February 2014 Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

hotboyjonesy
Posts in topic: 10

Re: February 2014 Applications

Post by hotboyjonesy »

berettaslim wrote:
hotboyjonesy wrote:After Day 93, finally a status update:
Application : Received
Fingerprints : Under review
Affidavits : Received
DL or ID : Valid
Citizenship : No documentation required
Passport photo holder : Received
Photo : Received
Proof of Classroom training : Received
Proof of Proficiency training : Received
Proof of Special Condition : Received
Fee : Received
Background Check : Under review
Concealed Handgun License : Print pending completion of application review

Now waiting on 4 little checkmarks...WALLY-WALK coming soon... :txflag:
We in the same boat! I got my update on Sat May 3. Also waiting on 4 yellow yield signs to turn green! Ya think the background check is the hold up?
It's seems some of these background checks have been taking 1-2 days turn around, the other group of them have been about 2 weeks. I spoke with DPS around 5 May, he seemed pretty confident that my plastic would be in hand within a total of 3 weeks. Hard to say... :txflag:

berettaslim
Posts in topic: 3

Post by berettaslim »

Probably for a clean record I could see a 2 day turnaround. I called and a rep told me they were trying to "rule out" something concerning my background. But he said everything looked to be alright. I know I will be waiting for a minute! :waiting:

hotboyjonesy

Post by hotboyjonesy »

berettaslim wrote:Probably for a clean record I could see a 2 day turnaround. I called and a rep told me they were trying to "rule out" something concerning my background. But he said everything looked to be alright. I know I will be waiting for a minute! :waiting:
Status update, then Background Check...This is the second half of the "Waiting game." Well, patience is key...I'll post here ASAP when I get those 4 green checkmarks. :txflag:

hotboyjonesy

Post by hotboyjonesy »

DavidMSelf wrote::waiting: It is May the 11th 2014 and it has been 10 days since I did my whole thing by email and not a change on the status yet. I know there have been those that have waited days and those that have waited months so I know there is no set time frame but I was told by the people that handle this that I should submit it by email to get things going faster but I have seen no evidence to support that at all. I have no bad background and I was fingerprinted two days after my CHL class which I passed without missing a single question and I shot perfectly. I am not worried at all about the background check because there is nothing negative to find. I just wish this was a faster more efficient process. I can't take my gun on vacation because I know it will not be here by the time I leave and I am going through states that require my CHL to even have the gun loaded in the SUV next to me in the box or on me for that matter. I will be forced to leave it in the safe and locked away. I have a house sitter and a very well trained watch dog that is about 125lbs but I still would have liked taking my weapon with me. I too was told they had hired temps to catch up on the back log and I was really hoping that it would make a big difference but everyone that I have spoke to face to face in my area says that expect a 3 month wait and that is pure agony. I check the site every day just to see if they have started the process but it never changes and the status remains the same. This is the pits people.
I understand your frustration...I received my 1st STATUS update on day 91. Don't fret, as you stated, alot of people that applied in February received there plastic around the 60-day mark. There seems to be no method to the madness at TxDPS. Good luck playing the waiting game... :txflag:

pacman
Posts in topic: 8

Post by pacman »

Date of application: Feb. 21, 2014. I was told in mid-May via a phone conversation with DPS that "it should all be completed" by the "Middle of May".

It's the Middle of May - no status change online since early March.

I carry anyway (all I do is back and forth to work where I carry and it is legal to do so) so this is no big deal,
but what really bothers me is the process. Texas DPS should be the best staffed such agency of all 50 states, yet ever
since I have dealt with them beginning in the late 70's, the "modus operandi" has been archaic.

Perhaps I should move to Austin and get a job as a CHL processor...?

hotboyjonesy

Post by hotboyjonesy »

pacman wrote:Date of application: Feb. 21, 2014. I was told in mid-May via a phone conversation with DPS that "it should all be completed" by the "Middle of May".

It's the Middle of May - no status change online since early March.

I carry anyway (all I do is back and forth to work where I carry and it is legal to do so) so this is no big deal,
but what really bothers me is the process. Texas DPS should be the best staffed such agency of all 50 states, yet ever
since I have dealt with them beginning in the late 70's, the "modus operandi" has been archaic.

Perhaps I should move to Austin and get a job as a CHL processor...?
I empathize...It took me 94 days to receive a status change. The last time I spoke to DPS, the understanding I got was that it's taking around the 90-day mark as a 'maximum' time frame for DPS to issue a status change. However, some of the March applicants have already received their plastic. There seems to be no method to the madness in Austin. I'm currently awaiting fingerprints and background completion. :txflag:

jdowpcs
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jdowpcs »

Ouch.. don't look at the April thread. They're getting updates and plastic, too.

hotboyjonesy

Post by hotboyjonesy »

jdowpcs wrote:Ouch.. don't look at the April thread. They're getting updates and plastic, too.
I figured that. It seems like the majority of us February applicants fell into some type of "black hole." I imagine since most of us that are waiting from Feb. probably are only waiting on background checks, i doubt that DPS has any ability to 'speed-up' that process. I figured some of April had received their plastic, but for the sake of my own sanity, I'm dreading checking the May thread. :txflag:

berettaslim

Post by berettaslim »

hotboyjonesy wrote:
jdowpcs wrote:Ouch.. don't look at the April thread. They're getting updates and plastic, too.
I figured that. It seems like the majority of us February applicants fell into some type of "black hole." I imagine since most of us that are waiting from Feb. probably are only waiting on background checks, i doubt that DPS has any ability to 'speed-up' that process. I figured some of April had received their plastic, but for the sake of my own sanity, I'm dreading checking the May thread. :txflag:

I've called several times, emailed for responses and finally this morning status updated to manufacturing pending. Got a letter from them on saturday thst was mailed out on the 13th requesting dd-214, faxed it on the 19th and along with a few more calls to verify receipt they finished the background check. So I think you can "speed up the process".

CoolBreeze
Posts in topic: 65

Post by CoolBreeze »

It makes no sense that April is getting plastic and their are still people from February waiting unless something was wrong with your background or paperwork. There SHOULD be a method to the madness. There must be very little oversight on the process... :tiphat:
The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed. -Thomas Jefferson
Never Shoot a Large Caliber Man with a Small Caliber Bullet
IANAL - Please do not assume anything in my posts is legal advice

hotboyjonesy

Post by hotboyjonesy »

CoolBreeze wrote:It makes no sense that April is getting plastic and their are still people from February waiting unless something was wrong with your background or paperwork. There SHOULD be a method to the madness. There must be very little oversight on the process... :tiphat:
Yeah I know...I didn't receive a status update until 92 days from receiving the email stating that DPS had receieved all the information and paperwork they needed from me. At least I know my background is clear. I'm only guessing that me, being recently separated military could have put my application into a 'separate' application pool being that my application fee was waived...Hard to say :txflag:

pacman

Post by pacman »

So... I called again last week, and spoke to a nice lady who after I told her that I both emailed and mailed the training certificate, she told me they were still waiting on my DD214 and "another" document. I assured her that I had sent it ALL in in my original application in February, so she put me on hold for 15 minutes, then came back on and told me that they DO have all my documents and the background is complete and everything is as it should be... and she was going to forward my stuff to a supervisor so they could "fast track" it and get it out ASAP.

This was early last week... still no status change when I checked online just now. I will probably have the card in hand before the status changes.

96 days since application.... :totap:

pacman

Post by pacman »

97 days after application emailed in:

Checked my status on the Texas RSD website earlier today, just received this email:

"Thank you for using the Regulatory Services Division’s website.

Currently the status of your CHL application indicates “in progress” soon to be sent to printing. Please allow time to complete processing."

Has anyone else received this message, and if so, how long until you received it?

Thanks! :tiphat:

5murphy7

Post by 5murphy7 »

Completed class 2/4/2014 sent in documents online (email) on 2/9/2014. I received confirmation that they received the documents on 2/11/2014. Still nothing. The status says they are waiting on documents...lol

:(

I'm thinking...should I resubmit documents online? Or just call? Or just wait? I don't even check anymore...

BSL-4

Post by BSL-4 »

5murphy7 wrote:Completed class 2/4/2014 sent in documents online (email) on 2/9/2014. I received confirmation that they received the documents on 2/11/2014. Still nothing. The status says they are waiting on documents...lol

:(

I'm thinking...should I resubmit documents online? Or just call? Or just wait? I don't even check anymore...
I'd give them a call.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”