling it printing would be laughable.

Wodathunkit
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Wodathunkit »

To go completely off topic.....they don't even teach cursive anymore! Penmanship is dead.
"Character is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking" - J.C. watts Jr.
CHL since Jan. 2013
53 days mailbox to mailbox.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Wodathunkit wrote:To go completely off topic.....they don't even teach cursive anymore! Penmanship is dead.
I was taught cursive until 6th grade. After that I printed everything Writing checks is the only time I use cursive.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Blindref757
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Blindref757 »

As an elementary school teacher...I can verify that cursive is dead. In preparing students for the future, it is critical that they leave elementary school with strong keyboarding skills. Over 85% of our written communication in the professional realm is done on a keyboard. Cursive was once deemed as critical to a person's future marketability as a productive citizen. Times have changed!

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Blindref757 wrote:As an elementary school teacher...I can verify that cursive is dead. In preparing students for the future, it is critical that they leave elementary school with strong keyboarding skills. Over 85% of our written communication in the professional realm is done on a keyboard. Cursive was once deemed as critical to a person's future marketability as a productive citizen. Times have changed!

Many proactive LE agencies now require a 35 wpm typing certificate since a large portion of police work is being a mobile secretary.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 53

Post by WildBill »

texanjoker wrote:
Blindref757 wrote:As an elementary school teacher...I can verify that cursive is dead. In preparing students for the future, it is critical that they leave elementary school with strong keyboarding skills. Over 85% of our written communication in the professional realm is done on a keyboard. Cursive was once deemed as critical to a person's future marketability as a productive citizen. Times have changed!

Many proactive LE agencies now require a 35 wpm typing certificate since a large portion of police work is being a mobile secretary.
:nono: They no longer teach typing skills, it is called "keyboarding". :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

srothstein
Posts in topic: 17

Post by srothstein »

spongeworthy wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:What are some good websites that post LEO jobs since I graduate next week?
http://www.tcleose.state.tx.us/content/ ... ancies.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is the old address. They finally changed their web site address to reflect the new name:
http://www.tcole.texas.gov/content/statewide-vacancies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Rothstein

spongeworthy

Post by spongeworthy »

srothstein wrote:
spongeworthy wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:What are some good websites that post LEO jobs since I graduate next week?
http://www.tcleose.state.tx.us/content/ ... ancies.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is the old address. They finally changed their web site address to reflect the new name:
http://www.tcole.texas.gov/content/statewide-vacancies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aha, thanks, that's more helpful - I'm looking around for myself as well.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Seems TML and TCOLE are the best sites out there for job vacancies. I wish either site had a feature that you enter a zip code and can search for jobs from X miles from that zip code.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

TomV

Post by TomV »

On the TML site, you can list municipalities separated by a comma in the first search box.
http://www.3atatraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

nightmare69 wrote:Seems TML and TCOLE are the best sites out there for job vacancies. I wish either site had a feature that you enter a zip code and can search for jobs from X miles from that zip code.

Indeed.com has that feature and there are quite a few jobs listed there... .

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”