Police Academy Adventures

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
nightmare69
Posts in topic: 193

Re: Police Academy Adventures

Post by nightmare69 »

I know you're watching and sea everything.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 53

Post by WildBill »

nightmare69 wrote:I know you're watching and sea everything.
:smilelol5: Just watching your six. :thumbs2:
NRA Endowment Member

gigag04
Posts in topic: 21

Post by gigag04 »

This may help....

Jailer can cover a variety of roles....

A commissioned deputy that works inside the jail in the same type of day-to-day tasks as detention officers. This person is an LEO per CCP. They leave their guns in a locker during the shift.

"Jailer" can also refer to a detention officer, which is a license under TCLOLE, but is not a deputy sheriff, and also not an LEO per CCP.

If you are going to the academy, I would wager that you will be sworn in as a deputy and work in the jail until an FTO spot on patrol opens up. When I was working full time (for a city), many of the intake D.O.s would get selected to attend to the academy. Upon graduating, they were sworn in but returned to the jail until a patrol spot opened up and they could start field training.

If this is the case, you can carry past a 30.06, carry in bars, and even in court (at the mercy of the judge...), and are limited only by dept policy, and occasionally federal law....if off duty, technically you are breaking federal law if you pick up your kids and go in a school armed....go figure...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Tomorrow is mechanics of arrest, we get to beat the snot out of each other. I feel like I'm going to be sore all week.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

gigag04 wrote:
If you are going to the academy, I would wager that you will be sworn in as a deputy and work in the jail until an FTO spot on patrol opens up. When I was working full time (for a city), many of the intake D.O.s would get selected to attend to the academy. Upon graduating, they were sworn in but returned to the jail until a patrol spot opened up and they could start field training..
I've heard of this in smaller counties or if you are already employeed as a jailer and they send you to the academy. For me being a new employee I'm sure I'll start out at the bottom and they will see if I am worthy of the badge. A few of my buddies after the academy got on with local counties and worked anywhere for 4 months to a year before being sworn in as a deputy.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Today was supposed to be the easy day. This is much better then sitting in the classroom but I'm going to be sore in the morning. My chest especially from taking tons of forearm strikes. I'm enjoying it and learning a lot.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Wodathunkit
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Wodathunkit »

nightmare69 wrote:Today was supposed to be the easy day. This is much better then sitting in the classroom but I'm going to be sore in the morning. My chest especially from taking tons of forearm strikes. I'm enjoying it and learning a lot.
What all is left for you to complete and what is your timeframe?
"Character is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking" - J.C. watts Jr.
CHL since Jan. 2013
53 days mailbox to mailbox.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Wodathunkit wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:Today was supposed to be the easy day. This is much better then sitting in the classroom but I'm going to be sore in the morning. My chest especially from taking tons of forearm strikes. I'm enjoying it and learning a lot.
What all is left for you to complete and what is your timeframe?
This is week 15 of 18 and this week is mechanics of arrest.

Week 16: force options and written communication.

Week 17: CID

Week 18: review for TCOLE test/graduation.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Anyone know where I can find a Sig Sauer P226 in .357 all black. I don't want the Dak model cause it don't have the hammer you can pull back. Gt distributers only had the Dak model in .357. Gt has he Sigs for $799 for LEOs and I would like to stay around that price range.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

RX8er
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RX8er »

nightmare69 wrote:Anyone know where I can find a Sig Sauer P226 in .357 all black. I don't want the Dak model cause it don't have the hammer you can pull back. Gt distributers only had the Dak model in .357. Gt has he Sigs for $799 for LEOs and I would like to stay around that price range.

I can order you one (Manufacturer Part #: E26R-357-BSS) if needed. I'm an FFL so you'd have to come to NE Fort Worth to pick it up or I could ship to an FFL of your choice. I'd be a little above your price, about $820 plus tax, cash discount price, if you picked up from me. Shipping to your FFL, I'd add exact shipping costs. PM me if you'd like.
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

RX8er wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:Anyone know where I can find a Sig Sauer P226 in .357 all black. I don't want the Dak model cause it don't have the hammer you can pull back. Gt distributers only had the Dak model in .357. Gt has he Sigs for $799 for LEOs and I would like to stay around that price range.

I can order you one (Manufacturer Part #: E26R-357-BSS) if needed. I'm an FFL so you'd have to come to NE Fort Worth to pick it up or I could ship to an FFL of your choice. I'd be a little above your price, about $820 plus tax, cash discount price, if you picked up from me. Shipping to your FFL, I'd add exact shipping costs. PM me if you'd like.
Thanks I will keep that in mind. I would have to have it shipped to a local FFL.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Glad this week is over. Now I can heal from all the fighting. I've been filling out applications for jailers/deputy and going to mail them off tomorrow. Pray for me that I find a job soon.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

We been on force options since yesterday and a lot of people came close to failing the test, 1 did fail. The instructor who is also my sponsor taught the subject. I made a 86, lowest grade I've made yet. He is not preparing us for the test and overall is not a good instructor. A lot of people are upset with his lack of teaching skills and the grades prove it. Only B grades I've made where on his week of teaching.

The academy gives us a instructor review sheet to fill out for all the special instructors and I will be writing a novel on why this police chief should not come back. He is a nice guy but lacks the skills needed to teach. Sucks for us students cause there is 18 questions on TCOLE test over force options and I'm on my own to teach myself the subject.

Sorry for the rant but making anything below an A really upsets me.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 53

Post by WildBill »

I wasn't there so I don't know the quality of instruction, but some subjects are more difficult than others. Maybe this is why this subject is taught last.

Just because he didn't teach to pass the test doesn't mean that the instruction was not good.

Some courses are designed to make you think rather than memorize.

I suggest sticking to facts and specific examples on your review sheet rather than writing a novel. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

ShootDontTalk
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ShootDontTalk »

I agree 100% with WildBill here. Long treatises have a tendency to come back to haunt you. Just facts presented in a cool, reasoned way usually accomplish more and keep any unneeded labels off of you.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”