OCT: Proposed OC ACT for 2015

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 4

Re: OCT: Proposed OC ACT for 2015

Post by nightmare69 »

jbarn wrote:
Beiruty wrote:It was just posted on OCT fb.
By CJ Grisham:
This is the legislation that Open Carry Texas is sponsoring to get open carry passed in Texas. It accomplishes several goals: legalizing the open carry of ALL firearms; removing exemptions of where off-duty officers, legislators, judges, prosecutors, etc can carry (If a citizen can't carry to a particular place, neither can anyone else); clarifies the disorderly conduct statute to ensure that open carry in and of itself isn't an arrestable offense; removes TABC laws that bar people from carrying into establishments that sell alcohol (for example, I do NOT drink at all and should be able to defend myself while eating at the Olive Garden in spite of the fact they sell alcohol); removes restrictions on types of knives that can legally be carried; and enjoins state agencies with municipalities under state pre-emption of firearms regulation (in other words, DPS can't just decide to ban the bearing of firearms on capitol grounds). Please contact your state senator and representative and ask them to support this legislation.
Doc of proposed act is attached:
Good grief. Even his little statement is full of "misstatements".

The attitude that he wants to limit current exceptions if he cannot have it.

The assertion that one can only defend oneself with a firearm

Just wow....

His belief that he cannot carry in Olive Garden
This.

You can carry into Olive Garden, they are not 51%. You can carry a knife with a blade length up to 5.5in, you wanting to carry a samurai sword?
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Target1911
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Target1911 »

nightmare69 wrote:
jbarn wrote:
Beiruty wrote:It was just posted on OCT fb.
By CJ Grisham:
This is the legislation that Open Carry Texas is sponsoring to get open carry passed in Texas. It accomplishes several goals: legalizing the open carry of ALL firearms; removing exemptions of where off-duty officers, legislators, judges, prosecutors, etc can carry (If a citizen can't carry to a particular place, neither can anyone else); clarifies the disorderly conduct statute to ensure that open carry in and of itself isn't an arrestable offense; removes TABC laws that bar people from carrying into establishments that sell alcohol (for example, I do NOT drink at all and should be able to defend myself while eating at the Olive Garden in spite of the fact they sell alcohol); removes restrictions on types of knives that can legally be carried; and enjoins state agencies with municipalities under state pre-emption of firearms regulation (in other words, DPS can't just decide to ban the bearing of firearms on capitol grounds). Please contact your state senator and representative and ask them to support this legislation.
Doc of proposed act is attached:
Good grief. Even his little statement is full of "misstatements".

The attitude that he wants to limit current exceptions if he cannot have it.

The assertion that one can only defend oneself with a firearm

Just wow....

His belief that he cannot carry in Olive Garden
This.

You can carry into Olive Garden, they are not 51%. You can carry a knife with a blade length up to 5.5in, you wanting to carry a samurai sword?
Maybe not a sword but a dirk or dagger...n.a bouble edged knife. Having a double edge doesn't make the knife more lethal. ....it just makes it appear more evil.
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

TexasGal
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TexasGal »

Every time I see the OC demonstrations on the local news, I cringe. The impression does not seem a good one for gun owners. Yesterday, a rep for Moms Demand Action was giving an interview to a journalist at one of the demonstrations. I hate to admit it, but she made the better impression. Everyone at my house groaned. Especially when the reporter said MDA is urging businesses where the demonstrations are held to prohibit guns. No mention was made of MDA being a front for MAIG. Why is OCT handing the media and MDA these gift-wrapped opportunities? There has to be better ways.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

jmra
Posts in topic: 11

Post by jmra »

TexasGal wrote:Every time I see the OC demonstrations on the local news, I cringe. The impression does not seem a good one for gun owners. Yesterday, a rep for Moms Demand Action was giving an interview to a journalist at one of the demonstrations. I hate to admit it, but she made the better impression. Everyone at my house groaned. Especially when the reporter said MDA is urging businesses where the demonstrations are held to prohibit guns. No mention was made of MDA being a front for MAIG. Why is OCT handing the media and MDA these gift-wrapped opportunities? There has to be better ways.
:iagree:
These OC groups are doing more to advance gun control than MAIG could ever do. When will we wise up and stop shooting ourselves in the foot.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Olive Garden along with several other Restaurants I have observed the blue sign.

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 5

Post by G.A. Heath »

MeMelYup wrote:Olive Garden along with several other Restaurants I have observed the blue sign.
The Blue Sign is required for business that sell alcohol but do not meet the requirement to post the 51% sign.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

G.A. Heath wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:Olive Garden along with several other Restaurants I have observed the blue sign.
The Blue Sign is required for business that sell alcohol but do not meet the requirement to post the 51% sign.

Agreed. You can CHL away.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Olive Garden and Chili's even make their own custom 'Unlicesned Possesion...' signs to match their decor. They meet the legal requirements and don't look like a cheap cardboard sign taped up in the window.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

My comment was made in reference to OCT referring that a person could not carry in Olive Garden and some other restruarnts.

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

MeMelYup wrote:My comment was made in reference to OCT referring that a person could not carry in Olive Garden and some other restruarnts.
So you are saying since open carrying a rifle is not covered under a CHL, it is "Unlicensed Possession" and is illegal to carry anywhere alcohol is sold. That would make the open carriers that go to Walmart felons as well, since all Walmarts I've seen sell alcohol and have the blue sign. I hadn't thought about it like that before.
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

baron
Banned

Post by baron »

If you're not violating 46.02, I don't see how the felony upgrade for alcohol premises applies.
46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club [abraham]
(b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
(c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

rotor

Post by rotor »

The open carry threads always generate so much interest. I wish it were legal in Texas. Not that I want to open carry but I wish it was legal like in Oklahoma. We are in the land of jim Bowie but can not carry a Bowie knife. When I go to "the acres" I have to carry my firearm concealed in my car just in case I get stopped ( I carry a S&W Governor) and then open carry my snake gun when I get on the property. From so many of the threads on this site it almost appears that the CHL people are the ones most upset about open carry. I agree that the people pushing it don't use realistic tactics but if they were politically savy and could get it passed I would applaud them. I also don't know why I can't go into a bar ( I don't drink) and carry concealed. I don't know why I can't carry my automatic knife in San Antonio. Lot's of "I don't know why's" that make absolutely no sense to me but are on the books. I know that the BGs don't care about the different sections of the code. Only honest citizens care and they should be the ones that are allowed to carry.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Am I the only one who noticed Section 11 of this bill and realizes what it does?
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

rotor wrote: From so many of the threads on this site it almost appears that the CHL people are the ones most upset about open carry.
Strangely, a board called CHL forum, about CHL issues might have a preponderence of members who are CHLers replying on threads here. :thewave

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

G.A. Heath wrote:Am I the only one who noticed Section 11 of this bill and realizes what it does?
Is it trying to repeal CHLs? It repeals the exemption of CHLs from 46.02, which is unlawful carrying of weapons. :headscratch

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”