Is Open Carry Activism Threatening our CHL rights.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

asbandr
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Is Open Carry Activism Threatening our CHL rights.

Post by asbandr »

Why would anyone think a big display like that would calm anyone's fears about guns whether OC or CC? I am a proud gun owner/concealed carrier but that'd scare the mess out of even me!
Like I've said before, I think we should have the right to OC, but in my opinion, let the anti's believe that the people around them aren't carrying. Out of sight out of mind. And just cause you're carrying openly and don't shoot them, don't assume it will change their minds and realize it's the shooter committing the crime not the gun. They'll just think the gun's well trained, not you.
I'm a mom who demands action. Single action, double action, single/double action. I'm an equal action shooter.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe. - Luke 11:21

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SewTexas »

spongeworthy wrote:
Keith B wrote:And now they have ticked of Chipotle http://on.nbcdfw.com/vy0Gwsc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Un-beee-leavable :banghead: :mad5
I'm quite conflicted over this one, normally I'd just go elsewhere but Chipotle is my go-to spot for eating out on the rare occasion I do. :mad5

It sounds like they are doing the same thing Starbucks did, just mouth service for the antis-. they won't put up any signs so it really won't affect anything.

but the OC crowd needs to understand they aren't just ticking off the antis anymore, they are irritating the CHLers too, that that does nothing for their cause at all.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

spongeworthy

Post by spongeworthy »

SewTexas wrote:
It sounds like they are doing the same thing Starbucks did, just mouth service for the antis-. they won't put up any signs so it really won't affect anything.
I hope you're right, but this just came down today so their counsel team will have to talk it over and make the final decisions. I need a Chipotle fix soon so I'll be on the lookout for signs at the stores near my place in the meanwhile.

jmra
Posts in topic: 8

Post by jmra »

SewTexas wrote:
spongeworthy wrote:
Keith B wrote:And now they have ticked of Chipotle http://on.nbcdfw.com/vy0Gwsc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Un-beee-leavable :banghead: :mad5
I'm quite conflicted over this one, normally I'd just go elsewhere but Chipotle is my go-to spot for eating out on the rare occasion I do. :mad5

but the OC crowd needs to understand they aren't just ticking off the antis anymore, they are irritating the CHLers too, that that does nothing for their cause at all.
It doesn't affect anything as long as you aren't in favor of handgun OC passing in 2015. If you are...
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Rrash
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Rrash »

Does anyone know of any Sherriff, LEO, or politician that supports the "in your face" OC strategy?

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Rrash wrote:Does anyone know of any Sherriff, LEO, or politician that supports the "in your face" OC strategy?

Diane Feinstein.

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I can't go into detail, but if the current tactics continue, then open-carry will be DOA in the 2015 Texas Legislative Session. The legislative response is bad and getting worse and it's not because our friends in Austin are anti-gun as some will scream from the rooftops.

Chas.
I absolutely believe you are right and that is as it should be. The open-carry practitioners who are creating negative-journalism protests are doing just what you have said in the past Charles, taking away gains made by the work of concealed-carry polititions and their constituents whom you have long championed.

I see no good end from these confrontational tactics, and to claim that they are putting weapons in front of people to make the public comfortable with them is disingenuous at best. Civilians with firearms are portrayed on television and in the movies with a largely negative connotation that will always be slanting public opinion. Doing things to bring these fears to mind in places that the public considers their "stomping grounds" is just not clever, smart, or cute in any form or fashion.

As for the question of licensing for open-carry, I support licensing. I'll just leave it at that.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

asbandr
Posts in topic: 6

Post by asbandr »

sugar land dave wrote: Civilians with firearms are portrayed on television and in the movies with a largely negative connotation that will always be slanting public opinion.
Agreed. But it's not just TV and movies. It's media as a whole. What's one of the reasons we are having to work so hard to protect our 2nd amendment right? Because of mass shootings that have captured every media outlets attention. Featuring what? The same thing these OC activists such as the Chipotle patrons are portraying to the public. To anyone in that restaurant at the time of this display they did not see whatever it was these men were trying to display. They saw strange men with large guns. Of course they were alarmed and as much as I hate it and wouldn't do it myself, I can't blame the restaurant for its decision. If they do decide to post 30.06 I have considered writing a respectful letter asking them to reconsider. Well it get anywhere? Probably not. But they need to see we aren't all in your face activists. Most of us just want the freedom to protect ourselves and our families within their doors.
I'm a mom who demands action. Single action, double action, single/double action. I'm an equal action shooter.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe. - Luke 11:21

TexasGal
Posts in topic: 7

Post by TexasGal »

I'm starting to think even gun owners will be happy to vote for a law that puts a stop to open carry of long guns anywhere but gun shows, ranges, and hunting settings. Just to put a stop to these displays.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by EEllis »

TexasGal wrote:I'm starting to think even gun owners will be happy to vote for a law that puts a stop to open carry of long guns anywhere but gun shows, ranges, and hunting settings. Just to put a stop to these displays.
It wouldn't be that drastic but a law that requires people to have an empty chamber or some sort of trespass law probably wouldn't be fought against, even by gun folks, because of these types of antics.

rbwhatever1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by rbwhatever1 »

A better article....

"The standard tactic from Michael Bloomberg’s personally funded Gun Control Hysteria Formerly Known as Moms Demand Action is pretty well established by now. Step one: pick a common fast food restaurant that an upper middle class white family would regularly visit. Step two: find an instance of scary looking guns being in one of their locations. Step three: bully the fast food chain until they can claim some minor form of victory. Step four: claim that “gun bullies” are trying to unfairly force their opinion on the same restaurants that they just forced their will upon. Lather, rinse, repeat. Today’s target: Chipotle."

Am I the only one who is starting to notice the soccer mom trend for chains under attack, by the way? First Starbucks and now Chipotle? I realize that Shannon Watts only became motivated to “reduce gun violence” after a bunch of white New England children were murdered (apparently black children in Chicago don’t motivate Shannon), but from the person who used to do public relations for Monsanto, I would expect a more coherent strategy than “only get irritated when gun nuts come into restaurants I like.”

Twitchy opines:

Anti-gun nuts Moms Demand Action attempted to intimidate the Chipotle Mexican Grill chain after some open carry activists in Dallas suggested eating at one of the restaurants after a scheduled “open carry walk.” Shannon Watts, founder of Moms Demand Action, launched a hashtag campaign at the burrito makers. Naturally the sight of law abiding Texans legally carrying legal firearms is disturbing to the disturbed Bloomberg-funded gun grabbers. Normal people had a different reaction.

It’s actually pretty good reading, the responses Twitchy posted. But things get better. Chipotle reacted with a logical and legal response: they abide by the state laws in which their restaurants exist. So when I carry my legally concealed handgun into their stores to enjoy their burritos (and strangely have yet to “snap” and start murdering people, despite going there every week) the company has no issue with that.

Shannon’s response to a rational statement: pure insanity.
.@ChipotleTweets Law allows me to sing loudly while breast feeding. May I? Why allow open carry of guns? #MomsDemand #burritosnotbullets

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/0 ... -chipotle/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
III

rentz

Post by rentz »

I just have to shake my head every-time i see a news story involving OCT these extreme tactics are not helping anyone it is just making their case worse.

pops1982

Post by pops1982 »

The efforts of these in your face "OCA" people is so obviously counter productive to our cause that I've come to the conclusion that they cant be that stupid or hard headed so they must be plants from the leftist gun grabbers. Reasonable conclusion? Maybe some investigation into the background of the individuals doing this should be done and if my assumption is correct they need to be called out on it.
Lifetime NRA
CHL
Glock 27 CCW 24/7
“When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.” - Thomas Jefferson

gdanaher
Banned

Post by gdanaher »

pops1982 wrote:The efforts of these in your face "OCA" people is so obviously counter productive to our cause that I've come to the conclusion that they cant be that stupid or hard headed so they must be plants from the leftist gun grabbers. Reasonable conclusion? Maybe some investigation into the background of the individuals doing this should be done and if my assumption is correct they need to be called out on it.
In an unrelated club which I am a member of, we had a young man join, participate, and eventually do something so boneheaded that he was encouraged to cease his affiliation. Since that time, I have seen his face on the news, on Youtube, and on the OCT webpage. Let me assure you here and now that he is no plant from any anti-gun group. From prior experience, let me assure you that this one guy could indeed be that stupid. :nono:

Keith B
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Keith B »

Charles just posted this http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=129&t=72856" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I am cross-linking it to these topics so people will read it.

Bottom line, the idiots (yes, I said idiots) ARE hurting chances for open carry legislation in 2015. if they continue we may even see negative legislation for currently legal long gun open carry introduced.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”