Police Academy Adventures

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
nightmare69
Posts in topic: 193

Re: Police Academy Adventures

Post by nightmare69 »

nightmare69 wrote:Question, let's say after I pass the state TCOLE test and go to work as a jailer will I be able to walk past a 30.06 armed legally? I know once I'm commissioned I could but what about before?
Anyone?
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 4

Post by SQLGeek »

nightmare69 wrote:
After putting 500rds down range with the academy's Glock 17 I have no disire to get one. The grips are way to big for my hands and the trigger is not my cup of tea. I just wanted something different than a 9mm and thought the .357 would be a good option.
If it's just the grip size that's a bugger, you can look at the Gen 4 G23 (.40) or G32 (.357) which offer a slightly smaller grip and the Gen 4s offer the ability to swap out palm swells varying the grip size even more. I have small hands and didn't care for the G17 but a G19 Gen 4 with the palm swell removed made the grip the perfect size.
Psalm 91:2

mojo84
Posts in topic: 35

Post by mojo84 »

nightmare69 wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:Question, let's say after I pass the state TCOLE test and go to work as a jailer will I be able to walk past a 30.06 armed legally? I know once I'm commissioned I could but what about before?
Anyone?

I'm surprised some of the boards cops or law experts hasn't responded.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

mojo84 wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
Anyone?

I'm surprised some of the boards cops or law experts hasn't responded.
It may take a lawyer to answer it. I'll technically be a licensed peace officer after I pass the state test but not a commissioned one if I went to work as a jailer. Since Mr. Cotton is a licensed peace officer but not commissioned I'm sure he would know.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 12

Post by carlson1 »

You cannot carry until you are commissioned. There are many agencies that will carry their detention officer's commission. A lot of them are used for transport officers and court baliiffs.

KRM45

Post by KRM45 »

nightmare69 wrote:
Anyone?
Sounds like you need to study your CCP a little more. Jailers are not Peace Officers. As far as I know, you get no privledges as far as firearms go as a jailer. Most jailer positions are armed only with pepper spray.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

KRM45 wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
Anyone?
Sounds like you need to study your CCP a little more. Jailers are not Peace Officers. As far as I know, you get no privledges as far as firearms go as a jailer. Most jailer positions are armed only with pepper spray.
I understand that but most jailers didn't go through the police academy and take the peace officer state test either.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

KRM45

Post by KRM45 »

nightmare69 wrote:
KRM45 wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
Anyone?
I understand that but most jailers didn't go through the police academy and take the peace officer state test either.
Many of them do after they get hired on. The license alone doesn't gain you anything. The commission is key, as spelled out in CCP 2.12.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

True but once they get their license only and handful stay in the jail, most move to patrol.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 53

Post by WildBill »

nightmare69 wrote:True but once they get their license only and handful stay in the jail, most move to patrol.
You must decide if that is the career path that you want to take.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

carlson1 wrote:You cannot carry until you are commissioned. There are many agencies that will carry their detention officer's commission. A lot of them are used for transport officers and court baliiffs.
The counties around here say they will carry your commission and it will not expire but you are not commissioned officer. A friend of mine was a jailer and went through the night academy then was badged in and worked as a transport officer for federal inmates.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 12

Post by carlson1 »

nightmare69 wrote:
carlson1 wrote:You cannot carry until you are commissioned. There are many agencies that will carry their detention officer's commission. A lot of them are used for transport officers and court baliiffs.
The counties around here say they will carry your commission and it will not expire but you are not commissioned officer. A friend of mine was a jailer and went through the night academy then was badged in and worked as a transport officer for federal inmates.
I believe your commission ends with your employment. You keep your "licensed" valid by keeping your classes and standards setup as per TCOLE.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

carlson1 wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
I believe your commission ends with your employment. You keep your "licensed" valid by keeping your classes and standards setup as per TCOLE.
:iagree:
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

carlson1 wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
Ok. As long as it don't expire I'm happy.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

nightmare69 wrote:
carlson1 wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
Ok. As long as it don't expire I'm happy.
:nono: The grammar police still are watching you.
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”